Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Awww, the blue dot thread.  I am no expert on blue dots but I do know that plenty of teams across all sorts of promotions.  Most would consider it  good business to bring in new (and more) fans and generate interest in the club.  I hear Valour is even having discounted beer prices.  

You need to get with the programme, this is the Blue Dot Cafe!

Looking like a very solid turn out again at IGF for a team that cannot win for losing. Good to see that level of support.

There was no special promotion for the PFC game vs. Edmonton. I think the solid attendance was more a product of both the great day (Sunday), start time (3pm), and the length of time form the previous game to sell tickets. As for the Canada Day game, I will be there, but have assumed the attendance will be quite low relative to the Edmonton game. I'd be happy with 2,500 given what happens in Greater Victoria on Canada Day Weekend. Half the people leave and go up island camping. The mass exodus began on Wednesday this year. And it seems like most of those who stay go downtown, which has great events for families all day.

4 hours ago, ktf said:

There was no special promotion for the PFC game vs. Edmonton. I think the solid attendance was more a product of both the great day (Sunday), start time (3pm), and the length of time form the previous game to sell tickets.

Mentioned it before and will mention it again, I don't think the mid week fixtures are being hurt so much by the fact they're mid week so much as I think it's more the spacing between home fixtures.  This isn't the NHL, the concept of attending two matches in less than a week is a pretty alien concept to a lot of people. 

Monday is going to be the biggest crowd since the opener at IG Field  (still convinced it will be under-achieving) but have to echo your observation about the cottage crowd this long weekend.  It's been a cooler spring out here and with the weather turning for the better A LOT of people have hit The Lake.  Drive to work on Friday was like, "WTF?" and was out and about today and you'd have sworn it was a quiet Sunday. 

Monday is still going to be crazy good.  Hope the lads are up for it.  🤞    

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Hope the lads are up for it.  🤞    

There you go with those unrealistic expectations again!

My personal unrealistic expectation is a multi goal game. Which might not seem so unreasonable until you realize I'm not counting the ones we concede.

21 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Mentioned it before and will mention it again, I don't think the mid week fixtures are being hurt so much by the fact they're mid week so much as I think it's more the spacing between home fixtures.  This isn't the NHL, the concept of attending two matches in less than a week is a pretty alien concept to a lot of people. 

This is a good point - there were 4 York home games in an 11-day period.  Way too much for me.

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t know if this is the right place to put this but almost no tickets have been bought for the Cardiff game in Edmonton.

Probably isn't the right place but the lack of local CanPL content was a strange one. Cardiff vs Real Valladolid looked like two clubs with an inflated opinion of themselves getting ideas above their station to put it in British terms. There's an ongoing joke in Scotland about how when Celtic play Man Utd in a North American friendly Celtic fans think people are flocking to see them when they are really just there to be the punching bag Washington Generals style. The problem with this fixture was always likely to be that there are two punching bags and no Man Utd involved. A home town heroes David vs Goliath angle in the shape of FCE was the obvious way to go with teams like this.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 minutes ago, Lofty said:

That is crazy. The schedule this season has been weird. They need to sort that out next season.

Another one of my favorite quirks is Pacific and Cavalry go at it again on Saturday. Same home team as today's match

DIY stats: not courtesy of CPL.

FINAL Spring Season Valour Attendances (CPL matches only):

HOME: 32,988 / 5 = 6,598 avg.

Mon  1 Jul 2019 vs. York 9: 6,678

Thu 20 Jun 2019 vs. Pacific: 6,117

Thu 16 May 2019 vs. Forge: 4,731

Sat 11 May 2019 vs. HFX Wanderers: 5,763

Sat  4 May 2019 vs. FC Edmonton: 9,699

AWAY: 21,163 / 5 = 4,232 avg.

Wed 26 Jun 2019 vs. HFX Wanderers: 5,834

Sat  15 Jun 2019 vs. Forge: 7,152

Sun   2 Jun 2019 vs. Edmonton: 3,762

Wed  8 May 2019 vs. Cavalry: 2,055

Wed  1 May 2019 vs. Pacific: 2,360

Not to be niggly but I'd have thought the crowd today topped 7K.  Usual sections were packed and they were putting people into the book ends (ie beyond the supporters section and family zone).  

Few hundred one way or the other doesn't matter I suppose.  Everyone involved and sporting a beer or food or both (spending money!) so all in all a good day at the park.  

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Not to be niggly but I'd have thought the crowd today topped 7K.  Usual sections were packed and they were putting people into the book ends (ie beyond the supporters section and family zone).  

Few hundred one way or the other doesn't matter I suppose.  Everyone involved and sporting a beer or food or both (spending money!) so all in all a good day at the park.  

I think the unsold seats in the ridiculously overpriced centre sections were the difference from 7k. Felt like 7k and sounded like 7k.

The Trench were the loudest I have ever heard them today. Brilliant work people! And while the words to that "stand up if you want to win" thing are lame, man did it catch on and have legs! Felt like it went for minutes and it even reached my section close to midfield! Seemed as though almost everybody to my right was standing and singing and clapping. Crazy!

On 6/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, Lofty said:

Do you have sand in your vagina? 🙄

Hey! I put a ;)

On 6/29/2019 at 3:51 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Cavalry game on Monday doesn't seem to be selling well so far.

Yeah, that was a disappointing attendance for a game we won so nicely. The crowds downtown for Canada Day were nuts. Free concert all afternoon and evening on the Legislature Lawn. We couldn't even get our usual tailgate together as the usual organizer had other commitments and didn't tell us until  last minute. A large cooler of beverages and a frisbee just seemed a little sad. 

Of course winning games will help with marketing. 

I'm happy with that league average as a starting point. But teams below 4k is a concern.

Good battle developing between Forge and Valour for best attended team -- much closer than I expected. If you remove Forge's opener because of all the free tickets, their average is 6,236.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:15 AM, ted said:

Of course winning games will help with marketing. 

I'm just going to have to take your word on that. 😦

We're into what I'm going to call peak season for most of the teams.  The July/August numbers are going to be what holds up the overall averages I'm thinking.  We'll see at seasons end if I'm right or no.

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Look this league needs more teams after awhile seeing the same teams over and over again is not good for attendance, so hopefully next year they can add at least 3 new teams.

I recall back in the old A-League the 86ers playing the Seattle Sounders 7 times during a 28 game season.  Monotonous.

Will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in the number of people showing up for Forge games this month:

https://offer.fevo.com/celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304?fevoUri=celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304%2F

My understanding from what has appeared on Reddit is that there were $10 tickets for the three Forge home games in July being offered at one point as well.

58 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in the number of people showing up for Forge games this month:

https://offer.fevo.com/celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304?fevoUri=celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304%2F

My understanding from what has appeared on Reddit is that there were $10 tickets for the three Forge home games in July being offered at one point as well.

Wouldnt you be kind 'cheesed off' as a season ticket holder if a club did this?? I know if I bought seasons then they started selling single game tickets for as cheap or cheaper I would never be a season ticket holder again. 

I do think single game prices were generally set too high in most laces around the league - however it is bad practice to offer discounts lower then the season ticket holders.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Wouldnt you be kind 'cheesed off' as a season ticket holder if a club did this??...

Yes, but less cheesed off than I would be knowing that there were complimentary tickets being handed out left, right and centre. Hopefully, this is them moving away from doing that sort of thing and soon even this sort of discount will get phased out well before the season ends. I suspect they won't be able to get many/most SSH to renew if they keep letting people in for less than the price per game on a season ticket.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot