Dominik Yankov

jordan

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Yes, would still require a switch.

So had we played a friendly and called him up, the paper work for the switch would have  had to have been in place? This makes his assertion of playing for the team that calls him up first a bit dubious no? A bit like Tomori.  Herdman has done very well in getting players into our program  ( Eustaquio, Tabla, Brym, Bassong etc) and  would have made a good case to Yankov I have no doubt.  I get the feeling he wanted to play for Bulgaria. Time to refocus on the lads that are proud to wear our shirt.. there  is more talent coming up the pipeline right here in Canada.

Edited by Kadenge

On 10/1/2020 at 8:10 AM, VinceA said:

I believe in an interview he mentioned he was going to finish his U21 Euro qualifying commitments because he didn't want to just abandon his team and teammates in the middle of qualification.

Lolololololol

thought this sounded naive even when it was posted

ps - not a personal comment in any way - we got schooled by a 20 year old

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Im more pointing out how ridiculous it was for Wheeler to grandstand publicly share all the "insider knowledge" (i.e. speculation) he had, irrespective of what Yankov's decision was. 

As I posted when I heard it, the moment Wheeler says what he does about Akinola, you know the rest is unreliable. That careless optimism about a guy fully in the US system for years, it was not believable. Which meant for me the rest was not either.

Then, as we did hear the report on Yankov and call-ups, all that happened was that he followed through. Canada did not even make the choice hard for him. 

As for Bulgaria, however much you want to diss them, they are there, and there is no reason why their football can't rise again, they certainly have the tradition and the passion. If he feels it, as he probably does on the team he is, then all power to him. 

It’s concerning that he’s in the squad but I doubt he plays . He’s coming in for an Injured player with zero caps but has been involved in the national team since 2018 . I’m assuming they are just taking a closer look, this happened with Akindele with the US so let’s just hope he doesn’t get cap tied

55 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

It’s concerning that he’s in the squad but I doubt he plays . He’s coming in for an Injured player with zero caps but has been involved in the national team since 2018 . I’m assuming they are just taking a closer look, this happened with Akindele with the US so let’s just hope he doesn’t get cap tied

But they'd be silly and fools to not give him 2 minutes at the end of the match, regardless of the score and situation.  You're locking down solid young talent.  There is no way they don't pull a Southgate/Tomori.   

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

So has Ludogorets just gone from my most loved Bulgarian team to my most hated Bulgarian team or do I have to wait for him to be cap tied first? I need some guidance.

They have Kael Dimitrov there, it could get worse in 5 years when he’s not capped by us

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As for Bulgaria, however much you want to diss them, they are there, and there is no reason why their football can't rise again, they certainly have the tradition and the passion. If he feels it, as he probably does on the team he is, then all power to him. 

Bulgaria is pretty piss poor at the moment, and has been for some time - not qualifying for a major tournament in 16 years.  I’m sure he’s closer to becoming an important player to their senior program than he is to Canada’s which may be a factor.
He probably has gotten a lot of pressure from his club team to commit to Bulgaria and maybe even some assurances that he will feature - with many of these second tier national leagues, the top club teams are intertwined with the National federation, basically dictating who gets called up and who plays.

For the people talking about how long it has been since Bulgaria made it to a tournament, they are 2 wins away from the 2021 Euros (if I understand correctly. The system seems more complicated than any competition I have seen before).

Also, maybe I am being pedantic, but I cringe every time I see someone mention how Canada is “guaranteed” a spot in 2026. FIFA has NOT yet said that all 3 hosts will get a spot. The 2021 Euros are a more extreme example than 2026, but hosts weren’t guaranteed spots in that tournament. Canada and Mexico will be the first hosts to be hosting less than half the games (even less than a fifth of the games) and also the first hosts to not be hosting any games in the last few rounds (can’t remember if all quarter finals are intended to be hosted by the USA or if USA’s monopoly starts in the semis).

thanks @Kent for the sad stat,  just reminds me why I’m so anti-USA especially with this “”jOiNt WoRlD cUp”.

They and Mexico finagled there way into convincing Canada/CSA that this is a good thing. Without games in Mexico, anywhere they play would feel like home support - we’ve consistently seen it. Without the automatic birth for us, we are no better than a hooker who’s used for pleasing. In this case, it would be the higher powers.  I said from the jump that I didn’t like the idea...then it turned to 10 games, and all the finals held in the US. 

I don’t want to be too pessimistic more than I have, but without the official guarantee of an automatic birth - we’re giving the promises of a used car salesmen.

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

thanks @Kent for the sad stat,  just reminds me why I’m so anti-USA especially with this “”jOiNt WoRlD cUp”.

They and Mexico finagled there way into convincing Canada/CSA that this is a good thing. Without games in Mexico, anywhere they play would feel like home support - we’ve consistently seen it. Without the automatic birth for us, we are no better than a hooker who’s used for pleasing. In this case, it would be the higher powers.  I said from the jump that I didn’t like the idea...then it turned to 10 games, and all the finals held in the US. 

I don’t want to be too pessimistic more than I have, but without the official guarantee of an automatic birth - we’re giving the promises of a used car salesmen.

Like someone who says they'll commit to you

6 hours ago, Kent said:

For the people talking about how long it has been since Bulgaria made it to a tournament, they are 2 wins away from the 2021 Euros (if I understand correctly. The system seems more complicated than any competition I have seen before).

Also, maybe I am being pedantic, but I cringe every time I see someone mention how Canada is “guaranteed” a spot in 2026. FIFA has NOT yet said that all 3 hosts will get a spot. The 2021 Euros are a more extreme example than 2026, but hosts weren’t guaranteed spots in that tournament. Canada and Mexico will be the first hosts to be hosting less than half the games (even less than a fifth of the games) and also the first hosts to not be hosting any games in the last few rounds (can’t remember if all quarter finals are intended to be hosted by the USA or if USA’s monopoly starts in the semis).

I hadn't realized how crazy the Euro Qualifiers are this cycle. Seems a bit ridiculous to give a team from League D of Nations League a big doesn't it? 

8 hours ago, Kent said:

65% or 36 out of 55 nations have either qualified or are 2 wins away... I don’t think this necessarily speaks to the quality of a side with the current format of qualification.  I guess my point was that he wasn’t choosing Bulgaria because they were the superior side (now or in the foreseeable future), but rather he’d have a better chance to be a regular member, and a lot sooner.

Edited by TOcanadafan

9 hours ago, Kent said:

See above post pls.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

If you go back to Montagliani interview, he said once the tournament has been awarded, it's FIFA'S tournament, not the USSF or CSA or FMF.

FIFA are under no obligations to follow the bid book.

That being said, Vancouver not being there is a blow and Alberta potentially not helping Edmonton would be terrible as obviously, the more stadiums you get in there the most games you could get.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if FIFA doesn't split the knockout games and leave them all in the US.