Dominik Yankov

jordan

12 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Lets direct our frustration at Wheeler 😅... for real tho, i always though that was a clown move making the "assertions" he did

It’s not Wheeler, it’s the player . He got a call up because of an injury last minute and took his chance for Bulgaria

this isn’t the first time a player has changed his mind , remember Jacob Lensky ? Who was actually part of our 23 man squad and bailed out because Czech came calling?

Hoping this still plays out in our favour 

Let's no be naive to think that the media was not used by the agent to put pressure of the Bulgarian FA to get a call up.

The short and long of it, Yankov is kind of a dime a dozen talent for us at this stage.   A box to box midfielder that can't supplant any of our depth Kaye, Eustáquio, Piette, Osorio, Baldisimo, Fraser....CanPL has Sissoko.

Maybe I'm not valuing his talent as well as the rest of you are.  What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

Let's no be naive to think that the media was not used by the agent to put pressure of the Bulgarian FA to get a call up.

The short and long of it, Yankov is kind of a dime a dozen talent for us at this stage.   A box to box midfielder that can't supplant any of our depth Kaye, Eustáquio, Piette, Osorio, Baldisimo, Fraser....CanPL has Sissoko.

Maybe I'm not valuing his talent as well as the rest of you are.  What am I missing?

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to make a post like yours 😂

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Right - Bulgaria regularly plays matches, plays more high profile matches, doesn’t require the terrible concacaf travel. It’s not hard to see why he would choose Bulgaria.

Well, other than the fact Canada are hosting and guaranteed a WC appearance... The thing I'm sure he cares the most about.

I personally think this is just a case of a kid who got some poor advice put into his head. He just settled for a team with a very low chance of a WC or even a Euro appearance over a team that's guaranteed a WC birth with some rising stars.

9 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

He's really a number 10. He's not competing with half those players you listed. Majority of those aren't even box to box.

13 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

This.

4 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Well, other than the fact Canada are hosting and guaranteed a WC appearance... The thing I'm sure he cares the most about.

I personally think this is just a case of a kid who got some poor advice put into his head. He just settled for a team with a very low chance of a WC or even a Euro appearance over a team that's guaranteed a WC birth with some rising stars.

He said he would play with who ever called him first. He stuck to his word. It is pretty clear cut.

23 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

It’s not Wheeler, it’s the player . He got a call up because of an injury last minute and took his chance for Bulgaria

this isn’t the first time a player has changed his mind , remember Jacob Lensky ? Who was actually part of our 23 man squad and bailed out because Czech came calling?

Hoping this still plays out in our favour 

Im more pointing out how ridiculous it was for Wheeler to grandstand publicly share all the "insider knowledge" (i.e. speculation) he had, irrespective of what Yankov's decision was. 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Let's not forget the new FIFA rule where you can switch before 21...

This could be an opportunity to achieve a "double dream".. get a couple caps with Bulgaria and then hop back to Canada.

I am not so optimistic. If he is a man of his word he is going to stay with Bulgaria. He said he is going to play with whoever called him first. I understand people can have a change of heart, but there is no reason for him to defect. 

Perhaps he is willing to double dip though. He never said whoever I play for first I will stick with. He also never said he was test the waters. I think the probability is against us at this point though, which is very disappointed. It is definitely less than 50% if you ask me... 

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If we had a friendly this window in Europe we could have beaten Bulgaria to the punch. Not playing friendlies has consequences.

Exactly. Not playing games is killing our opportunities to recruit and get commitments from dual nationals. Should have scheduled a game in Europe and called only European-based players.

24 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

At what stage? At the stage that Canada got bounced by haiti in the last gold cup? The stage that Canada hasn't won sh!tt in 20 years? Yes, we have some exciting talent, but let's not act like Canada is some soccer superpower now. 

Also, I hate these types of posts that disparage players who aren't or may not play for Canada. So, he might not play for Canada and all of a sudden he's a mediocre, middling prospect? I see it in the Akinola thread as well. It's just frustrating; Yakov clearly has talent and who knows what his peak will be. It sucks for the program that he might be committing to Bulgaria. Nothing wrong with saying that.

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Didn't Wheeler say he interviewed Herdman about the players?  And if Herdman told him Yankov had committed, why wouldn't he report it?  Furthermore, if Yankov told Herdman ....................

Yup exactly. I do not blame Wheeler for reporting it.

As for Yankov telling Herdman he was committed and then going back on his word, that is interesting. I mean, was he honestly going to decline because he gave John his word? He went on record saying he would play with whoever calls first. I suspect by commitment it was you call me and I will play for you. That may even still be true. If he is not cap tied he can always come back. We are very much on the outside looking in now though.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am not so optimistic. If he is a man of his word he is going to stay with Bulgaria. He said he is going to play with whoever called him first. I understand people can have a change of heart, but there is no reason for him to defect. 

Perhaps he is willing to double dip though. He never said whoever I play for first I will stick with. He also never said he was test the waters. I think the probability is against us at this point though, which is very disappointed. It is definitely less than 50% if you ask me... 

Well if this is the case... I guess a friendly vs Bulgaria is in order 😁 show him what he’s missing 

I think Yankov told Herdman he would accept a call up and Herdman relayed that to Wheeler, but then Bulgaria came knocking unexpectedly. I'm not sure who got it wrong in the end in terms of communication, but it is what it is.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed. He looks like a fine player from the limited bits I've seen, and contrary to what I've seen above we don't have his type of number 10 in our squad. Even David when he plays withdrawn is a different style of player.

4 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Which still might've been some bad advice, or even lack of advice. There's just no logical sense to pick Bulgaria over Canada at this point.

Sure there is. You only say not from your perspective.

Yankov is ethnically Bulgarian. He plays for their biggest club. He plays for their youth teams. These are all logical reasons to continue with the Bulgarian senior team.

I know what you mean though. You do not rate them or their chances of playing in a major tournament relative to Canada, who will host in 2026. All very compelling in the case for Canada no doubt. That does not mean there is no logical reason to choose Bulgaria though, and it definitely does not mean he is getting bad advice. He may be, but Occam's razor bro. Simplest explanation is usually the correct one.