Dominik Yankov

jordan

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Couldn't find the thread, not sure if there is one but ill move it later if not. Looks like Yankov has been in touch with Canada. Credit to @Buchta

They do know the list was released right?  He wasn't on it... 

We also weren't going to an olympic football tournament in Tokyo, so there's that as well.

Edited by CanadaFan123

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

They do know the list was released right?  He wasn't on it... 

We also weren't going to an olympic football tournament in Tokyo, so there's that as well.

I’m sure some sort of communication happened, olympics were to be in Tokyo, something was perhaps lost in translation. This guy likely doesn’t gain anything releasing this if some sort of convo didn’t happen

18 minutes ago, jordan said:

I’m sure some sort of communication happened, olympics were to be in Tokyo, something was perhaps lost in translation. This guy likely doesn’t gain anything releasing this if some sort of convo didn’t happen

Haven't we seen this in the past where stuff like this is used to pressure the FA for the country they do want to play for into making a decision?

"Hey FA, Canada's looking to call me up and cap-tie me, so if you want me you better make a decision soon."

For some reason I thought this happened in the recent past with someone else.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Haven't we seen this in the past where stuff like this is used to pressure the FA for the country they do want to play for into making a decision?

"Hey FA, Canada's looking to call me up and cap-tie me, so if you want me you better make a decision soon."

Absolutely this happens.

But given the amount of football being played right now it’s likely hard to pressure someone. 

1 hour ago, jordan said:

That's just a minor point for sure... but the main point is that we already released a 50 man prelim squad and he wasn't on it.  The only names left off were Davies and David and it even featured an unknown like Sturing.  If Yankov was committed there's no doubt he would have been on the list at least.

So as @El Hombre suggested this looks like some agent spinning.  

Why would he want to play for Bulgaria at this stage?  He's the same age as Davies/David and will be 26 in 2026 - he would be a fool to stay with Bulgaria unless he doesn't like his chances with Canada.That's another question but this smells a lot like Fraser Aird/Kris Twardek.  I do think he'll be back with Canada and maybe this is just a way to keep both federations alert.  

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, I believe this has happened at least once or twice. Having trouble remembering who. Cristante maybe?

Didnt we hear another rumor of a guy not on V's radar (the israeli guy was too old i think)  that was supposed to have been contacted about the u-23 tournie but it didnt work out??  If this is the case kudos to Herdman AND Co for at least getting new guys interested.  

Maybe he was contacted but didn't make the final list of 50?  He is a midfielder, correct?  So which of Tabla, Nelson, Fraser, Okello, Shome, Millar, Borges, Shaffelburg, Bayiha, Daniels, Choinere, Metcalf, Norman, Paton, Raposo or Verhoeven does he replace?

58 minutes ago, Shway said:

For anyone interested. He seems quite the number 8. 

Thanks for the highlight video.  I obviously don't know the answer to the question I posted above.  I just think we have many players playing at the same or better level so it is not like he is an automatic choice if he decides to choose us over Bulgaria.  Those days are long gone (see Aird and Twardek as someone posted above,  and even Tabla!)

Seems to be a good young player. Sort of a cross between an Osorio and Arfield in style. May have a tough time getting games over those two or Kaye, but he has time on his side. Would not lose sleep if he chose Bulgaria, but I would be happy for him to be part of our young up and coming generation.

If he joined our program today I think he would be competing directly with Shome and Liam Fraser for call ups. 

12 hours ago, Ivan said:

Thanks for the highlight video.  I obviously don't know the answer to the question I posted above.  I just think we have many players playing at the same or better level so it is not like he is an automatic choice if he decides to choose us over Bulgaria.  Those days are long gone (see Aird and Twardek as someone posted above,  and even Tabla!)

Agreed. Kind of like Leutiwiler....if there's a comparable genuine Canadian or two they get my choice every day of the week.

3 hours ago, nolando said:

Agreed. Kind of like Leutiwiler....if there's a comparable genuine Canadian or two they get my choice every day of the week.

Sorry, a genuine Canadian? What does that even mean?  He was born in Canada. 

Yankov played youth soccer in the Toronto area for a number of years.

Edited by Buchta

Canadians that are so loved by UEFA A Level youth soccer coaches who didn't get a job at the CSA become "real." And although they become a little scruffy they learn to keep their options open in case anything better comes along. Phonzie and David's kid's will figure this out, but it takes a generation to build up sufficient levels of entitlement where you have someone to pick up your toys for you.

Edit: Sorry, read the Velveteen Rabbit to my kid the other day. Not sure what I'm trying to say really. Pandemic insanity setting in...

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

• 1 month later...

Good interview. Thanks to Thomas Nef for doing this.

I definitely respect Yankov's approach. He does not want to abandon Bulgaria U-21 during their qualifying cycle, hence he has not filed a one-time switch. He also says he will commit to whatever team calls him to the senior team, so I guess that is the caveat. 

He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. Good luck to him and I hope he plays for us. He does seem to have a genuine interest in representing the Maple Leaf!

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt he have to file a one time switch either way? Or can you go back and forth with youth teams??  

He'd have to file a one-time switch since he's played for Bulgaria in U-21 Euro Qualifiers. As of right now he's provisionally cap-tied.