The Road to Qatar.

Binky

CP article I just read says it's on in Victoria June 29-July 4. First training camp in Tampa from June 16-24. 5 players coming from European clubs. 

Nothing about quarantine and nothing about why Boucher & SGA weren't selected.

But hopeful news for a CPL bubble.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/article-canada-unveils-mens-basketball-roster-ahead-of-olympic-qualifying/

7 minutes ago, red card said:

CP article I just read says it's on in Victoria June 29-July 4. First training camp in Tampa from June 16-24. 5 players coming from European clubs. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/article-canada-unveils-mens-basketball-roster-ahead-of-olympic-qualifying/

SGA, Boucher and Murray are all injured.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

@El Hombre to translate my previous question into a statement:

Armas pulled Osorio because he likely wasn't fit enough to play the 90 minutes, which doesn't sound good if we are talking about him playing for Canada next week.

Or to play devil's advocate, Armas just pulled Osorio because he wasn't having an impact, which would be less concerning, but still not a great sign.

Osorio was pulled because he re-injured himself. It should be said that he probably would have been subbed off anyway as is common when players play their first game in a while after an injury layoff

27 minutes ago, red card said:

strong team 

yah seems like its just mostly business as usual here. Thats a good sign

2 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

Osorio was pulled because he re-injured himself. It should be said that he probably would have been subbed off anyway as is common when players play their first game in a while after an injury layoff

Right. Either way, we're not getting a Jonathan Osorio in optimal condition, if he's summoned. 

As far as I know, there's no limit to the number of players we can carry in our camp, so perhaps we can add him to the roster for the two Haiti matches, should he recover. 

My initial reaction though was that we shouldn't call players who are not healthy and ready to play 90 minutes. Davies and David are probably the only two players I would make an exception for. Maybe Larin too, but that's it.

2 hours ago, DavemTFC said:

Actually, what is more common would be him coming in at at the 60th or 70th minute.  Rarely do players start when coming back from injury.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As much as I love our rising generation, I think Junior needs to been in the squad.  I feel like he is one of the most professional players we have access to and, for me, that means, he can be the one that draws a penalty or a foul that helps us see out a game.  

Yeah but most likely you know and I know if we do bring him in, he's coming off the bench 

19 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As much as I love our rising generation, I think Junior needs to been in the squad.  I feel like he is one of the most professional players we have access to and, for me, that means, he can be the one that draws a penalty or a foul that helps us see out a game.  

It's pretty insane that we think he's replaceable imo. I get we're all excited for Corbeanu, but he's played all of 10 minutes professionally. I'm personally not even sold on Millar as a Championship player, looking at what Charlton fans had to say. I think Hoilett is great to have coming off the bench.

1 minute ago, PiedPilko said:

It's pretty insane that we think he's replaceable imo. I get we're all excited for Corbeanu, but he's played all of 10 minutes professionally. I'm personally not even sold on Millar as a Championship player, looking at what Charlton fans had to say. I think Hoilett is great to have coming off the bench.

Change "we" to "some".. I'm with you! 

Just last cycle Hoilett was our god send/savior just before WCQ.. he's one of if not the best Canadian to ever play in the EPL. Only 31 this year and coming off a year where he didn't fit in Cardiff's system.. before that he was a key player. 

Now people want him dropped for Millar or Corbeanu? That's crazy talk. Maybe those two will develop to be EPL/Championship regulars but for now they're well behind Hoilett. 

46 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Change "we" to "some".. I'm with you! 

Just last cycle Hoilett was our god send/savior just before WCQ.. he's one of if not the best Canadian to ever play in the EPL. Only 31 this year and coming off a year where he didn't fit in Cardiff's system.. before that he was a key player. 

Now people want him dropped for Millar or Corbeanu? That's crazy talk. Maybe those two will develop to be EPL/Championship regulars but for now they're well behind Hoilett. 

Yeah because both Millar and Corbeanu have been emerging within our set up 

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

T & T squad with 2 Canadians (Singh and Telfer).

Wow T&T are not very good

But good for Luke. Like Ive said even though these guys aren't representing Canada, whenever I can it gives me a little rooting interest

Edited by SpursFlu

What is going on with that program? I remember when T&T were a similar caliber to Jamaica, but the difference between their respective rosters is night and day.

Why does T&T struggle with recruitment in a way that Jamaica doesn't?

Hell, even Suriname has a more impressive squad on paper than Trinidad does. I really don't get it.

Edited by Obinna

• Admin locked this topic