Dominik Yankov

jordan

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Wonder if Bulgaria will beat us to it. Cant see there being room for him against Bermuda given its importance. 

If we can persuade him to file for his one time switch I guess that is enough!

I don’t see why he can’t be on the 23 man roster for the first two matches and come on as a sub in at least the second one.

1 minute ago, An Observer said:

I don’t see why he can’t be on the 23 man roster for the first two matches and come on as a sub in at least the second one.

Who knows which players will be allowed to travel by their clubs too and injuries could present opportunity. I didnt catch Herdman on TSN but on One Soccer he was extremely confident of getting all the players to these games. 

10 minutes ago, Buchta said:

He was not called up as part of the Bulgarian squad for their September friendlies.

Not called up or did he turn it down? Looking at their roster and with Bulgaria knowing he's a dual national I would find it hard to believe they wouldn't call him.

If he chooses Bulgaria over Canada at this stage I would be shocked. It would easily be the strangest defection in CanMNT history.

14 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I'd hope to see Yankov and Mitrovic called up. Both are deserving with their club play as of late

We can definitely find room for both of these guys in October. Who do they replace though? 

It seemed possible that Brym could force his way in, but Mitrovic is playing well, and Brym is not even playing, so that one is straight forward. Now, if you are of the opinion that Brym is not the competition, since he is not really in our best team, Mitrovic has to leapfrog Millar.

I am a big Liam Millar fan, but that may be right call for this camp. We cannot bring everyone. We could cap-tie Mitrovic and let Liam settle with his new team (assuming the loan somewhere in the Championship is still on). 

Speaking of Liam, I think you are looking at Liam Fraser missing out if we bring Yankov in. I would be supportive of that. Possibly it means leaving Teibert back in Vancouver as well, which would be harsh. He is playing some of the best football of his career at the moment.

Maybe there is a scenario where we call all of these guys. Send Teibert and Fraser down to the Cayman Islands game, but dress Yankov and Mitrovic against Bermuda. If we are up by a few goals, we can cap-tie them. We should have 5 subs to play with, so it seems possible if things go well.

You could also do the reverse and send the youngsters down to Cayman, but I went with the former, just in case there are quarantine considerations for those two, since they are Euro based. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not called up or did he turn it down? Looking at their roster and with Bulgaria knowing he's a dual national I would find it hard to believe they wouldn't call him.

If he chooses Bulgaria over Canada at this stage I would be shocked. It would easily be the strangest defection in CanMNT history.

I don't know, but there is the Bulgarian roster for the matches in September.

https://bfunion.bg/news/47009/0

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

Hold up on Mitrovic.

Yes, he's young and playing, but in no way do I think he's worthy of a call right now based on what I saw. I would still pick Brym over him.

Even though Brym is not playing?

I have not seen Mitrovic in a full game yet, so I will defer to your opinion. The stats look good, but stats are not everything. 

If Brym really does deserve a call ahead of him, there probably is not much risk that Serbia comes calling, unless it is for their youth teams. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Even though Brym is not playing?

I have not seen Mitrovic in a full game yet, so I will defer to your opinion. The stats look good, but stats are not everything. 

If Brym really does deserve a call ahead of him, there probably is not much risk that Serbia comes calling, unless it is for their youth teams. 

Yes. I personally don't take "playing time" as a main factor since players playing time differs on their situation and not their talent. Before you know it, you can argue players like Richie Ennin and Fazili should be regular call ups cause they're playing regularly. And I don't think that's the right approach.

Based on what I saw since Brym was with Belenenses, I trust him much more than Mitrovic. There's a lot of time in his career, but I'm personally not going to rate Mitrovic to highly. Looked pretty raw to me and I've been more impressed with other players in his age range if I'm being perfectly honest.

Of course that's all subject to change since he's still pretty young.

4 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Brym isn't even playing. Hard pass for now.

Again, I understand that. But that sets a dangerous precedent for me. What if a more talented player, playing for a better club isn't playing much compared to a less talented player playing for a weaker club. What's the conclusion? Are we really going to call up the "worse" guy of the 2? And like I mentioned earlier, if that's the case, Fazili is playing WAY more than players like Fraser yet gets no mention. Ennin is playing first team soccer compared to Millar, Tabla etc. So should we call them up too?

These guys are professionals. They're still playing reserve games and still game fit through all of this. I personally don't see much wrong with it. The only time I can see using game time as a good example is when you have players around the same skill level. But if there's a gap between them, I personally think it's just silly.

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

brym at belenenses?? he played 10 minutes

meant in reserves.  A couple of random full matches on youtube a while back, but it's been taken down.

Ludogorets has its Champions League qualifier on Wednesday against Midtjylland.

Yankov will almost certainly be starting at CM.  I wonder if James will get into the game.  Potential Canadian vs Canadian matchups in Champions League are pretty rare.

Either way of Yankov is starting his 2nd game in Champions League at age 20 he should be getting a call up this fall.

Edited by baulderdash77

49 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Ludogorets has its Champions League qualifier on Wednesday against Midtjylland.

Yankov will almost certainly be starting at CM.  I wonder if James will get into the game.  Potential Canadian vs Canadian matchups in Champions League are pretty rare.

Either way of Yankov is starting his 2nd game in Champions League at age 20 he should be getting a call up this fall.

Is Champions League on DAZN again this season? Do they show early round matches like this?

56 minutes ago, jordan said:

Seen what Brym can do, doesn’t add anything extra at the moment, you take the 17 year old starter in Serbia, and Yankov. 
17 year old starters in Serbia don’t last very long before a transfer to a better league

Agree to disagree.

Doesn't have to be Brym. But in the end of the day, I still think Mitrovic isn't ready for a call up.

2 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Again, I understand that. But that sets a dangerous precedent for me. What if a more talented player, playing for a better club isn't playing much compared to a less talented player playing for a weaker club. What's the conclusion? Are we really going to call up the "worse" guy of the 2? And like I mentioned earlier, if that's the case, Fazili is playing WAY more than players like Fraser yet gets no mention. Ennin is playing first team soccer compared to Millar, Tabla etc. So should we call them up too?

These guys are professionals. They're still playing reserve games and still game fit through all of this. I personally don't see much wrong with it. The only time I can see using game time as a good example is when you have players around the same skill level. But if there's a gap between them, I personally think it's just silly.

meant in reserves.  A couple of random full matches on youtube a while back, but it's been taken down.

If you have watched Mitrovic and Brym, and judge Mitrovic to be inferior and not of the same skill level, then fair enough.

That is kind of surprising to me though, considering Mitrovic has been playing and scoring in the Serbian league, for a club which is second in the table, while Byrm has been (presumably) playing for the reserves.

Yeah, the Belgian Pro League is stronger, but the club Brym plays for is pretty mediocre, at least based on their results. Maybe his club would be in second in Serbia for all we know, but even then Byrm is still only playing reserve team ball. 

Just to be clear, I am not making a case for Mitrovic. It just strikes me as odd. 

Edited by Obinna