Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

True, but the way York 9 suddenly filled their stadium to capacity when a Canadian MLS team was involved is not something that the bean counters and movers and shakers are likely to ignore. What conclusions they draw from that on what to do more closely in future, if anything, remains to be seen.

I think it’s only natural for there to be heightened interest among casuals when a more well known and established club comes to town. The great thing about last night though was that there were probably more eyeballs on CPL clubs than ever before, and what they saw wasn’t a beer-League, it was a pair of competitive hard fought matches. The CPL is better than many casuals think it is, and yesterday many of them will have seen that to be the case. 

4 hours ago, narduch said:

York9 doesn't fill their stadium if that was a regular league game against an MLS reserve team. 

USL should be a pretty clear warning that the CPL should not allow reserve teams in. 

100% agreed! 

And the Impact have been building their brand long before they joined MLS.  They have a long head start, next year the fans THAT ACTUALLY GO TO the games will remember grudge matches from this season, player they did and didnt like and the regular games against CPL opposition will start to mean much more. 

At CPL's early year one stage, games where the opposition is an established and well know high level pro team will draw more favorably for the lesser known first year CPL clubs more often than not, especially in a competition like the Voyageurs Cup.

There won't be any "working more closely" between USA's D1 MLS and Canada's D1 Canadian Premier League and there doesn't need to be, each is and will continue to do their own thing.

The American MLS isn't interested in working with the CPL and could care less about Canada's cup competition, they'd only be interested in putting farm/reserve teams in the CPL which would basically be a death blow for Canada's new league, a reason why CPL wants no MLS reserve or affiliate teams in its league, and rightfully so.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

The American MLS isn't interested in working with the CPL and could care less about Canada's cup competition

On the contrary. MLS loves Canada's cup competition, since that's how it gets some of its most successful entrants into the CCL.

12 hours ago, RS said:

On the contrary. MLS loves Canada's cup competition, since that's how it gets some of its most successful entrants into the CCL.

That doesn't fit the simplistic nationalist narrative that often seems to dominate on here in which MLS is always depicted as an alien intrusion that doesn't do anything positive for the welfare of Canadian soccer even though many tens of millions have been invested by the three MLS franchises into the development of Canadian youth players through their academy systems over the last decade, but is probably very much accurate.

Ticket prices went back to normal. I think any adjustments to Y9's pricing structure will occur next season so they don't upset the current season ticket base. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That doesn't fit the simplistic nationalist narrative that often seems to dominate on here in which MLS is always depicted as an alien intrusion that doesn't do anything positive for the welfare of Canadian soccer even though many tens of millions have been invested by the three MLS franchises into the development of Canadian youth players through their academy systems over the last decade, but is probably very much accurate.

Again, who are these posters that give this narrative...???

🤨

Edited by Macksam

22 hours ago, narduch said:

I love that he doesn't see the irony in attacking fans of the Canadian national team on their own forum. 

We are supposed to just kiss the ass of MLS and USSF for passing us crumbs. 

Remember, this was the guy who was basically licking the rear of TFC from the moment it was announced. He pumped it even when the team was garbage for most of its history. He went overboard when they won some unimportant cup and used it as proof that MLS was doing what is was supposed to. However, it never turned out well for him after that speedball and he's paying for it with some useless trolling.

Anybody who wishes to quote him still, I have the stick ready for use.

Posted (edited)

^^^prime example of an overly simplistic nationalist narrative in which MLS is portrayed as an alien intrusion. Meanwhile York 9 have only been able to draw something close to a capacity crowd when playing against MLS opposition and have often struggled to get into four figures where actual attendance is concerned against CanPL opposition. That strongly suggests that the types of hardcore nationalist rabidly anti-MLS views that routinely get posted on here are in no way representative of how most Canadian soccer fans view things. For clarity, I hope all pro soccer teams in Canada do well and massively succeed whatever league they are playing in, whether that be CanPL, MLS or USL because I am motivated first and foremost by the soccer rather than by some political agenda.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Remember, this was the guy who was basically licking the rear of TFC from the moment it was announced. He pumped it even when the team was garbage for most of its history. He went overboard when they won some unimportant cup and used it as proof that MLS was doing what is was supposed to. However, it never turned out well for him after that speedball and he's paying for it with some useless trolling.

I wonder if he even watches the games (or has a One Soccer sub). Seems totally infatuated with the attendance, which constitute most of his posts. 

Does he even post in the MLS sub forum?

I was a big MLS booster too when TFC joined. But with the league continuing to discriminate against Canadian players I'm losing my passion for that league. 

I still content that of the 3 MLS clubs had done a better job developing Canadian players there would have been less of an impetus for the CPL. So if the the CPL bleeds support for the MLS clubs (however minor it may be) they only have themselves to blame. 

6 hours ago, DoyleG said:

And you were the guy who started a thread entitled "RIP Canadian Soccer" when TFC was announced.

Birds of a feather...

3 hours ago, RS said:

And you were the guy who started a thread entitled "RIP Canadian Soccer" when TFC was announced.

Birds of a feather...

You got me curious about that thread (I wasn't around this forum back then), but I couldn't find it :(

I'm curious to read it because I can see how it would be interpreted as a mixed blessing. Great to have a pro Canadian team, but no doubt people believed (myself included) that it probably meant that we wouldn't get our own pro league (unless the team folded and there was opportunity down the line to try again).

It would be fun to read it in the context we have today.