Jump to content

Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty


shamrock

Recommended Posts

JRR was a top young prospect, he had a few training stints in top clubs as do MANY top young players in the MLS clubs, but I think we're now seeing how overstated the constant rumors of teams making big offers for him were.  His agent is notorious for working the papers with all his clients (Busio, J. Gomez etc.) and I've mentioned this in the past.

I don't doubt there was interest from good clubs in Europe for him to come in and join the Academy/2nd team's, but nothing of significant monetary value that would make any MLS team blink.  From what I know as well, the reported "values" that TFC were asking are way off the mark.  If you think about it realistically, what sample size does JRR have to show to the big clubs to earn a big transfer?  Most of the hype was built off national team performances at the U15 level which was also the same year he went to the final of the DA Playoff's.  It's almost the same thing as Habibullah in Vancouver, was named the top player at the Generation Adidas cup a few years ago and had many teams interested but elected to sign with Whitecaps and we know how that has gone.

I can't really fault a kid for taking a 5-6 year MLS contract either, you don't know what will happen in your career and the total guaranteed earnings are good enough to not want to take the risk of going to Europe for small money and not have it work out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bison44 said:

So the call up for CMNT was part of the agents marketing scheme?  Nice of Herdman to play along, he must have owed the agent a favor.  

Herdman is probably watching this shitty Bradley show and decided to throw Akinola and JMR a lifeline to boost their confidence.  Osorio, Kaye and Laryea must've been showing up at CANMNT like depressed junkies last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So the call up for CMNT was part of the agents marketing scheme?  Nice of Herdman to play along, he must have owed the agent a favor.  

In fairness, he was only called up to a camp, has never been selected for a match squad and obviously isn’t anywhere near getting on the field for the senior team.  Given the hype train, it isn’t unreasonable to think that Herdman wanted to bring him in just to get an extended look at him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its bad business.  If BB came in and didnt think much of JMR and he wasnt in the future plans for whatever reason, why wouldnt you recoup some of his value by moving him out?  Havnt we heard that they turned down foreign transfers and trade offers within MLS.  If he cant be trusted as a depth piece on a team that has no depth, you are exposing your own bluff to other teams eh?  A prospect has a shelf life....eventually that banana in the bowl turns black, no one wants it and you are forced to make shitty banana muffins out of it.  

 

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

JRR was a top young prospect, he had a few training stints in top clubs as do MANY top young players in the MLS clubs, but I think we're now seeing how overstated the constant rumors of teams making big offers for him were.  His agent is notorious for working the papers with all his clients (Busio, J. Gomez etc.) and I've mentioned this in the past.

I don't doubt there was interest from good clubs in Europe for him to come in and join the Academy/2nd team's, but nothing of significant monetary value that would make any MLS team blink.  From what I know as well, the reported "values" that TFC were asking are way off the mark.  If you think about it realistically, what sample size does JRR have to show to the big clubs to earn a big transfer?  Most of the hype was built off national team performances at the U15 level which was also the same year he went to the final of the DA Playoff's.  It's almost the same thing as Habibullah in Vancouver, was named the top player at the Generation Adidas cup a few years ago and had many teams interested but elected to sign with Whitecaps and we know how that has gone.

I can't really fault a kid for taking a 5-6 year MLS contract either, you don't know what will happen in your career and the total guaranteed earnings are good enough to not want to take the risk of going to Europe for small money and not have it work out.

I agree with taking the money and term, I get that part. It’s not terrible advice but for a top prospect try you shot, gamble on yourself.

it’s a shame for KH and JMR how it’s going and working out. The writing was on the wall however and there just wasn’t indication that it would be different. I think it’s more foolish in KH’s case despite Davies as AD really fought and MLS was a lower caliber (Davies a better player of course) but it made him harder to ignore.

I don’t blame the MTL guys for example who are turning down CF, and I think we will see that trend in Vancouver with the new CPL teams. Sadly, it seems like both these 2 will become examples of why you should not choose MLS as an academy player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Herdman is probably watching this shitty Bradley show and decided to throw Akinola and JMR a lifeline to boost their confidence.  Osorio, Kaye and Laryea must've been showing up at CANMNT like depressed junkies last year.

Osorio was having a career year in 2022 (putting up better numbers than MVP candidate Carles Gil, for instance) under Bradley until his concussion issues and just re-signed ahead of this season, Laryea was rejuvenated at TFC after being thrown under the bus by clueless Steve Cooper at Forest, and Kaye would've only been a TFC player for the final two MNT camps but had his best years as a professional under Bradley at LAFC.

I know the narrative is that TFC are a bunch of bumbling idiots, and they've earned a lot of that, but let's keep the criticism factual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I agree with taking the money and term, I get that part. It’s not terrible advice but for a top prospect try you shot, gamble on yourself.

it’s a shame for KH and JMR how it’s going and working out. The writing was on the wall however and there just wasn’t indication that it would be different. I think it’s more foolish in KH’s case despite Davies as AD really fought and MLS was a lower caliber (Davies a better player of course) but it made him harder to ignore.

I don’t blame the MTL guys for example who are turning down CF, and I think we will see that trend in Vancouver with the new CPL teams. Sadly, it seems like both these 2 will become examples of why you should not choose MLS as an academy player. 

Agreed, but you never know.  KH was looking good in his cameo's under Marc Dos Santos, we know the issues with the current coach dating back to academy days but who knows how long he'll be in the job for.  PFC has tried to loan him again with Bustos gone now so maybe he'll get a bigger role there, or he slugs it out in the VWFC 2 team and builds his name back up.  JRR I think will get more minutes as its a long season between MLS, Leagues cup and Canadian Championships.  At what position is the question..

At 19/18 years old respectively, I'm not soo worried for the long-term.  Some of our best guys like Tajon and Alistair didn't even start their pro careers until their early 20's.  Even if both have to leave the MLS and start again at a lower level, I'm confident they can make great careers.

Edited by Footyeh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He’s cut open Baldi twice and almost cut open another earthquakes defender.

 

he’s looked good so far and that’s both ends of the ball, however once again he isn’t a right back. He looks faster by the way. He can handle the wing but could be a CAM.

I agree. I think he’s CAM as he is so good on the ball and smart passing it. I just don’t think he has the pace to play wing or even right back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watching pre game (forgot I was recording this) and they had a decent discussion about him.  Interesting to hear JdG echo some of the concerns regularly expressed here about how TFC does (or does not) do an adequate job developing these guys. 

Edited by dyslexic nam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I agree. I think he’s CAM as he is so good on the ball and smart passing it. I just don’t think he has the pace to play wing or even right back. 

He gets open so well and I won’t lie I think he should have gotten the ball more as he had runs into open space that were wasted.

Pace isn’t the issue for him, he isn’t tall and he isn’t built/strong enough for RB.

He could make a fine winger and play wing now, he will beat players on skills and smarts and that’s fine. I think he doesn’t get to show case his speed and I think he’s got a gear or 2.

i don’t see why he cant play in the middle if Servania and Vazquez can. He brings more than both, and is definitely better technically than Servania. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skipped ahead to real-time.  

He just has a really nice pass to set up an attack and then absolutely hammered a volley with his left foot that got blocked.   

Damn I hope this kid works it all out. Defensive issues aside he looks to have some skills, has a good head for movement, and he does look like he has been working to get faster.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...