Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

Not only did they start him so soon after his suspension, but they even started playing him in his best position too, damn. I thought he was gonna get relegated to being like the backup keeper or something after the suspension. Nice to see him string together a couple good games. He’s turning 19 in two weeks, not a bad way to end his 18th year

Where does JMR fit in our depth chart at CM 

1. Staq 
2. Kone 
3. Oso - injured
4. Hutch - he 100% gets called up to whatever he wants for nations/gold cup and then retires
5. Morris
6. Choineire
7. Kaye
8.JMR 
9. Piette - Injured or else could be higher.

Its conceivable that JMR leaps into 3rd/4th (depending on if you count OSO injury and morris committing). 

12 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

If the team actually gets healthy he may find it difficult to get minutes tho. He is basically in Osorio’s spot. 

Hopefully he isn’t on the team at the end of the Summer window, although unlikely but if I was TFC and I hear a 4mil+ offer I’m accepting it and letting the kid go to (hopefully) a better place to develop.

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Where does JMR fit in our depth chart at CM 

1. Staq 
2. Kone 
3. Oso - injured
4. Hutch - he 100% gets called up to whatever he wants for nations/gold cup and then retires
5. Morris
6. Choineire
7. Kaye
8.JMR 
9. Piette - Injured or else could be higher.

Its conceivable that JMR leaps into 3rd/4th (depending on if you count OSO injury and morris committing). 

I think it's very possible he's #4 by the end of the year. I think Herdman probably rates Atiba, Kaye, and Choiniere above him presently, but he's going to eventually surpass Kaye even at TFC, Atiba is going to retire any minute now and Choiniere is a different player than Piette, but I think he's going to have a similar career- high floor, low ceiling, good to have at your disposal, but clear limitations to how good he can be especially against really top opponents.

I'm also just not considering Morris for now until it looks like he's going to play for us.

Edited by InglewoodJack

I caught the TSN's pregame show on Saturday and Kevin Kilbane had an interesting tidbit on JMR.  He said that the person who decided JMR should play at RB BECAUSE there is a team out there only interested in purchasing him as a RB player is a joke and the team should really look into the decision-making there.

I might be asleep at the wheel (I usually am), but I've never heard of such a direct accusation.  If true, I wonder who would have made that decision.  I am guessing it's NOT the guy the fans are incessantly booing game in, game out.

Edited by Metro

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Which team would look at JMR and be like yeah he’s good but we’d be more interested in paying for him if he played in a position where he was less good. 

I dont agree with him at RB but I can see the logic. He lacks speed so becoming an elite winger will be difficult. Moving to fullback is a natural progression for alot of younger wingers. (adekugbe, davies, buchanan/millar (sort of) were all wingers and now have developed into fullbacks/wingbacks).

I would also argue that its easier to get into a european side as a fullback compared to a winger. A canadian international winger would have to put up very good consistent performances or be a top level player like buchanan in order for a euro side to want to take them on. A canadian could be solid at fullback but not have to be exceptional with production to get the same looks. This isnt a hard rule but I think there is some merit to the thought. 

55 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I dont agree with him at RB but I can see the logic. He lacks speed so becoming an elite winger will be difficult. Moving to fullback is a natural progression for alot of younger wingers. (adekugbe, davies, buchanan/millar (sort of) were all wingers and now have developed into fullbacks/wingbacks).

I would also argue that its easier to get into a european side as a fullback compared to a winger. A canadian international winger would have to put up very good consistent performances or be a top level player like buchanan in order for a euro side to want to take them on. A canadian could be solid at fullback but not have to be exceptional with production to get the same looks. This isnt a hard rule but I think there is some merit to the thought. 

His skillset as many have mentioned, is better suited as a mid vs FB or winger though.

50 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

His skillset as many have mentioned, is better suited as a mid vs FB or winger though.

For sure. But most wingers would transition quicker into a fullback role. You can also make the claim that he may be more marketable as a fullback compared to central midfielder. I would say competition at fullback is a bit easier and therefore higher likelihood of a sale. 

I 100% want him as a midfielder but I can see what logic was used during his fullback transition (even if its flawed logic)

On 6/1/2023 at 11:25 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Not only did they start him so soon after his suspension, but they even started playing him in his best position too, damn. I thought he was gonna get relegated to being like the backup keeper or something after the suspension. Nice to see him string together a couple good games. He’s turning 19 in two weeks, not a bad way to end his 18th year

Sorry for the pedantry, but if his 19th birthday is in 2 weeks, he's finishing up his 19th year, not his 18th. He'll be entering his 20th year following his birthday.

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

For sure. But most wingers would transition quicker into a fullback role. You can also make the claim that he may be more marketable as a fullback compared to central midfielder. I would say competition at fullback is a bit easier and therefore higher likelihood of a sale. 

I 100% want him as a midfielder but I can see what logic was used during his fullback transition (even if its flawed logic)

So you're saying it was TFC's marketing team that was responsible for the switch to FB?  Makes sense, cause no one with an ounce of soccer knowledge would be playing him at FB.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:15 PM, costarg said:

So you're saying it was TFC's marketing team that was responsible for the switch to FB?  Makes sense, cause no one with an ounce of soccer knowledge would be playing him at FB.

Thats a jump from what I was saying. Marketable in the sense of shopping him around europe for a new club. Not marketable as in sponsorship opportunities. The marketing team would have nothing to do with the logic I assumed TFC was using. 

A coach could look at a player and say that in order to give this player the best chance of getting to europe, i better develop him at fullback. He wont make it in europe otherwise. Yes, a coaches job is to win but most coaches also want to develop players and care about them. On the other hand, you could say he isnt ready to play CM or winger but theres a spot at FB. Better to get him minutes out of position than none at all. 

Again, not the logic I would use but I could appreciate this type of explanation. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Was Bob Bradley going to drop his son or Osorio to play an 18 year old in centre mid last season?

Why not?  What the hell did TFC have to play for last season? 

If Sir Alex Freakin Fergusson can find opportunities to play the kids, it's stupid for people to still defend TFC, Vanney and Bradley for not doing it.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Why not?  What the hell did TFC have to play for last season? 

If Sir Alex Freakin Fergusson can find opportunities to play the kids, it's stupid for people to still defend TFC, Vanney and Bradley for not doing it.

Bald Fraud played both his kids almost every minute isn't that enough?

35 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Do JMR and Nathan Saliba have the same potential or is one of them clearly better than the other?

I have no idea what happens in the future, but personally Saliba flashes way more ability for me than JMR who has never really looked more than mediocre to me.