CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I wonder if a Canadian MLS team would opt out if they win the MLS tourney

I think teams want to play. If there is a way for them to play they'll play. Depending on how things go with the MLS the alternative could be stay at home and stare at the wall

1 hour ago, narduch said:

They are not allowed to according to a prior agreement between MLS, USSF, CSA and Concacaf.  Now, one of the teams, if they win, could field a weaker team.

The other consideration is, given the Feds refused the Blue Jays in their request to play at home vs. the rest of MLB teams, I can't see how the 3 MLS teams will get permission to play at home vs. the US teams.  The Voyageurs Cup may be all that's left for them at home after the MLS is Back tourney.

2 hours ago, SadOnMondays said:

It's weird flashscore has a CPL game listed for today as postponed

My phone app shows that too. Every time I go in it's right at the top with my favourite leagues. Valour was supposed to host Forge today.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I'd say no. League and cup double, right?

Edited by Trois Reds

8 hours ago, Ivan said:

They are not allowed to according to a prior agreement between MLS, USSF, CSA and Concacaf.  Now, one of the teams, if they win, could field a weaker team.

The other consideration is, given the Feds refused the Blue Jays in their request to play at home vs. the rest of MLB teams, I can't see how the 3 MLS teams will get permission to play at home vs. the US teams.  The Voyageurs Cup may be all that's left for them at home after the MLS is Back tourney.

I would think the 3 MLS teams could still play each other, before departing for the US to complete any limited season.

I could see the MLS arranging at least some kinda regional competition including the 3 Canadian teams playing each other. But on the flip side it does definitely bolster the Voyageurs Cup. I could see the CSA throwing the MLS teams a bone and allowing their reserve sides in. I typically wouldn't at all be a fan but it could create some goodwill 

6 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Can't read it.

The Gale quote in the article is about a single-site option and is from May:

"Economically, I don’t see how it makes sense," Gale told the Free Press in May on the single-site solution idea.

"There’s no revenue coming in. To put that many people into hotels, per diems, food, everything else, financially, I don’t think it makes sense."

Individual sacrifice, I don’t think it makes sense. Ultimately, I’m not going to be the one who makes the decision as that’s above my paygrade, but I’m not a fan."

And the bit on Bustos:

The players do, however, have one thing going for them and it’s the fact they’re still being paid. It was originally announced in April that they’d be hit with a 25 per cent salary deferral. That 25 per cent has now been taken off the table entirely and players won’t be getting it back. It’s a significant pay cut considering there are players in the league who make less than $20K a season. The highest-paid player in the league is Pacific FC’s Marco Bustos, a Winnipeg native, who signed a deal worth over $60K this offseason.

12 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

My son plays soccer and they’ve had a couple players come out to practices pretty regularly. Got an update saying they wouldn’t be attending as they are entering quarantine as they’re starting up soon. Maybe this time it’s actually happening?

Where does your son play soccer?

Or: what CPL team would this be?

Or: don't answer, we'll keep sleuthing....