The Road to Qatar.

Binky

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What is going on with that program? I remember when T&T were a similar caliber to Jamaica, but the difference between their respective rosters is night and day.

Why does T&T struggle with recruitment in a way that Jamaica doesn't?

Hell, even Suriname has a more impressive squad on paper than Trinidad does. I really don't get it.

Hilarious mismanagement and corruption from the FA to the point where any attempt to reform has been blocked by FIFA because the cronies are boys with Infantino.

They also just seem to be on downswing this particular cycle.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What is going on with that program? I remember when T&T were a similar caliber to Jamaica, but the difference between their respective rosters is night and day.

- Jamaica has twice the population of T&T.

-Jamaica has a bigger diaspora in the UK

- Go to the Wikipedia pages for the demographics of both countries and take a look at the age pyramids. The difference in the number of 14 to 26 year olds (new football talent) is stark

- Luck / Random chance (on a general downswing in the last 10 years)

- The T&T FA is super broke and has been so mismanaged in recent years that it is under FIFA management right now.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hell, even Suriname has a more impressive squad on paper than Trinidad does. I really don't get it.

Was looking thru some squads this morning and even Guyana look like they could beat them. I put DR, Haiti and Guatemala ahead of T&T also. Peace & Love Trinis, just saying 

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

- Go to the Wikipedia pages for the demographics of both countries and take a look at the age pyramids. The difference in the number of 14 to 26 year olds (new football talent) is stark

- The T&T FA is super broke and has been so mismanaged in recent years that it is under FIFA management right now.

To add.... @Obinna
While the cultures of each country are similar, the economy of the two are very different. 
T&T are an oil rich land, and don't rely on tourism to sustain their economy the way Jamaica does. 

You hear a lot about people vacationing to Jamaica, even with no ties to the land. Trinidad on the other hand only has their yearly Carnival as time where they experience thousands of tourists coming. That's why Covid has hit Jamaica very hard, where it hasn't T&T.

All that influences the diaspora, as citizens have greater opportunities to work/make a living than the citizens of Jamaica would in their land. The cost of living in Jamaica is equivalent to some places in the USA, while their average weekly wage is $56 CAD. Trinidad the average for T&T is $120 CAD, while their cost of living is lower than Jamaica. 

The T&T Pro League for years was considered the golden standard for the Caribbean leagues/teams....as their players were considered professionals and paid like such (might've been jack warner influenced), but in recent years has gone to shits (although they are restructuring, along with Jamaican league).

Ultimately they don't have the talent luxuries that Jamaica, Suriname, or Curacao have - even though you would think it. They haven't been successful in getting the American fringe guys like DeLeon, Shaquille Moore, Sheannon Williams because those guys (being American) have zero affinity to the country, and you just rarely see American guys switching. That's the strong difference from being raised  as a second generation Canadian, or English vs American IMO. It's that entrenched propaganda of the USA, USA, USA.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I was aware of the population differences and had the impression the Jamaican diaspora is larger, but it's interesting to me that Suriname has basically half the population but can boast a better squad, though I expect that's due to them also having a bigger diaspora, with more concrete ties to the Netherlands than T&T would have to England or any other nation. 

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Change "we" to "some".. I'm with you! 

Just last cycle Hoilett was our god send/savior just before WCQ.. he's one of if not the best Canadian to ever play in the EPL. Only 31 this year and coming off a year where he didn't fit in Cardiff's system.. before that he was a key player. 

Now people want him dropped for Millar or Corbeanu? That's crazy talk. Maybe those two will develop to be EPL/Championship regulars but for now they're well behind Hoilett. 

Agreed. There is no way they get picked ahead of Hoillet. You don't pick a team based for WCQ on potential, you pick based on winning in the present. I think some people are playing too much FM and starting to think it is the real world! 

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

Agreed. There is no way they get picked ahead of Hoillet. You don't pick a team based for WCQ on potential, you pick based on winning in the present. I think some people are playing too much FM and starting to think it is the real world! 

Corbeanu just made his EPL debut and Millar is playing at a Championship level as well. You're saying it has nothing to do with potential, but people picking those guys ahead of Hoillet are not basing it off of potential, or "FM", they're basing it off current form. Herdman always says he picks his teams based on form so I'm not sure why Corbeanu or Millar over Hoillet, who has hardly been playing, would be surprising to anyone.

9 minutes ago, frmr said:

Corbeanu just made his EPL debut and Millar is playing at a Championship level as well. You're saying it has nothing to do with potential, but people picking those guys ahead of Hoillet are not basing it off of potential, or "FM", they're basing it off current form. Herdman always says he picks his teams based on form so I'm not sure why Corbeanu or Millar over Hoillet, who has hardly been playing, would be surprising to anyone.

I can understand your frustration with Hoilett not playing, but Millar was playing in League One and Corbeanu just made his first sub appearance. Their both promising for sure, but their current form for me doesn’t warrant them getting placed in front of Hoilett

47 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

I can understand your frustration with Hoilett not playing, but Millar was playing in League One and Corbeanu just made his first sub appearance. Their both promising for sure, but their current form for me doesn’t warrant them getting placed in front of Hoilett

I would definitely take Hoilet over these two as frankly we need his experience on a very young side. If we had more veteran side, I would consider dumping him to inject some youth as he hasn’t been playing recently. 

1 hour ago, ADP10 said:

I’m not frustrated with Hoillet’s lack of playing, it is what it is. You can make a case for Hoilett and you can make a case for the young guns, but saying Millar or Corbeanu starting over Hoilett is based purely on potential or FM fantasy is not accurate I don’t think. It depends on what the game calls for. They all offer different things.

Edited by frmr

52 minutes ago, frmr said:

I’m not frustrated with Hoillet’s lack of playing, it is what it is. You can make a case for Hoilett and you can make a case for the young guns, but saying Millar or Corbeanu starting over Hoilett is based purely on potential or FM fantasy is not accurate I don’t think. It depends on what the game calls for. They all offer different things.

Corbeanu has 10 minutes of pro experience and was average at best in those minutes. Millar was not at a championship level - he’s never even played a championship club. 

They have potential but Hoilett is a proven talent at club and international level. There have been matches where he has been dominant for us. Millar on the other hand hasn’t produced much despite playing minnows for the majority of his Canada career. Herdman knows this. 

I think it's fair to say that Millar is still a step below. At times this season he showed that he's a step above League One but he still has to prove he can play in the Championship. For now he's a super sub for Canada. Corbeanu is a different story, yes he's only just made his pro debut, but he's consistently showed that he's above U23 level and you don't get a run out in the Premier League if you don't belong there. The thing with him is he still needs to physically mature. Once he gets his man body, he'll be a force to be reckoned with. I hope Hoilett finds a club where he gets minutes but he and Corbeanu are moving in different directions right now, and if Corbeanu isn't above Hoilett (which fair enough, he probably isn't quite yet), he likely will be soon. I'd be happy with either one of the two starting on the wing to be honest.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

I think it's fair to say that Millar is still a step below. At times this season he showed that he's a step above League One but he still has to prove he can play in the Championship. For now he's a super sub for Canada. Corbeanu is a different story, yes he's only just made his pro debut, but he's consistently showed that he's above U23 level and you don't get a run out in the Premier League if you don't belong there. The thing with him is he still needs to physically mature. Once he gets his man body, he'll be a force to be reckoned with. I hope Hoilett finds a club where he gets minutes but he and Corbeanu are moving in different directions right now, and if Corbeanu isn't above Hoilett (which fair enough, he probably isn't quite yet), he likely will be soon. I'd be happy with either one of the two starting on the wing to be honest.

Liam was unplayable for most of the half season that he captained Liverpool U23s in PL2 just before he went to Charlton on loan.

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

I would definitely take Hoilet over these two as frankly we need his experience on a very young side. If we had more veteran side, I would consider dumping him to inject some youth as he hasn’t been playing recently. 

Yeah we need vets but you know and I know if Herdman calls him up, he most likely comes off the bench as a "'super sub"

We need to plan for 4 games in less than  2 weeks. We need our best and they need to be ready to go. Hoilett is one of these guys. I expect a fine line where we see our best 11 (to build familiarity and reps) but everyone also needs ample rest. The Aruba game should be preparation for Suriname but Herdman should be subbing off as many potential game 2 starters during the Aruba match.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Roster drop day guys, get your fingers ready! 

We should've had an actual competition to see if any of us could name the entire callup list perfectly. The way we call the occassional dark horse(or unattached fc type), it would've been near impossible, like trying to pick a perfect march madness bracket!

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Breaking into Wolves is also not the same as breaking into Liverpool.

Some won't want to hear this, but neither is breaking into the Sheffield United starting 11.

Don't get me wrong, I am on the Jebbison hype train and would be fine if we call him early to try to cap him and I have seen his goal(which was a simple tap in), but he got in for so many minutes because United are basically a championship caliber team. Wolves and Liverpool are clear cut premiership clubs. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

We need to plan for 4 games in less than  2 weeks. We need our best and they need to be ready to go. Hoilett is one of these guys. I expect a fine line where we see our best 11 (to build familiarity and reps) but everyone also needs ample rest. The Aruba game should be preparation for Suriname but Herdman should be subbing off as many potential game 2 starters during the Aruba match.

I honestly think we should call 28-30 players. This isn't a tournament. You don't have to use the same 23 players from match to match.

Players will get knocks. Better to have replacements readily available and training together.

My guess is they will call about 24 players and rely on the 3 MLS clubs for last minute reinforcements though.

Edited by narduch

• Admin locked this topic