Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

But probably doesn't put AJ in the right footballing mindset for an away match in Honduras, does it?

Indeed. Could be fall 2024 before we even have an away match in Honduras again. He should be mature and experienced enough by then to adjust to the difference, if he isn't already.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

To each their own, I guess. Personally, I can be entertained by La Liga, the SPL, the CPL, the local premier division in Calgary, etc. 

But if you are not entertained by the brand of football they play in Scotland, fair enough. 

You have to choose, don't you think? You can't be all day. I am not going to watch Watford, sorry. If they make a promotion playoff, then sure. I don't watch Reading. 

Today I went to my local team to get some air and have a laugh, then watched At Madrid-Barça. That's a good combination. I like to go to games where if I heckle the ref he'll hear me, where the opposing coach will actually banter back to me (as the guy did today). A bit more participative.

I think the only reason I even watch Lille is because David is a goal scorer, so that is an extra feature if things go well. I like to watch Bayern because the overall quality is high, then Davies can be spectacular. I'll watch Porto and Bruges in Champions, for sure. I suppose everyone here does the same. But I am pleased for Johnston but won't watch Celtic unless it's a big match.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You have to choose, don't you think? You can't be all day. I am not going to watch Watford, sorry. If they make a promotion playoff, then sure. I don't watch Reading. 

Today I went to my local team to get some air and have a laugh, then watched At Madrid-Barça. That's a good combination. I like to go to games where if I heckle the ref he'll hear me, where the opposing coach will actually banter back to me (as the guy did today). A bit more participative.

I think the only reason I even watch Lille is because David is a goal scorer, so that is an extra feature if things go well. I like to watch Bayern because the overall quality is high, then Davies can be spectacular. I'll watch Porto and Bruges in Champions, for sure. I suppose everyone here does the same. But I am pleased for Johnston but won't watch Celtic unless it's a big match.

Yeah for sure. I don't have unlimited time to watch football (wish I did though). I haven't watched any Championship or SPL games this season, basically. I have also watched very few Lille games. I love watching David, I am a huge fan of his, but it just frusturates the hell out of me. The level of play is good and often times the games are entertaining, but I tune in strictly to see David pad his stats. The more his teammates fail to notice his intelligent runs and such, the more I would just rather watch highlights. 

I hear you on the Champions League matches with Porto, Brugge and Bayern. I make efforts to watch those for the same reasons. I would be doing the same for Celtic had they not bombed out of Europe entirely.

I haven't made the time to watch him play for Celtic yet (I regret sleeping in for the Rangers match), but early reviews are good, so when I do get around to it I know it will be a pleasing match to watch, absent of frusturation. That makes more more likely to watch Celtic vs St. Mirren than Lille vs Breast, even though the standard of the Ligue 1 match will no doubt be better. 

The same basically applies to Kone. I am more likley to watch those matches than any Lille match.

On 1/9/2023 at 4:02 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

My grandparents used to buy the bagged milk in bulk then freeze it. If you ever wanted something more watery than skim, that was it lol. 

That's because you can't really shake it after it had been opened to reinfuse the remaining fat.  You guys won't believe this (below) but I swear by it.

Many moons ago I was unemployed and looking to economize wherever possible.  I had powdered milk to use (for the breadmaker) so that was the genesis for the idea. 

I did the calculations and found out it was cheaper to buy powdered milk over regular milk, so I bought the big bag for around 25 bucks.  I would pour the bag into an empty 4L ice cream container.  So whenever I wanted to "make" milk I would "make" a couple of 1.89L plastic bottles (the type cranberry juice comes in).

Put about half a liter of water in the bottle (or about a third of the bottle) and use a funnel (made of a halfway cutoff 2L plastic pop bottle) and using a 1/2 cup measuring spoon you can add 5 (1/2 cup scoops) of the milk from the ice cream container (total of 2 1/2 cups powdered milk).  I usually put the screw cap on the bottle and shake it well before filling the rest of the water to the top of the 1.89L bottle.

Let stand in the fridge overnight and you will get probably something between 1 and 2 percent milk.  Mine is not anywhere near as watery as skim and probably tastes like 2 percent.

What are the advantages?  With a screw cap on the bottle and ability to give it a quick shake before using, it stays fresher much longer.  Because I always have a bag in reserve, I never worry about running out of milk.  I don't know the shelf time of bagged powdered milk (months?) but I would never come even close to it anyway.  Making milk this way is cheaper, although the price of powdered milk has risen.

I've probably been doing it that way for 20 years.  Some lazy folks might say it is too much work, it isn't, once you figured out a system (above) and personally I find it more convenient, I always have milk on hand.  No trips to the corner store for me.  Probably the hardest part is making sure to have clean bottles, the milk making part is quick and easy.  And again it should chill overnight or at least several hours, makes a big difference in the taste.

If some of you had bad memories of powdered milk when you were a kid (like I did) it was probably because the instructions on the bag weren't followed (adding too much water) or the container used didn't have a reliable lid so it could be shaken before serving.  And when I say shaken I mean one quick jerky up and down movement not any great opera scene.  Handy tip for young college students and cheap SOBS like me.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

Wow.  Has this topic gone sideways.

Milk in bags in the '70s.  Can't remember who but they'd give you this plastic pitcher and my Mum would just snip the corner of the bag after putting it into the pitcher and there you go.  Not sure if it was suppose to be dispensed that way but that's what she did.

Powdered milk.  The horror.  Of all the things from my school days which should have left scars not much gets to the level of choking down powdered milk.  Gawd.  In those days you got a spoonful of cod liver oil before heading out the door to the bus.  There's a rare delight for you.  The after taste of powdered milk joining a tablespoon of fish oil.  Have a good day, lads!

Think I was about 10 when we finally mutinied and she started buying the gel caps. 

The stuff you can remember sometimes.  Thanks, Alistair you fu'k.  Thought I had that little memory buried beyond recovery.   

Let's get one thing straight.....in the Lower Mainland in the late-70s and 80s, many households got bags of milk delivered by Dairyland in bags.

And, @Cheeta, the plastic jugs were specially designed for bags of milk. They even had a special took for cutting the corners of the bag so you could pour it properly.

Even growing up in Western Canada, bagged milk is on the very edge of my memory.  But that was at friends' places as a couple of our neighbours were dairies and we got ours there.

If I get an especially early start, I often say hello to the milkman out delivering here in Oxfordshire. I am sure milk delivery is a thing places in Canada but I never remember seeing it. 

I can't drink the stuff so that's probably part of my lack of knowledge.

(Am I misremembering or am I right in thinking that when I lived in Toronto briefly, some old convenience stores had something about "Milk" in their names?

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Wow.  Has this topic gone sideways.

Milk in bags in the '70s.  Can't remember who but they'd give you this plastic pitcher and my Mum would just snip the corner of the bag after putting it into the pitcher and there you go.  Not sure if it was suppose to be dispensed that way but that's what she did....

That was still a normal thing to do in London, Ont long after the 70s.

19 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Maybe you're thinking of Mac's Milk?  They were convenience stores in the 70s and 80s.  They're now mostly Circle Ks.

I was there much later than than that - early 2010s - but that's the idea.  A convenience store called "[Whatever] Milk".  Not something I had seen before but then I don't remember convenience stores at all before the Mac's (just Mac's) across from my high school, if I am honest. 

Edit: That's lie, I remember getting ?Hush Puppies? (slurpies) from the Red Rooster when a parent would break down and let us have junk food.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Even growing up in Western Canada, bagged milk is on the very edge of my memory.  But that was at friends' places as a couple of our neighbours were dairies and we got ours there.

If I get an especially early start, I often say hello to the milkman out delivering here in Oxfordshire. I am sure milk delivery is a thing places in Canada but I never remember seeing it. 

I can't drink the stuff so that's probably part of my lack of knowledge.

(Am I misremembering or am I right in thinking that when I lived in Toronto briefly, some old convenience stores had something about "Milk" in their names?

I grew up in Quebec and I definitely had a milk man who would come a couple times a week with all of our dairy products- this would’ve been the 90s, and maybe early 00s, don’t really remember when it ended.

Is Mac’s Milk not a thing in Toronto anymore (I see people saying they’re now Circle K)? It was so foreign to me when I first noticed a Mac’s which is virtually identical to Couche Tard, save for the name and English signs. 

Also, I hate milk, I don’t think I’ve bought a single bag of milk or carton as an adult. Love oat milk though.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I grew up in Quebec and I definitely had a milk man who would come a couple times a week with all of our dairy products- this would’ve been the 90s, and maybe early 00s, don’t really remember when it ended.

Is Mac’s Milk not a thing in Toronto anymore (I see people saying they’re now Circle K)? It was so foreign to me when I first noticed a Mac’s which is virtually identical to Couche Tard, save for the name and English signs. 

Also, I hate milk, I don’t think I’ve bought a single bag of milk or carton as an adult. Love oat milk though.

Even knowing how unethically they treat those oat plants?

This entire thread has served to reaffirm my decision to not watch Celtic.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Let's get one thing straight.....in the Lower Mainland in the late-70s and 80s, many households got bags of milk delivered by Dairyland in bags.

And, @Cheeta, the plastic jugs were specially designed for bags of milk. They even had a special took for cutting the corners of the bag so you could pour it properly.

I totally remember Dairyland bagged milk. I remember everything you're describing and even cutting it myself because I was home alone in the morning and getting myself ready to go to school. Then i walked to school uphill both ways in the snow. But yah bagged milk way definitely a thing in the Lower Mainland bought at Extrafoods