Dominik Yankov

jordan

32 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Ok..point stands. I don’t think most 20 year old kids are going to make their choice based on that. 6 years is a lifetime for a footballer.

I agree and I would also say that if he’s choosing Bulgaria over Canada at this stage it could be a genuine feeling that he is more Bulgarian. Hard to be mad about if that’s the case. Not a mercenary like some past players. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s already been confirmed that we have a spot for 2026.

Are you saying that specifically to annoy me after my last post? Or do you have a source.

From Wikipedia “The FIFA Council is expected to decide which hosts, if any, will receive automatic qualifications to the tournament.[13][15][16] The United Bid personnel anticipated that all three host countries would be awarded automatic places.”

There is a difference between the bidders saying they think they will each get a spot, and FIFA confirming that they in fact do each get a spot. Heck, we even have a precedent for a similar ruling when CONCACAF thought they would be allowed to use their own rankings for seeding World Cup Qualifiers, only for FIFA to rule that they can’t.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

And even if he plays today, is he still eligible for a one time switch based on the new rules? Is the new rule official?

I believe he would be, but not until it has been 3 years since his last Bulgaria game so probably pretty unlikely at that point since that would suggest he will be a part of their program. 

24 minutes ago, Kent said:

Are you saying that specifically to annoy me after my last post? Or do you have a source.

From Wikipedia “The FIFA Council is expected to decide which hosts, if any, will receive automatic qualifications to the tournament.[13][15][16] The United Bid personnel anticipated that all three host countries would be awarded automatic places.”

There is a difference between the bidders saying they think they will each get a spot, and FIFA confirming that they in fact do each get a spot. Heck, we even have a precedent for a similar ruling when CONCACAF thought they would be allowed to use their own rankings for seeding World Cup Qualifiers, only for FIFA to rule that they can’t.

Victor Montagliani let it slip in late July I believe. 

he still wouldn't be permanently tied, new fifa rule would still allow him to file a switch given his age and the fact he isn't playing in a tournament. If I was Yankov's agent I'd be telling him the exact same thing, try out different programs before committing, see what is a best fit. All we can do now is wait and see to be honest. I still think Wheeler announcing publicly what he discussed with Herdman was amateur and naive to do, and only confirmed my concern that it could trigger something like this happening, the same goes for Ayo and the USSF

14 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Yankov has nothing to lose since he is already provisionally capped with Bulgaria, we might not like it, but he is being pragmatic and doing what any reasonable young person with a long term view of their career should do

You mean with a short-term view? I could care less either way TBH but this decision is anything but pragmatic given the circumstances.

He is a man of his word I'll give him that - he did take the first call he received.

Well that sucks! Hope he still switches, thank god for the new FIFA rules. I understand it’s Covid and crazy times. But how is it that CSA is like the king for closed door friendlies and they couldn’t get something done here. Like they were able to get a friendly vs New Zealand in the middle of Spain before. I hope they push hard for Dias and get Passacquale into the youth program quick.