Dominik Yankov

jordan

@Free kick I made a post about it earlier somewhere in this thread, but can you remind me where players like Piette, James, Kaye, Osorio, Miller, Laryea etc were all playing in their early 20's? Because they were in a even less than admirable position than Yankov right now. He just got the start for the top team in Bulgaria who participates in Europa cup often.

Instead of looking at youtube and google, actually watch him play instead of coming up with that God awful argument of yours.

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I dont mean to pick on this kid in particular.    I went through the first two pages of most recent posts for the players in this section of the forum MNT.  What i noticed is that more than half of the threads for player in this forum are for players whose pedigree/profile/resume does NOT or should not be of any interest to anyone involved or who follows the National team in canada.   
this has been a beef of mine for a very long.  Someone might say, so what?   Ok i will give an example.   On another thread,  some poster (who in my mind has little credibility) reponded to with the names of one of these guys in order to rebuttle the notion that Pozuelo would be a good player to naturalize.    So I thought,  why havent i ever heard of this guy?   Did a five minute search.   Five minutes i will never get back.  All i could think of is that that guy has no knowledge of soccer.   If you think that half of these guys on these two pages have a more impressive resume than Poz, then you know little or nothing.   But, there are people who pick on this stuff and run with it. 

I think the Pozuelo thing is a bit apples or oranges. He is 28 whereas Yankov is 19.  In my experience, the guys that posters tend to get a bit excited about are the young kids - ie. those who are seen as probably having more potential.  Sure not all of them are worldbeaters, but any 18 or 19 year old Canada-eligible player who is playing at a reasonably high level will generate some buzz.  

34 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

@Free kick I made a post about it earlier somewhere in this thread, but can you remind me where players like Piette, James, Kaye, Osorio, Miller, Laryea etc were all playing in their early 20's? Because they were in a even less than admirable position than Yankov right now. He just got the start for the top team in Bulgaria who participates in Europa cup often.

Instead of looking at youtube and google, actually watch him play instead of coming up with that God awful argument of yours.

But you can watch those guys play.  Turn on the TV.   Go watch an academy game.   Give me an honnest answer:  have you watched Bulgarian soccer?   Maybe unintended, but  you automatically dissing and pre-judging the structures that we have here in north america in favour of the notion that “ if its Europe, it must be better”.   Europe is very different from country to country.  Invetsment, Infrastucture, national economy, etc etc.  are different from country to country.   and profesional soccer in europe is exactly the same.  What we now have here in North american is a lot better than what there is in the vast majority of countries in europe.   So yes,  i am going to be more interested in akid who is here.  

you  cant  watch a guy who plays in some second tier euro league in canada.  Unless you go to the extreme.  I brought this up before but Nobody here on this forum has ever watched or been able to watch club games from these second teir leagues or clubs in europe.  Hell its hard enough to find a source that will show you LOSC games.   So we are giving credibility and pumping up the tires of playsers we cant watch or have never watched at the expense of the guys that you can watch.   Why? Does that make sence to you?   It doesnt to me.  There are some people here cutting up and dessecting the play and abilities of player like Liam Fraser.  But thats becaue you watch Fraser.  So is it fair that the guys you cant see dont get the same treatment?  

Edited by Free kick

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think the Pozuelo thing is a bit apples or oranges. He is 28 whereas Yankov is 19.  In my experience, the guys that posters tend to get a bit excited about are the young kids - ie. those who are seen as probably having more potential.  Sure not all of them are worldbeaters, but any 18 or 19 year old Canada-eligible player who is playing at a reasonably high level will generate some buzz.  

But Pozuelo, at nineteen,  was playing for a much much more prestigious club.  You cant compare.  
yes, you are right about the rest of what you said. No arguments here. 

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

But you can watch those guys play.  Turn on the TV.   Go watch an academy game.   Give me an honnest answer:  have you watched Bulgarian soccer?   You cant  watch a guy who plays in some second tier euro league.   I brought this up before but Nobody here on this forum has ever watched or been able to watch club games from these second teir leagues or clubs in europe.  Hell its hard enough to find a source that will show you LOSC games.   So we are give credibility and pumping up the tires of playsers we cant watch or have never watched at the expense of the guys that you can watch.   Does that make sence to you?   There are some people here cutting up and dessecting the play and abilities of player like Liam Fraser.  But thats becaue you watch Fraser.  So is it fair that the guys you cant see dont get the same treatment?  

I know it's not the case of everybody here, but I HAVE watched him. I've watched him a good amount of times now. Including his last match just the other day.

Yes, there are people here hyping him without watching him, but the thing is you're guilty of doing something similar . You just completely discredited him without watching him.

If you're going to call out people for hyping a player they never seen, than lets not drag the players name through the mud without ever watching him either.

It's one thing to maybe be skeptical and not join in on the hype, that's fine, but to completely call him out for having to play in a empty stadium that you saw on youtube is such an odd argument. Again, especially considering he's in a much better position at his age than a lot of our current players were when they were 20 years old.

18 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I know it's not the case of everybody here, but I HAVE watched him. I've watched him a good amount of times now. Including his last match just the other day.

Yes, there are people here hyping him without watching him, but the thing is you're guilty of doing something similar . You just completely discredited him without watching him.

If you're going to call out people for hyping a player they never seen, than lets not drag the players name through the mud without ever watching him either.

It's one thing to maybe be skeptical and not join in on the hype, that's fine, but to completely call him out for having to play in a empty stadium that you saw on youtube is such an odd argument. Again, especially considering he's in a much better position at his age than a lot of our current players were when they were 20 years old.

But i didnt really discredit him.  I said, based on what is known here about him in the absence of seeing him play,  there is  nothing in his resume that should be of interest to the national team or followers of the national team.  Did you see every single canadian playing?  Like the guys in the Ontario league one?   Ever see them.  I didnt. So does that mean i cant pass judgement on player based on where he is playing when dicussing national team prospects.    Well every national team and nation team coaches in every sport does that.   Where you play does matter.    If he really impressed, he would be picked up by a better, more prominant club. 

edit.:  again,  i am in no way intending to pick on this player.   More than fify percent of the player threads in the MNT, should not be of any significaance the the Canadian national teams or national team followers.    Obviously, there might migh be one or two where that could change.  But i want to hear about it when it does. Not before.

Edited by Free kick

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

This has been real a bullshït hot take. The kid is 18, playing first team ball for a team that recently played in the champions league, and regularly plays in Europa.

@Free kick let me know when you want to watch a game, and I’ll provide a link. So you can have a better point.

From what i gather,  he is 20.  As for your second point.  Thanks.  But i am not interested.   Send me the link if he ever gets transferred to a better club/ team country/ league, plays more minutes, plays for the senior team etc etc etc.  

as i said,  where you play does matter.   Regardless of the sport.   In basketball,  you can fall in draft or not get drafted if you played college ball in weak conference.   Weak conferences have smaller schools with smaller recuiting budgets and by extension cheaper infratsucures and weaker talent.    Every now and then there are guy who break the mold.  The scouting report on Pascal Siakim, said that the competion he faced was too weak.  So he fell to the raptors in the draft.    But by and large teams clubs and evaluators judge you based on your competion.  If you want to play in the nba,  dont play in the CIs or some poor conference.  In soccer, the differnces are exponentially more pronounced than in college basketball.

This happens in every single sport.  And its no differnt in any other sport when it comes to national team selections.   So tell this kid, that if he wants to play for our MNT, he needs to find a better club. 

Edited by Free kick

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

as i said,  where you play does matter.   Regardless of the sport.   In basketball,  you can fall in draft or not get drafted if you played college ball in weak conference.   Weak conferences have smaller schools with smaller recuiting budgets and by extension cheaper infratsucures.   Every now and then there are guy who break the mold.  The scouting report on Pascal Siakim, said that the competion he faced was too weak.  So he fell to the raptors in the draft.    But by and large teams clubs and evaluators judge you based on your competion.  If you want to play in the nba,  dont play in the CIs or some poor conference.  In soccer, the differnces are exponentially more pronounced than in college basketball.

This happens in every single sport.  And its no differnt in any other sport when it comes to national team selections.   So tell this kid, that if he wants to play for our MNT, he needs to find a better club. 

Well that’s not entirely factual is it?

some examples of players you may of heard of who played at small schools or schools in poor conferences.

Steph Curry - played at Davidson, seems to be doing ok in the NBA

how about 🇨🇦‘S own Steve Nash from Santa Clara University?

Larry Bird...heard of him? Indiana State Sycamores

the newly names NBA rookie of the year JA Morant is from Murray State.

How about Hall of Famers like Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone or David Robinson? All small school, non power conference players.

My point is, if a player is good enough someone will find him and he’ll move onto a more challenging situation. This 20 year old kid is far from the finished product, so give him a chance to develop and hope he turns into a great player.

Edited by Strait Red

I don't understand what Free Kick has against Ludogorets or the Bulgarian league. Yankov clearly seems like a decent young player, regardless of what you make of the club or league he is playing in. I think the excitement level around him is right where it ought to be. I don't think we'd cry if he chooses Bulgaria, but it would be nice for our depth if he chooses us. If he was selected to a WCQ roster at this very moment I doubt he would start, but I wouldn't have too much problem with him coming off the bench. 

I know it is transfermarket, but their valuation would put them in 8th, behind LA Galaxy and above Seattle. CSKA Sofia, the 2nd most valuable team, would be 22nd in MLS. The rest of the league pretty much have USL-C/CanPL level valuations, so yeah the league is relatively weak, but I put more stock in the fact he is getting minutes at his club, which as stated would be a top half MLS club in all likelihood.

Edited by Obinna

14 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Well that’s not entirely factual is it?

some examples of players you may of heard of who played at small schools or schools in poor conferences.

Steph Curry - played at Davidson, seems to be doing ok in the NBA

how about 🇨🇦‘S own Steve Nash from Santa Clara University?

Larry Bird...heard of him? Indiana State Sycamores

How about Hall of Famers like Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone or David Robinson? All small school, non power conference players.

My point is, if a player is good enough someone will find him and he’ll move onto a more challenging situation. This 20 year old kid is far from the finished product, so give him a chance to develop and hope he turns into a great player.

Now you are cherry picking my examples rather than addressing my main point.  There are over 50 Div 1 conferences in basketball.  Some are weaker than the CIS.   As i said,  in european soccer, compared to US college basketball,  the differenecs are even more pronounced.  For vast variety of reasons (economic, country, etc).   Yes, Most of the players you mentioned didnt play in the power eight conferences.   They played in the at-large conferences.  I acknowledged that there are exceptions.   But the players you mentioned still played in schools wherebthere would be some visibiity.  Santa clara is not some cream puwff school.  But as i said, if you cant tell the difference between and EPL game and a Championship game, then i dont know what to tell you guys anymore.   And it even more pronounced when you look at europe as whole.  

i am not continuing on this.   I stand by my point.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't understand what Free Kick has against Ludogorets or the Bulgarian league.

which as stated would be a top half MLS club in all likelihood.

To your first point, as i said many times here.   I have nothing against Bulgaria or that club.   I said,  playing in that club or league is not significant nor warrant mention in regards national teams for canada.

in regards to your last point.  All i can say is WOW.  You have a really low opinion of MLS.  This is a club in a country of 6.7 million people which was in the former eastern block. And hence where private enterprise is new.  Your saying that MLS, which operates in a combined economy (Canada and the US) of 400 million people, and where most of the largest companies (ie.: sponsorship revenues) in the world resides cant compete for talent globally against a former eastern block country of 6.7 million people.  

Your saying that MLS with with average attandances that exceeds what serie A attained, cant compete with Bulgarian clubs?   Your saying that investors like MLSE, who are entities worth some 4 billion dollars, dont have the financial wherewith to acquire pay talent to the level of the clubs in Bulgaria?   And cant invest more in development.  Your saying that in the league where stadiums are relatively new versus a country where most stadiums are over 30-40 years old, its the the league with the older infrastructure that has the economic advantge.    
It should be clear to anyone that economic earning power will drive your ability to pay and aquire talent.  Talent will go where the money is.  I dont want to hear an argument on this point.    It is absolutely un realistic and even illogical that the talent could be better on the Bulgarian clubs.   These are facts.  

finally,   As far as national teams,  you would have to go back to the days of Stoichkov when you would see Bulgaria at the WC or the Euros.   Who has  has done more internationally, the US or bulgaria?  

euro snobbery has always been a problem in north america.  Even on this forum.  Too much of an unwarranted inferiority complex exist.  According to some, Everything in europe is better when it comes to soccer.   There is no way we need to envy the majority of the european countries with our clubs, competeitions and infrastrures.  Yes i know we cant compare ourselves in soccer leagues to the countries with the larger enconomies in europe.  Particularly in western europe.  That might be half a dozen to two dozen who knows.  

Edited by Free kick

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Borjan play with PFK Ludogorets Razgrad and they went too the group stage in Champions league. I’m pretty sure they played against Liverpool in their group. 
They play in Champions and Europa league a lot. So free Kick what the hell are you talking about? Oh because he plays for the TOP league in Bulgaria he’s not worthy and we shouldn’t be excited ( what a Hoser you are ) Also do some research on the kid. He spend 3 years at  Sunderland before going over to Ludogorets. To me he’s in a great spot, playing for a top club with a great chance to play mins vs some of the big boys in Europe and he’s only 20 years old. 

D1E392A3-54FA-4C16-88D8-97170503228D.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK

23 minutes ago, Free kick said:

euro snobbery has always been a problem in north america.  Even on this forum.  Too much of an unwarranted inferiority complex exist.  According to some, Everything in europe is better when it comes to soccer.   There is no way we need to envy the majority of the european countries with our clubs, competeitions and infrastrures.  Yes i know we cant compare ourselves in soccer leagues to the countries with the larger enconomies in europe.  Particularly in western europe.  That might be half a dozen to two dozen who knows.  

I am tired of hearing about North American snobbery over Eastern European countries. Going over the past two pages, this is what it seems like.  Snobbery can go both ways.  

7 minutes ago, Buchta said:

In this case it is North American soccer snobbery because he is playing in Bulgaria.

I wonder what they think in Bulgaria about MLS or CPL?    Do you think that they speak about this competitions with the same revererance that we see in this thread about the Bulgarian clubs. My guess is that no one there has ever of heard of our leagues and clubs. My guess is that you wont find an eight page thread on MLS or CPL

Edited by Free kick

How many Bulgarians are playing in the CPL and MLS right now?  We are talking about the Bulgarian league because a Canadian is playing in it.  If there was a Bulgarian playing in the MLS, perhaps they might talk about him?   For example, I know Czech soccer fans were talking about the MLS over the past couple of years because there were two Czech players playing in the league.  I doubt they would have paid any attention to the MLS was it not for the Czech players.  The same could be said about Yankov and the Bulgarian league.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:13 PM, Free kick said:

Really?  On some clips, he is playing on fields where there are no stands (just trees).   At other times,  there are stands with seats but they are completely empty with no fans.

what does this tell us?  Answer:  these are training matches or scrimages. Or reserve matches.    Or he plays in environment /club where the infrastructure are so poor that the club can afford any kind of quality.  If you are a real promising talent and wish to put tgether a video/resume of yourself, is this the kind of environement, matches and opponents that you would include.  this should be red flag number one. 

This should tell us most of what we need to know.  I dont know why there are eight pages on this.  Or why a player of this kind of profile would be of any interest to anyone who follows the fortunes of the canadian mens nation team.   It started on page one  with a twitter post from an unknown source who said that this guy was REPORTEDLY called up.  Nothing from the CSA coaches.  That should be red flag number two.  
Red flag number three:  professional soccer player in Bulgaria.  Can you name one pro Club of any renown from Bulgaria?  Without look it up?  

Red flag number 4:   Just look at his profile, very few senior team appearance for a twenty year playing professionally in a secondary (i might be generious here) league.    I could go on and on.  
Why do Voyaguers keep getting played like fiddles.  How can anyone say that there arent countless talent right here in North american in front of our eyes with better profiles and track record.   Why do we continously let ourselves get used by people looking to boost their profile through anonymous channels. 

There’s so many ridiculous things you’ve said here that’s it’s probably not even worth acknowledging but.... 

The kid has over 40 appearances at the 1st team level at 20 years old and is now a mainstay in a Europa League team, not a farm league team, not a USL team, not a CPL team.  Ludogorets (much like clubs such as Dinamo Zagreb, Cluj, Shakhtar, Red Star etc) compete in Europe on a yearly basis which is a higher level of competition than any of the boys in MLS are experiencing.  The standard is extremely high in these clubs, the facilities are top notch, the payrolls on average are the same as MLS and in most cases bigger.  The DP’s in MLS skew things a bit but for the lost part, player for player clubs like this are much stronger than MLS sides.  Sure you can call the domestic leagues secondary in comparison to the bigger EU countries, but in Dominik’s case, he’s at a better club situation than almost any Canadian around his age (besides Davies/David) where clubs from bigger leagues in Europe regularly scout and can trust the level.  He won’t be at Ludogorets for much longer, they didn’t let him leave last window and they’ll cash out rather than let him leave free in January or sign him to a new deal.  I’m sure when you see/hear which teams are in the mix your opinion will change fast.

Btw, a freebie for all the other posters..  there’s now another Canadian playing in the U19 of Ludogorets who will be in the UEFA youth league this season👍

Edited by Footyeh

Might be worthwhile having a look at his contemporaries slumming it in Bulgaria with Ludogorets.  In addition to some Bulgarian national team regulars, you've got guys that spent time in Ligue 1, Eredivisie, Turkish Super Lig, 2. Bundesliga and are still in their prime.  Not a bad situation, in my opinion.

Edited by El Hombre

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

To your first point, as i said many times here.   I have nothing against Bulgaria or that club.   I said,  playing in that club or league is not significant nor warrant mention in regards national teams for canada.

in regards to your last point.  All i can say is WOW.  You have a really low opinion of MLS.  This is a club in a country of 6.7 million people which was in the former eastern block. And hence where private enterprise is new.  Your saying that MLS, which operates in a combined economy (Canada and the US) of 400 million people, and where most of the largest companies (ie.: sponsorship revenues) in the world resides cant compete for talent globally against a former eastern block country of 6.7 million people.  

Your saying that MLS with with average attandances that exceeds what serie A attained, cant compete with Bulgarian clubs?   Your saying that investors like MLSE, who are entities worth some 4 billion dollars, dont have the financial wherewith to acquire pay talent to the level of the clubs in Bulgaria?   And cant invest more in development.  Your saying that in the league where stadiums are relatively new versus a country where most stadiums are over 30-40 years old, its the the league with the older infrastructure that has the economic advantge.    
It should be clear to anyone that economic earning power will drive your ability to pay and aquire talent.  Talent will go where the money is.  I dont want to hear an argument on this point.    It is absolutely un realistic and even illogical that the talent could be better on the Bulgarian clubs.   These are facts.  

finally,   As far as national teams,  you would have to go back to the days of Stoichkov when you would see Bulgaria at the WC or the Euros.   Who has  has done more internationally, the US or bulgaria?  

This is clearly your issue, not that you have anything against Bulgaria or Ludogorets. Funny because in my soccer circle I am the "MLS expert". It is me they come to with questions about the league. I watch it more than any other (including CanPL). I know where you are coming from with the euro snob thing, trust me.

I maintain my opinion that excitement around Yankov is deserved. I don't believe that we are being euro snobs here. The transfermarkt valuation of Ludogorets is what it is. Do you believe MLS valuations are intentionally suppressed because of euro-snobbery?