Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The hype with him was from being declared top 100 youngsters  in the world a few years back. He was invited to train with big clubs like Liverpool. Since then has done a bunch of f-all. Phonzie as a 16 year old was only being left off the starting lineup to manage his minutes. 

JMR has had 48 appearances in MLS but I cant recall any great performance. It mostly feels like a get this young player a bunch of caps to increase his value situation. None of the clubs he trained with followed up, TFC is beyond terrible and he only subs in.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Apparently “smashing physical records” during his physical, per Herdman. Maybe this is the year it finally happens for him.

https://x.com/touchlinetfc/status/1747024271015051636?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

That's great to hear, becauce Herdman isn't afraid of playing young players. This could be the yr for him to break out.

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That's great to hear, becauce Herdman isn't afraid of playing young players. This could be the yr for him to break out.

I'd really like to hear Herdman's in depth take on JMR. Not that there's been a point where he deserved a locked in national team spot, but he's "close enough" that Herdman would've definitely had to evaluate him as an option on a few different occasions and determined he wasn't ready. Now, he has to decide if he's good enough to be a starting MLS player or not. Also curious to see if Herdman's romantic side is enough to give guys like JMR, and to a lesser extent Kerr and Franklin some solid minutes because of what he thinks they may become.

Also, not sure how true the rumours of TFC rejecting some JMR offers because they thought they could get more for him, but with Herdman's talk of how players need to challenge themselves at a higher level, I wonder if after a solid season, Herdman convinces TFC to accept the $1M offer from some Nordic team that I assume will be made (unless he can go to a better level), and put him on the start of his European journey.

Edited by InglewoodJack

31 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Apparently “smashing physical records” during his physical, per Herdman. Maybe this is the year it finally happens for him.

https://x.com/touchlinetfc/status/1747024271015051636?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Interesting.

You usually hear this about one of the fat players. I had Ayo pegged for this kind of statement. 

14 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Crazy he will be 20 this year, COVID didn’t help but man have they mishandled him, so much promise gone.

I don’t disagree but I also think he has been a victim of over-hype and the variability and timing of young prospects hitting their full potential.   Don’t get me wrong - I think he is built for a sort of CM/CAM role (which also happens to be where we would need him most) and that he was used to fill a need vs where his skillset was oriented.  But at the end of the day he has had many opportunities to elevate his game and make a claim that he is the wonderkid they talked about.  Maybe this will be his year - and I genuinely hope it is - but so far he has to accept some responsibility for the fact that he has failed to shine in a team where any sort of excellence would have likely stood out.  

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t disagree but I also think he has been a victim of over-hype and the variability and timing of young prospects hitting their full potential.   Don’t get me wrong - I think he is built for a sort of CM/CAM role (which also happens to be where we would need him most) and that he was used to fill a need vs where his skillset was oriented.  But at the end of the day he has had many opportunities to elevate his game and make a claim that he is the wonderkid they talked about.  Maybe this will be his year - and I genuinely hope it is - but so far he has to accept some responsibility for the fact that he has failed to shine in a team where any sort of excellence would have likely stood out.  

I totally trust Herdman on this one.  This is where he will excel.  I'm sure he'll get the best out of JMR.  

With all of this said, JMR is still 4 months younger than Nathan Saliba. 10 months younger than Rida Zouhir. A year and a half younger than Justin Smith. He already has 56 caps for TFC. We’ve heard so much about him over the last 4 or so years, but he’s still extremely young and won’t turn 20 until this summer. At his age, Tajon Buchanan had what, two more years of college left?

He’s going to be fine. This year is a big one for him But if Herdman gives him an honest shot, I think we see him take a big leap.

27 minutes ago, costarg said:

I totally trust Herdman on this one.  This is where he will excel.  I'm sure he'll get the best out of JMR.  

I hope you are right.  It does seem like a potentially good marriage of JMR's potential and John's power to motivate him to achieve it.  Fingers crossed.

27 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

With all of this said, JMR is still 4 months younger than Nathan Saliba. 10 months younger than Rida Zouhir. A year and a half younger than Justin Smith. He already has 56 caps for TFC. We’ve heard so much about him over the last 4 or so years, but he’s still extremely young and won’t turn 20 until this summer. At his age, Tajon Buchanan had what, two more years of college left?

He’s going to be fine. This year is a big one for him But if Herdman gives him an honest shot, I think we see him take a big leap.

Fully agree with the idea that he has plenty of time to mature into an excellent footballer.  I think the perception of his progress has really been slanted by the albatross of TFC projecting him as some Davies-class talent.  That may be overstating it, but I think their hype machine was happy to amp up expectations rather than let him develop without that pressure.    

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fully agree with the idea that he has plenty of time to mature into an excellent footballer.  I think the perception of his progress has really been slanted by the albatross of TFC projecting him as some Davies-class talent.  That may be overstating it, but I think their hype machine was happy to amp up expectations rather than let him develop without that pressure.    

Absolutely. I think this is partially on TFC, but also just the reality of a lot of teenage stars, we just don’t have many of them. It seems like every other week there’s an American kid getting linked to Barcelona or whatever; JMR was the same, we just don’t have many players linked with super clubs, so we focused a lot on him. For me, I think I’m less concerned about him having never been to Liverpool, it’s more the rumours of the Belgian clubs that TFC rejected because they reportedly valued him at €20M or something that I hope aren’t true. He could’ve gotten buried at Liverpool, but if he went to Anderlecht at 18 which I believe was the rumour, that could’ve been a really strong move. I think the only difference is he may follow more of a Jayden Nelson path at this point which is still very good. 

51 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Good points and comparisons.  Issue is, two of the guys you name already have a few very impressive wow highlight reel youtube clips.  Like Justin Smith, not so much the case for JMR, but for anyone watching it's obvious there is a lot of maturity and very high soccer IQ in their overall games for such a young age.

As for Tajon, he's just a freakshow, and I say that in a most positive way.

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

Good points and comparisons.  Issue is, two of the guys you name already have a few very impressive wow highlight reel youtube clips.  Like Justin Smith, not so much the case for JMR, but for anyone watching it's obvious there is a lot of maturity and very high soccer IQ in their overall games for such a young age.

As for Tajon, he's just a freakshow, and I say that in a most positive way.

With Saliba, he was gifted (and showed he deserved) a starting roster spot, even pushing Montreal's only DP to the bench- JMR has never been given that opportunity, and even when Saliba played poorly, he didn't have to worry about getting benched, so naturally I think he's had a lot more chances to build up that highlight reel. For Zouhir, he looked amazing in USL, but that is just the USL- he wasn't spectacular in his MLS minutes, but again, young and limited opportunities. For Smith, I haven't really seem any wow moments from him other than I think a few preseason goals. He does look very solid and has played every minute this season until his injury, so no knock on him, but he's also playing third division in France which is a lot lowetr than MLS.

Agreed for Tajon- he wasn't supposed to be this good and NCAA players shouldn't be able to find their way to Inter Milan. If JMR can grow his game remotely close to how Tajon has though, in 2-3 years, we won't even remember the 4 or so seasons where we were waiting for JMR to show out though.

I'll admit that JMR's notable moments come few and far between, but I do think he's made a few MLS team of the weak, and just being able to hang in a pro league as a teenager is notable by itself. In any case, none of this will matter if he doesn't take that leap, but I think playing under Herdman is probably the best environment to see him make a big stride.

• 4 weeks later...

JMR is listed as Matt Doyle's TFC breakout player for this year.

"Five years ago, I had smart folks in the academy system telling me Marshall-Rutty was hands-down the best Canadian prospect and he was damn near at Gio Reyna’s level. Fast forward to today and all he is as a pro is a toolsy kid who doesn’t really have a position"

Hopefully John Herdman gives him lots of playing time this year and gives him room to learn from his mistakes.

4 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

JMR is listed as Matt Doyle's TFC breakout player for this year.

"Five years ago, I had smart folks in the academy system telling me Marshall-Rutty was hands-down the best Canadian prospect and he was damn near at Gio Reyna’s level. Fast forward to today and all he is as a pro is a toolsy kid who doesn’t really have a position"

Hopefully John Herdman gives him lots of playing time this year and gives him room to learn from his mistakes.

Having him elevate his game to be even close to justifying the hype would be a big boost to our player.  He is the one piece that I am really going to be keeping an eye out for on TFC this season.  Fingers crossed he can deliver a great season.