Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

Apparently MLS is still drinking Toronto FC's ownership Kool-Aid.

Every MLS team's breakout player candidate in 2023 | MLSSoccer.com

TOR_Jahkeele_Marshall_Rutty_HEA
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty
Defender/Forward · Toronto FC

Why he’ll break out:

• A youth attacker who’s spent years now learning how to play at fullback.
  • Simply too talented not to.

Marshall-Rutty was considered the very best prospect in Toronto’s very impressive youth development pipeline, but lost most of 2022 to injury and looked lost at fullback when he did manage to get on the field.

He’s a year older and wiser, and while he’s not in line to start either on the wing or at right back, it certainly seems like he’ll get rotation minutes. And my guess is they’ll be good ones.

What’s his upside this year: Remember a couple of years ago when Bryan Reynolds parlayed 1,000 first-team minutes with FC Dallas into a nearly $10 million move to AS Roma? Something like that is very possible for Marshall-Rutty.

Last year’s breakout player: Jayden Nelson

Had a chance to watch Marshall-Rutty at the TFC vs Whitecaps pre-season game today in Palm Springs. Played full 90 minutes at RB. I know it was their first pre-season game but I'm not sure this is the best position for him. He's fast, good with the ball at this feet. But it feels like he's wasted at this position and should be playing higher up the field. Hope I'm wrong!

8 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Had a chance to watch Marshall-Rutty at the TFC vs Whitecaps pre-season game today in Palm Springs. Played full 90 minutes at RB. I know it was their first pre-season game but I'm not sure this is the best position for him. He's fast, good with the ball at this feet. But it feels like he's wasted at this position and should be playing higher up the field. Hope I'm wrong!

Yup.  Pretty much what we've been saying since last year.  TFC hasn't quite figured that out yet.

JMR has an ability to get around players when going forward - and that usually happens when he plays on the right wing. The fact that Bernadeschi and Insigne are playing on the wings (as obvious first choice players) - doesn't allow JMR to play his role weekly. He would be better off to play weekly with a CPL team so he can develop through more experience.

If he does well, his stock will rise based on real data and not just people pumping the tires. He is wasting away sitting on the bench with TFC. 

11 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Interesting how in camp he was listed as a midfielder on their roster…

2 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

JMR has an ability to get around players when going forward - and that usually happens when he plays on the right wing. The fact that Bernadeschi and Insigne are playing on the wings (as obvious first choice players) - doesn't allow JMR to play his role weekly. He would be better off to play weekly with a CPL team so he can develop through more experience.

If he does well, his stock will rise based on real data and not just people pumping the tires. He is wasting away sitting on the bench with TFC. 

He needs a trade, he’s not a full back.

Nelson was technically moved after the “transfer window closed” because not all transfer windows close on January 31st.  The big European leagues close at the end of January but there are at least 15 European transfer windows still open as of today including “stepping stone” leagues such as Norway, Turkey, Ukraine, Switzerland, Poland etc. but most are closing in the next couple of weeks.

That is probably why it was said “likely”.  My bigger concern is the way BB phrased it.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Reading way too much into that, but weird that he says he'll "likely" be with TFC at the start of the season. If the window is closed, how is he not a lock to be on the team on opening day? MLS teams calling?

I think BB is answering using words from the question posed by Steve Buffery.  The question was "whether at this point do you think he will be on the roster".  BB answered by saying "at this moment, the expectation is that he will be on the roster"

8 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

I think BB is answering using words from the question posed by Steve Buffery.  The question was "whether at this point do you think he will be on the roster".  BB answered by saying "at this moment, the expectation is that he will be on the roster"

Oh, yeah, in that case that makes sense. I did forget that some of the smaller European leagues have their transfer windows close later too, but it’s looking like he’s gonna play the year at Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care how highly touted JMR is by TFC, he's not going to be ahead of Laryea on the right and Petretta looked really impressive on the left, which was a pleasent surprise. Maybe the Insigne injury opens a spot on the wing (which would have been perfect for Nelson last night) but Akinola saw the field ahead of Rutty, which I don't actually think was a bad call as Ayo is willing to stretch the field and make runs in behind, something I haven't really saw much from JMR.