2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

58 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in the number of people showing up for Forge games this month:

https://offer.fevo.com/celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304?fevoUri=celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304%2F

My understanding from what has appeared on Reddit is that there were $10 tickets for the three Forge home games in July being offered at one point as well.

Wouldnt you be kind 'cheesed off' as a season ticket holder if a club did this?? I know if I bought seasons then they started selling single game tickets for as cheap or cheaper I would never be a season ticket holder again. 

I do think single game prices were generally set too high in most laces around the league - however it is bad practice to offer discounts lower then the season ticket holders.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Wouldnt you be kind 'cheesed off' as a season ticket holder if a club did this??...

Yes, but less cheesed off than I would be knowing that there were complimentary tickets being handed out left, right and centre. Hopefully, this is them moving away from doing that sort of thing and soon even this sort of discount will get phased out well before the season ends. I suspect they won't be able to get many/most SSH to renew if they keep letting people in for less than the price per game on a season ticket.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 7/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Keeping in mind that many leagues are in the off season (and therefore not included), here's where we stand in first division worldwide, per Transfermarkt:

126. Forge

146. Valour

151. HFX Wanderers

213. Pacific

230. FC Edmonton

239. York 9

241. Cavalry

19. Toronto FC

40. Vancouver Whitecaps

65. Montreal Impact

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

Could not agree more. This is a practice that will kill the club. The people who are attracted by these offers are the ones who will only come back for these offers. Meanwhile you destroy your base of real fans who don't need a deal to come out.

Valour prices for our next home game appear to be reduced. I believe single game tickets for the pinnacle club seating used to be around $59, but they are currently $49 (which is still $10 higher than the season ticket holder price) but tickets in 104 & 105 are currently cheaper than season ticket holder prices ( $25/game for season tickets vs $21 on ticketmaster).  I think it was smart to reduce the pinnacle club seats, and I probably would have reduced them even more, but they are charging the same price for 144, (which are the worst seats in the house) as they are for 105, which are quite good seats.  I know we are bringing the atmosphere, but If I bought seasons in 104 or 105, I'd be pissed.

26 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Good points. I'm OK with reducing the Pinnacle Club seats. I liked their pricing scheme for season tickets: $10 extra for those premium seats seems reasonable to me. As does the $39 STH price. But the $59 it went up to for non-STHs was a greedy gouge and that lesson was emphasized by all the empty seats when the other sections were full. Embarrassing.

As for 104 & 105, does $21 include fees? And is it just for the one game? You cannot sell seats for less than your STHs paid. That is just wrong.

Edit: TM currently says that adult tix in 105 for next match (Cavalry) are $31.43 all in. Youth tix are $20.98 all in.

You are right.  Initially it looks like tickets are $20.98 but when you click in, it does show that that is for youth tickets.  That makes more sense.

image.png.c1b5faf4ba1e66c604e35d6d9b19646b.png

As long as CanPL continue to keep salaries in check and don't get silly New York Cosmos like ideas about taking on MLS in pecking order terms (it's only Bob Young and the Forge that worry me a bit over that), I don't think there's much chance of the league folding, but if it does I'm sure the Valour could find their way into the USL and cause no end of confusion among Americans on the spelling of their name.

Meanwhile in Calgary all that is standing between the Cavalry and their first sellout for the game against the Whitecaps is that there are no tickets left costing less than $89.90.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/canadian-championship-rd3-cavalry-fc-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-fc/event/110056CB74571F86

Will be interesting to see how much of a late rush there is on those. Hopefully they adjust those sections downwards next season.

I'm receptive to the argument that offering discounts on ticket prices may upset some season ticket holders, but I'd hope STHs would have the sense to recognize that this whole first season is somewhat of an experiment, and finding a pricing model that works is more important than catering exclusively to their goodwill. Even if this involves lowering prices midseason, and especially in the markets where the STHs aren't significant in number to begin with.

Edited by jonovision

This is what a 6000+ announced crowd looks like in a sunny Halifax just before kickoff:

i5szv6.jpg

and this is what it looks like in the rain in Hamilton:

28hms2d.jpg

2wd6jq9.jpg

later on the people seeking shelter on the concourse seem to have sat in the seats:

wa38f7.jpg

but given those sections probably need to be well over half full to have 6000 actual, it's still safe to assume it's a tickets distributed number.

Purple and white seats are becoming more obvious again in the main stand in Langford:

2eamr93.jpg

so not so clear now that summer weekends are making a difference on the turnout, unfortunately, but maybe some people prefer to stand in the beer garden area on the camera side when the weather is better?

On 7/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, jonovision said:

I'm receptive to the argument that offering discounts on ticket prices may upset some season ticket holders, but I'd hope STHs would have the sense to recognize that this whole first season is somewhat of an experiment, and finding a pricing model that works is more important than catering exclusively to their goodwill. Even if this involves lowering prices midseason, and especially in the markets where the STHs aren't significant in number to begin with.

If they're that worried about it, offer STHs an equivalent discount on repurchasing next season.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

I doubt whether anybody will say they are worried about it. They will just do the math and not buy season tickets next year. And that is how you kill your season ticket base.

Team played the "founder" pitch I wouldn't say hard, but certainly with great enthusiasm.  And fair enough.  I think there's a percentage of people who will knowingly overpay in order to do a little more than their part to make this team a success.  The Pinnacle seating is part of that I think.  But agreed, careful where you go with discounted seating.  Don't make anyone feel like they're being taken for granted.  The organization will live to regret it.

Or worse.  You create a wait and see attitude amongst the interested casuals.  They wait to buy tickets knowing there will be some sort of discounted promo in the future.  They wait and wait and before you know it the seasons come and gone. 

Think Valour has done a decent job of weighing the promos.  Very targeted where actual discounts, modest discounts, have occured.   Otherwise selling to businesses.  At least from the little I've heard. 

In 104 I think for the pair we hold we save $5 per off the match day pricing.  $10.  Enough to pay for parking but not enough to buy a beer.  Of course you have a home for the season, which is nice,  already familiar with the other regulars in and around our seats and the usual suspects living in other sections know where to find us, so that maked the event more enjoyable.  And as a STH you get a decent discount off merch, which can add up of course. 

So far so good.  We're in for next season.  I't'll be years before Valour gets anywhere even close to the number of matches I saw the Fury lose.   

Edited by Cheeta

That's pretty awesome.

But it does beg the question - if VWFC is that successful at the box-office against a Canadian opponent, does it change the math of having a MLS squad? I mean, the salary of a CanPL team would be well less than half of an MLS  team, and if you're getting the same revenue you would make a lot more money.

51 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

That's pretty awesome.

But it does beg the question - if VWFC is that successful at the box-office against a Canadian opponent, does it change the math of having a MLS squad? I mean, the salary of a CanPL team would be well less than half of an MLS  team, and if you're getting the same revenue you would make a lot more money.

I don’t think it’s that easy. I bet a big allure to whitecaps fans for these tickets is the the assumption they will get to see their teams absolutely destroy the Cavalry. Vancouver and Calgary has some what of a natural rivalry when it comes to sports. I’m not convinced this game sells as well if it’s a team like Halifax.