2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

1 minute ago, CDNFootballer said:

5100 at Westhills Stadium for Pacific FC vs HFX today, excellent crowd and a full house apparently.

It was definitely great to see such fantastic turnouts at both games. I think that as the season progresses, it’ll be really fun to see the smaller venues filled to capacity (hopefully) like Pacific was today. It creates a really neat intimate atmosphere. I’m a bit concerned for Hamilton’s atmosphere though, their stadium is big for this league, and though I’m sure they’ll draw pretty well, 10-15k out of 25k looks and feels less imposing than a packed 5k stadium. On the other hand, the added gate will help their books nicely, so there’s that. 

4 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

It was definitely great to see such fantastic turnouts at both games. I think that as the season progresses, it’ll be really fun to see the smaller venues filled to capacity (hopefully) like Pacific was today. It creates a really neat intimate atmosphere. I’m a bit concerned for Hamilton’s atmosphere though, their stadium is big for this league, and though I’m sure they’ll draw pretty well, 10-15k out of 25k looks and feels less imposing than a packed 5k stadium. On the other hand, the added gate will help their books nicely, so there’s that. 

Hamilton can at least tarp off the top and will have a chance to fill the lower areas as there are no stands behind the goals.  I am more worried for the atmosphere in Winnipeg.  I understand they are only selling one side of the stadium.  It will feel like an empty cavern in there.

7 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

Hamilton can at least tarp off the top and will have a chance to fill the lower areas as there are no stands behind the goals.  I am more worried for the atmosphere in Winnipeg.  I understand they are only selling one side of the stadium.  It will feel like an empty cavern in there.

Winnipeg will feel fine for games with 7000 or more in attendance, but smaller crowds will feel really thin. 

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

Winnipeg will feel fine for games with 7000 or more in attendance, but smaller crowds will feel really thin. 

Winnipeg also has a stadium that's closed in a bit tighter with roofs that will help with the crowd noise, Hamilton's is wide open.

I agree on your 7K mark, and hopefully both clubs will draw that at minimum for most matches.

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Any chance they could've have filled the stadium if they gave the 1st game away like Hamilton did?

57 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

That sounds more accurate than the CPL's 5100 that's still listed on the league's websites boxscore, where did you find that number?

I saw it somewhere yesterday, and googled it again and the Victoria Times Colonist also has that same number in an article on the game.

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Winnipeg also has a stadium that's closed in a bit tighter with roofs that will help with the crowd noise, Hamilton's is wide open.

I agree on your 7K mark, and hopefully both clubs will draw that at minimum for most matches.

Very good stadium for footie.  Usual complaints about the long field (140 yards) leaving the end stands too far back but otherwise tight along the touch lines.

Fairly closed at both ends, roofs over both grandstands, and the playing field is 18' below gradient so the lower bowl is quite sheltered.  Pitch plays OK.  No better, maybe worse depending who you ask but all in all I think OK. 

This Valour project is all being made up as it goes along.  Broad ideas I'm sure, but it's definately a project getting fleshed out as it moves forward.  Bombers & Co. are letting the product sell itself (or not) which is a shame.  If Valour can take a half assed hold of this city it's going to be a success.    

Wednesday night will be very interesting to watch the attendance number for Pacific. Weekday game only 3 days after the inaugural match. No way they are going to get the large turnout from the mainland that they got for a weekend game. In addition, it is an 8pm kick off on a school night, so that will drastically reduce the number of young kids and their parents. So when you don't have a large season ticket base to begin with, these games are the real test to see where this market is at.

On a side note, a little unfortunate for fans in Winnipeg that their new pro team kicks off its existence at 10pm local team on a Wednesday night. 

So for Saturday's games, What do we know so far? HFX Wanderers have sold the grounds at 6500 capacity stadium, Winnipeg last I heard was at 7,000+, due to demand at Investors Group Field they opened up a new section on the other side of the pitch. Cavalry sounds like their in big trouble, being 30-40 minutes from Downtown Calgary and the main grandstand tickets that range anywhere from $100, $80, $60 to $40 ish. The only real affordable ones are behind the goal, standing room and in the corner ends. With just 3,000 confirmed, sounds like it will be a disaster, I'm afraid it can't be saved. Pacific at one point had 2500 and in 3 weeks rallied to get enough momentum and attention to reach 5,100 to sell out. I'm sure cavalry could do that if it wasn't so far and expensive!!

Either way I'm sure it will be a exciting weekend, but attendance in year 1 will prove and show the legitimacy to the main stream media and general sport fan

Matchweek #2 looks like it will be a 2 out of 3 success, 

Weeknight games will be on the lower end, which because of the imbalanced schedule of having 7 teams not 6 there will always be one 

Edited by Blackjack15

Hopefully Cavalry manages to improve at the last minute.

Looking at the availability for Pacific FC vs. Valour FC, I am guessing the attendance would currently be in the 2500 range Give or take 500). However, it is hard to tell due to the supporters and family sections being unassigned seating.

Given that it is a weeknight game, I would be pleased if they can muster over 3,000. As long as it is not below 2,000, I think they are fine.

What would be more concerning is if Cavalry's home opener on Saturday, does not outdraw a weeknight and second game in 4 days game for PFC. 

Not that anything, at this point, can be taken as a sure sign of success or failure. 

Calgary's possible situation reminds me of the NASL's San Francisco Delta's who overpriced their center field seating and had a season where most matches majority of the crowd was in the cheaper seats at each outside end of the main grandstand. Looked poor and to top it off they made the mistake of announcing turnstile numbers instead of the usual tickets distributed, further shooting themselves in the foot and bringing on even more negative pr.

Hoping the Cavalry surprises with a big crowd for their first game, they are a worry somewhat attendance wise at the moment though with the little info we have.

Not bad for a midweek game, give or take 3000 will be the announced attendance tonight

Although Victoria is really known for being a "walk up crowd" so who knows, lots of people could just buy their tickets at the door plus Sunday's game left a very good impression on everyone even the most negative/skeptical people of all. Luckily for Pacific, their other home games in the spring season are: May 18th (Saturday), June 23rd (Sunday) and Canada Day (Monday - stat holiday). Projected sell outs this summer at Westhills Stadium 

image.jpeg

Edited by Blackjack15

Well my 2500 give or take 500 was pretty close. I gave it the flexibility based on the inability to see the family/supporters section amounts, and it was quite empty in the family section. 

This really is not that bad considering PFC pretty much took one for the league here. They took the first weeknight game under a week into the league kick off. Fair enough considering the weather considerations. 

The seating chart actually looks similar already for the CC game on the 15th, which is a weeknight, so hopefully it is more full for that game. The real test on sustainability will be te game on the 18th vs. York. Saturday at 12:30 should be full.

6 hours ago, NorthBayfan001 said:

Canpl.ca says 2360 at Westhills tonight.

To be fair, mid week games are expected to be on the lower end, PFC also doesn't have a big season ticket foundation at only over 1,000. Other clubs are much stronger. although this will be the lowest it ever gets to this season. At Westhills they still need to put purple seats on the wooden stands and expand the family section behind the goal from 5,200 to 6500 as promised.

If was a school and work night, late kick off *8pm - ended at 10, people from Victoria have a 20 minute drive back home* Plus on Sunday they had tons of fans from the mainland come in to support which was awesome

Confident that they'll sell out on May 18th, June 23rd which are weekends and then there's Canada day! They're Cup game on the Wednesday 15th vs Cavalry will be a bit fuller as they'll have more time (2 weeks) to sell single game tickets as opposed to just 3 days after the opening game. 

Also it's worth noting from people who were at the stadium themselves, the crowd feels very entertained and pleased from what they're seeing! The Jose Hernandez goal just re assured the crowd for a second straight game that the experience is worth it and they're watching quality football. So far so good, in terms of making a good impression, it can only grow from here 

Edited by Blackjack15

Not sure the mid week fixtures are so much the problem as is having two home dates in the same week.  League or cup match I don't think it matters.  A lot of casuals are going to look at the calender and opt for the weekend match as their 1st choice because they aren't going to do both.

Think I wrote before Valour have a great calender, not hosting twice in 4 days being part of it.