Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

13 hours ago, costarg said:

How is Penso still employed? The guy is like those WWE refs, just there causing drama. You’d think MLS is paying him for controversy. 

The impression I got from last night’s match was that he is being employed by Saputo, or at least has been given a year’s supply of cheese. There is a lot of incompetent officiating in MLS but normally you see it go both ways, rather than four controversial calls all going the way of one team. 

In any case, JMR will have to chalk this up as a learning experience- the next time a coach runs out his technical area to demand you give him the ball, make sure you are only on a yellow, and that your team is winning at the time (since apparently it is the losing teams who are the ones trying to time waste)

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The impression I got from last night’s match was that he is being employed by Saputo, or at least has been given a year’s supply of cheese. There is a lot of incompetent officiating in MLS but normally you see it go both ways, rather than four controversial calls all going the way of one team. 

In any case, JMR will have to chalk this up as a learning experience- the next time a coach runs out his technical area to demand you give him the ball, make sure you are only on a yellow, and that your team is winning at the time (since apparently it is the losing teams who are the ones trying to time waste)

The offence is delaying the restart, and falls under the umbrella of unsporting behaviour. You don't have to be in the lead to be guilty of it. I've only watched the highlights, but it looks like JMR threw the ball away from not just the Montreal coach, but also the player who was looking to take the throw. Regarding the second Montreal goal, it was pretty clear from the highlights that the goal scorer was onside when his teammate flicked the ball through. The touch off the defender's chest is immaterial on the play.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

The offence is delaying the restart, and falls under the umbrella of unsporting behaviour. You don't have to be in the lead to be guilty of it. I've only watched the highlights, but it looks like JMR threw the ball away from not just the Montreal coach, but also the player who was looking to take the throw. Regarding the second Montreal goal, it was pretty clear from the highlights that the goal scorer was onside when his teammate flicked the ball through. The touch off the defender's chest is immaterial on the play.

Everybody and their aunt does the "alley-oop" toss of the ball back to an opponent in this league without any punishment from a Ref, the reason why JMR's toss doesn't make it to the player in question is because his aim is off due to his attempt to avoid the Montreal coach who goes charging at him like a maniac (running past his own player in the process - wtf?) so JMR is actually alley-ooping the coach first while trying to avoid him. It's a bizarre circumstance, but I'm not aware that there is anything in the laws of the game which stipulates a player is obligated to hand the ball to an opposition coach during the match (unless it was the coach that was going to take the throw-in). I'm well aware that technically speaking the Ref was within his rights to issue a second yellow, but one would think that most would have common sense to not do so in a situation where the action is instigated by a coach who is acting improperly in the first place and where it results in a sending off. And if Penso wants to do things by the very letter of the law then he needs to be consistent with that, which means that he also needed to send off the Montreal defender for the last-man back foul early in the 1st half as well as hand Herrera a 2nd yellow for the late hit out of bounds which sent Kobe Franklin over the advertising boards (assuming that wasn't a straight red for endangering the safety of an opponent). Montreal's coach took Herrera off himself right after that as he realized that he was extremely fortunate to still be on the field.

36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Everybody and their aunt does the "alley-oop" toss of the ball back to an opponent in this league without any punishment from a Ref, the reason why JMR's toss doesn't make it to the player in question is because his aim is off due to his attempt to avoid the Montreal coach who goes charging at him like a maniac (running past his own player in the process - wtf?) so JMR is actually alley-ooping the coach first while trying to avoid him. It's a bizarre circumstance, but I'm not aware that there is anything in the laws of the game which stipulates a player is obligated to hand the ball to an opposition coach during the match (unless it was the coach that was going to take the throw-in). I'm well aware that technically speaking the Ref was within his rights to issue a second yellow, but one would think that most would have common sense to not do so in a situation where the action is instigated by a coach who is acting improperly in the first place and where it results in a sending off. And if Penso wants to do things by the very letter of the law then he needs to be consistent with that, which means that he also needed to send off the Montreal defender for the last-man back foul early in the 1st half as well as hand Herrera a 2nd yellow for the late hit out of bounds which sent Kobe Franklin over the advertising boards (assuming that wasn't a straight red for endangering the safety of an opponent). Montreal's coach took Herrera off himself right after that as he realized that he was extremely fortunate to still be on the field.

It's mostly about not taking responsibility for what you and your team are doing on the field, don't you think? So all this stuff gets amplified. A team with premium Italian national team players and MBradley who's been everyone's darling for ages, and Bob on the bench, should be getting favourable or at least deferential reffing. If you're not, then all that is on the team too.

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Penso reffed a bad game, he regularly does.  I always role my eyes when I see him at the whistle, you just know its gonna be a shitty game with focus on him.  He has no favourites, he's just a very poor and arrogant ref.  CFM has also been on the receiving end of his incompetence on several occasions.  However, please don't insinuate TFC lost cause of Penso on Saturday, that's dishonest, we all know there was no way TFC was winning anything on Saturday even though CFM was pretty poor as well on the night.  TFC players and managements heads are not in the right place at the moment.

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

Penso reffed a bad game, he regularly does.  I always role my eyes when I see him at the whistle, you just know its gonna be a shitty game with focus on him.  He has no favourites, he's just a very poor and arrogant ref.  CFM has also been on the receiving end of his incompetence on several occasions.  However, please don't insinuate TFC lost cause of Penso on Saturday, that's dishonest, we all know there was no way TFC was winning anything on Saturday even though CFM was pretty poor as well on the night.  TFC players and managements heads are not in the right place at the moment.

I don’t think TFC lost because of Penso and I don’t really see where I even suggest that or even hint at it. The team is so bad at the moment with all their missing players that they can’t even string 3 passes together, and even if Penso had made all the correct decisions, they still wouldn’t have won. The point in explaining what a dickhead Penso was on Saturday in this thread is that in my view JMR was extremely hard done by his officiating with some wildly inconsistent decisions for getting sent off and when to go by the letter of the law

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don’t think TFC lost because of Penso and I don’t really see where I even suggest that or even hint at it. The team is so bad at the moment with all their missing players that they can’t even string 3 passes together, and even if Penso had made all the correct decisions, they still wouldn’t have won. The point in explaining what a dickhead Penso was on Saturday in this thread is that in my view JMR was extremely hard done by his officiating with some wildly inconsistent decisions for getting sent off and when to go by the letter of the law

No worries, misunderstanding then.  It was just the bribe insinuation "The impression I got from last night’s match was that he is being employed by Saputo, or at least has been given a year’s supply of cheese."

Totally agree about JMR, feel bad for him, he didn't deserve that.  Especially when we consider his overall situation and relationship with BB.

Edited by costarg

1 hour ago, costarg said:

No worries, misunderstanding then.  It was just the bribe insinuation "The impression I got from last night’s match was that he is being employed by Saputo, or at least has been given a year’s supply of cheese."

Totally agree about JMR, feel bad for him, he didn't deserve that.  Especially when we consider his overall situation and relationship with BB.

Ah, that’s what you meant - I was just joking about that. I don’t actually think he was bribed, and especially not with cheese.  😎

On 5/15/2023 at 10:58 AM, costarg said:

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ah, that’s what you meant - I was just joking about that. I don’t actually think he was bribed, and especially not with cheese.  😎

This reminds me of a story I heard once...

Back in the day when my uncle was living in Greece, he had a very good friend who was a part time referee for lower division matches. And as things were back then, team owners would attempt to discreetly give him "gifts".  Being the classy guy that he was, my uncle's friend would always respectfully decline or promptly return them.  

The craziest gift? A big metal bucket of fresh feta straight from the farm.

True story (according to my uncle). 😄 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Reading the Athletic article on TFC's woes this season and Manning comes off so bad.

Him comparing JMR to Davies and putting an entire nations worth of pressure on the kid makes more sense now when you realize Manning is a clueless dummy.

I didn’t see that part in the article 

Edited by Dominic94

On 5/16/2023 at 5:20 PM, Metro said:

This reminds me of a story I heard once...

Back in the day when my uncle was living in Greece, he had a very good friend who was a part time referee for lower division matches. And as things were back then, team owners would attempt to discreetly give him "gifts".  Being the classy guy that he was, my uncle's friend would always respectfully decline or promptly return them.  

The craziest gift? A big metal bucket of fresh feta straight from the farm.

True story (according to my uncle). 😄 

Having been in Spain for a few decades, that story is not even strange. It was not unusual at all for things to be "left" in the refs changing room in lower league, especially when they are reffing without linesmen (very lowest tiers, non-elite youth). As the team delegate or even home coach (I did this coaching my kid some 10-12 years ago) gives the ref the key to his room, makes sure he's comfortable, then after signing the refs match report pays him (formerly in cash, cash in hand), you can imagine the set up. 

The ref being alone it was all the easier, and those guys had to call offsides from the middle of the field.

A good one here was a Iberian cured ham, though you could also get dumb regional trinkets, gift cards "because that restaurant sponsors the club", and so on. You could imagine, down in Valencia where orange growing is often relatively small family groves, it was nothing to leave a bag in mid-winter.

Pushing into higher divisions when referee teams travelled and overnighted before reffing games, I am sure most here could guess what kind of "offers" those guys got from their home-team hosts when settling into their hotels.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Playing more of a #8 tonight beside Kosi with Kaye at the #6.

Had a great cross into Kosi, which Kosi should have buried. Had a good rip at goal (prob should have first timed it instead of taking a touch but wasn’t easy)

Had a great interception that almost led to an Insigne goal. 

Looks more comfortable in the centre of the park than at FB(no) or on the wings. Just want to see more penetrating passes from him. 

1 minute ago, costarg said:

We've been saying this for well over a year.  You need to get the tapes and message through to daddy Bradley.

Two games in a row where he started in the middle of the park, so hopefully this is trend. Hard to tell with BB though. 

If the team actually gets healthy he may find it difficult to get minutes tho. He is basically in Osorio’s spot.