Dominik Yankov

jordan

23 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Given Herdmans comments about having one squad for WCQ, one for Gold Cup and then there is U23 for Olympics too. We should see ALOT of new faces and at worst a huge chance of cap tying a few newbies. 

Agree.  And the GC would be a full senior call up for guys like Yankov and would cap tie them (as much as that means anything now with the latest FIFA rule tweak).  While it would be nice to be able to send full side teams to everything, the silver lining is that we should get to deepen the player pool and see a lot of new folks that we have wondered about in very competitive game situations.  

Yankov looks like the breakout player this year for our program.  I’m glad he’s going with Canada and he really could develop into a big piece for us.

There’s not a lot of 20 year olds in our program playing at a Champions League/ Europa League level and it’s always great to get talent like that in our program.

1 hour ago, Buchta said:

Called up to the Bulgarian U21 team for U21 qualifiers vs Latvia and Poland.

Доминик Янков

120602577_3156920087749714_7565776015427891384_o.jpg

I believe in an interview he mentioned he was going to finish his U21 Euro qualifying commitments because he didn't want to just abandon his team and teammates in the middle of qualification.

Edited by VinceA

For anyone curious, the name in the black box is his. Backwards N's make "i" sounds, H's make "n" sounds, B's make "v" sounds. I didn't know about the first characters in either name, but just looked up his first character in his first name, and apparently it decends from the greek letter "delta", just like the letter D, and backwards R's do make a "Ya" sound.

That ends this lesson in the Cyrillic alphabet, taught by someone that only speaks English :D

image.png.e995c2915ff1767ac5f28e57de3543c1.png

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

So who is the best of the three? Corbeanu, Yankov or Amuz?

Seems like Corbeanu has the highest ceiling, but Yankov is playing at the highest level. If Corbeanu can break into the Wolves first team, he'd obviously be the one playing at the highest level, but it remains to be seen. All we know right now is the kid is tearing up the Premier League 2, I think he has 2 goals in 3 games to start the season, or something like that. 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Seems like Corbeanu has the highest ceiling, but Yankov is playing at the highest level. If Corbeanu can break into the Wolves first team, he'd obviously be the one playing at the highest level, but it remains to be seen. All we know right now is the kid is tearing up the Premier League 2, I think he has 2 goals in 3 games to start the season, or something like that. 

His skills, speed and height make him a tremendous prospect. I bet he gets a look in The next year or so on the first team. 

1 minute ago, Mikmacdo said:

His skills, speed and height make him a tremendous prospect. I bet he gets a look in The next year or so on the first team. 

Yeah I see it the same way. I think/hope he can even crack the 18 for some cup games this season, maybe even make his debut. We'll have to see. I am trying not to get too ahead of myself on him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he at least makes the first team bench at some point in 20/21

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

if you are curious 

Well it is as exciting as hell, until he gets to Akinola and uses the same tone for him as the other guys. Really, if anyone thinks Akinola is close to us, after years of UNMNT call-ups they are deluded. 

So I am not at all surprised by the Yankov "turnaround", because it is no such think, it was as reliable a Herdman-sourced story as you could imagine.     

So the rest falls apart right there, naive journalist being taken for a ride by a BSing manager.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well it is as exciting as hell, until he gets to Akinola and uses the same tone for him as the other guys. Really, if anyone thinks Akinola is close to us, after years of UNMNT call-ups they are deluded. 

So I am not at all surprised by the Yankov "turnaround", because it is no such think, it was as reliable a Herdman-sourced story as you could imagine.     

So the rest falls apart right there, naive journalist being taken for a ride by a BSing manager.

I get the sense that Akinola is very much up in the air still. I don't take much from "talks are positive" comment. It just comes off as wishful.

I am slightly more optimistic hearing that communication between the CSA and Akinola continues, but if nothing changes I am viewing him as a USMNT player in waiting. Obviously he is more in play than Marmoush and Ferdi (who we can stop talking about now).

40 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The thing is with Akinola, and this extends to guys like Corbeanu and Yanko is Canada is cheap AF and doesn't do youth camps anymore until they have to for tournaments.

If I'm a youth player who would like to play for Canada one day but have another nationality why wouldn't I play, get more recognition internationally with another country if Canada never holds any camps?

Look at any other youth player, see how many caps they have at youth level and compare that to our guys. It's a joke that we don't play youth friendlies anymore.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Also has set up 2 or 3 goals, and had a shot deflect off a defender for an OG.