Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He really hasn’t don’t much to catch the eye.  He may be a competent MLS player but they may want him to play in an environment where he can flourish a bit.  Maybe a bit of time with the second team will help him find his mojo…? 

Yeah, but no one at the club has done much to catch anyone’s eye, and the other young players on Toronto weren’t sent down. But maybe it’s reps, or maybe it’s sending a message? I dunno, I know he hasn’t been amazing, but at this point he at least looks like a bonafide MLS player. 

1 minute ago, RS said:

I haven't seen any of the game, but judging from the lineup graphic it looks like JMR was playing as a full back for TFC 2.

He also assisted on TFC 2's only goal, starting the play from wide left, then driving down the middle before passing to goalscorer Faria.

At this point I think everyone involved, the team, the player and his representatives, need to accept that he is exactly what he appears to be- a competent young player who is able to play at MLS level and shows clear potential but who has not excelled.  He is not the young phenom that people were talking about two years ago.

39 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

At this point I think everyone involved, the team, the player and his representatives, need to accept that he is exactly what he appears to be- a competent young player who is able to play at MLS level and shows clear potential but who has not excelled.  He is not the young phenom that people were talking about two years ago.

Can't judge a fish by his ability to climb a tree.

I don't think that is fair to JMR.  We can't expect him to develop without a development plan.  All of us know he isn't a FB, yet that's where most of his minutes have been.  We've seen Davies play poorly out of position, and he gets minutes every week.  How can we hold JMR accountable for his performances when he isn't getting regular minutes and if he does, they're literally all over the place.

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

I don't think that is fair to JMR.  We can't expect him to develop without a development plan.  All of us know he isn't a FB, yet that's where most of his minutes have been.  We've seen Davies play poorly out of position, and he gets minutes every week.  How can we hold JMR accountable for his performances when he isn't getting regular minutes and if he does, they're literally all over the place.

I guess I just haven’t seen anything extraordinary to make me think he will suddenly explode.  He seems to have a good read of the game but he isn’t fast, isn’t tricky, isn’t elite at retaining possession, etc.   Like many others I think he is more built for a midfield role where passing and vision are the most important attributes but I still haven’t seen things that would make he believe he could be elite if he was only played in that part of the field.  

Don’t get me wrong - I think he could be a decent MLS midfielder, and that is a solid accomplishment at the age of 19.  I am just saying that the original hype needs to be completely ignored at this point.  It has not borne out and has no bearing on his actual path forward or transfer valuation.  

He needs to do a better job on the defensive side of the ball, regardless of that’s at LW, CM or FB. (He isn’t a FB tho, thought that was obvious). 

Needs to get stuck in more when defending. And shield the ball better when he has it. 

He has also missed some good chances on goal this year. It’s frustrating, a little more quality at the end and he could of bagged a few. 

Loan away would do him some good. And don’t sign a contract extension. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I was in this camp, but as time moves on, starting to shift my outlook on JMR.  I still put a whole lot of blame on TFC, but JMR was never a “fish”… he was being touted as the next big Canada export (after Davies).

Interesting comparison you made with Davies btw… he was played “out of position” for one of the world’s top clubs, and soon became one of the world’s best at that position. 

I just think at this point we can cool all the hype and expectations and hope he becomes a CMNT regular one day, and not the star we had hoped. 

38 minutes ago, Ivan said:

In fairness to JMR, he looks no worse and probably better than all of Sapong, the 2 new signings so far, Coello, Petretta, Semania, Thompson, Bradley, and as much as I hate to say it, Osorio.

That’s why without speculating, it has to be sending a message or something. He didn’t even make TFC’s lineup last night (I seem to recall JRR/Farsi doing double duties for Crew/Crew II last year). Like he doesn’t look like a player who is going to Liverpool next season, but he can play and he’s very much not a next pro player. It’s weird. Of all Toronto’s terrible players, he’s the one who gets the short end of the stick. 

22 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I was in this camp, but as time moves on, starting to shift my outlook on JMR.  I still put a whole lot of blame on TFC, but JMR was never a “fish”… he was being touted as the next big Canada export (after Davies).

Interesting comparison you made with Davies btw… he was played “out of position” for one of the world’s top clubs, and soon became one of the world’s best at that position. 

I just think at this point we can cool all the hype and expectations and hope he becomes a CMNT regular one day, and not the star we had hoped. 

My point about Davies being out of position was when Herdman had him playing that libero attacking middle of the field role, not talking about Bayern putting him at LB.  Davies is a LB, the best LB in the world, Bayern knows what they are doing.  TFC on the other hand........

JMR is also not responsible for the label that was put on him.  That was also on TFC and no one else.

Edited by costarg

11 hours ago, Ivan said:

In fairness to JMR, he looks no worse and probably better than all of Sapong, the 2 new signings so far, Coello, Petretta, Semania, Thompson, Bradley, and as much as I hate to say it, Osorio.

I wouldn't call that a ringing endorsement.   A season like this and year like this for TFC means that is an opportunity for someone JMR to stand out and show us his potential.   One benefit of a crap season like this where everyone is performing poorly is that there is no pressure on a kid like JMR..    It should be easier to stand out, show your stuff and make name for yourself on a club like this and during a season like this than it would be on championship contending team where you have to beat out an established player for playing time.

Edited by Free kick

I was just reading an  interview that Jason Hernandez done with John Molinaro. He said that he would like to emulate LAFC's strategy of selling players every year, so that the club can get more GAM to spend each year.  With that in mind, I can see TFC selling off any one of JMR/Kobe Franklin this offseason to the highest bidder.  

3 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

I was just reading an  interview that Jason Hernandez done with John Molinaro. He said that he would like to emulate LAFC's strategy of selling players every year, so that the club can get more GAM to spend each year.  With that in mind, I can see TFC selling off any one of JMR/Kobe Franklin this offseason to the highest bidder.  

Problem there is that you have something of value to sell.   I don't see how JMR could have boosted his value this year.  

Edited by Free kick

No one talks about this enough but I have seen hints of flair, creativity and speed. 

he’s also very raw which people ignore..

finally how do you show anything in terms of skill when you’re being restricted and every mistake gets you taken out of the lineup and even after good games you’re sent down.

there just isn’t anyone backing him 

24 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

No one talks about this enough but I have seen hints of flair, creativity and speed. 

he’s also very raw which people ignore..

finally how do you show anything in terms of skill when you’re being restricted and every mistake gets you taken out of the lineup and even after good games you’re sent down.

there just isn’t anyone backing him 

I saw hints of good touches.  That's what had me believing a bit.    A smoothness and silkiness to his play.  Thats what caught my attention last year.   But i have not seen him build on taht.  Usually if you are truly a special player as a teenager (as we were led to believe), you would have seen a big leap from year one.   

PS.:  your observation about creativity and speed is odd.  Creativity can be subjective, ok but Speed?  i have not see anything of the sort and i never thought that would be his calling card anyways.  I also have not seen creativity.

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

I saw hints of good touches.  That's what had me believing a bit.    A smoothness and silkiness to his play.  Thats what caught my attention last year.   But i have need not building on that.  Usually if you are truly a special player (as we were led to believe)

It's the same thing we saw with Nelson.