Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

14 minutes ago, ted said:

Fair enough. I think it would be interesting to actually poll the entire stadium on a random night. I'd be willing to bet money that a good chunk, maybe even a majority (the words I used above) would like to see TFC in the CanPL. That has no basis in fact, just my opinion.

I also believe it is likely, given the way T.O. sees it's place in the universe, that support for remaining in MLS would be highest in Toronto.

As much as I'd like to think that's the case, I think the fact that fan support (including supporters group numbers) skyrocketed when those teams went MLS, shows that a majority of those fans are MLS product fans.

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

As much as I'd like to think that's the case, I think the fact that fan support (including supporters group numbers) skyrocketed when those teams went MLS, shows that a majority of those fans are MLS product fans.

That may be so but it is the past. I'm thinking about the future. And I'd have little time for "MLS snobs" (and I don't mean to imply you are suggesting these fans are MLS snobs, I'm just sayin').

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

That may be so but it is the past. I'm thinking about the future. And I'd have little time for "MLS snobs" (and I don't mean to imply you are suggesting these fans are MLS snobs, I'm just sayin').

I may be suggesting that many of them are.

10 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Its sarcasm you dunce

I think he knew that, so that makes your insult what then?

For me the interesting part of this thread is where you can leave Canadian territorial waters, and then find that the next territorial waters you run into are Dutch. That is true brotherhood.

I could expand on this more but prefer for someone to take the bait before I do.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, CanSuffer said:

Wheeler said on the broadcast last night that there were about 100 travelling supporters from Calgary in BC Place. That to me is amazing. Even if it's actually 50 or 25 I'm impressed. With the winning result and that kind of hard core fan support, the by-all-accounts amazing atmosphere at ATCO field, and the winning form, I'm feeling good about the future attendance levels for Cavalry.

So you are saying that it is amazing that a Calgarian with time on his or her hands in the summer would go to Vancouver? And also see a game? I am teasing a bit, but I do think you cannot ignore this factor. It was not a match being played in Prince George.

I can assure you that away fans in Champions League come out in droves for two basic reasons: 1-they want to visit the place the game is being played in, and 2) they want to see the rival, for its football history, and their stadium, for the same reason. Support for their team comes third.

I also saw a good contingent of maybe 15 at a Pacific game, so Wednesday's group, which seemed to be more than 100 and I would say even 200 was not surprising. I would bet many were actually living in Vancouver as well. We were commenting that the group grew into the 2nd half, I think because Cavalry fans over the stadium gravitated over there to join them--maybe someone can confirm that.

I

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you are saying that it is amazing that a Calgarian with time on his or her hands in the summer would go to Vancouver? And also see a game? I am teasing a bit, but I do think you cannot ignore this factor. It was not a match being played in Prince George.

I guess I'm still impressed by travelling support in general, and in this case in particular with a brand new team in a new league I find it doubly impressive. Granted for die-hard fans it was potentially and actually quite historic in the Can Champ. And true, no doubt some portion were transplanted Calgarians living in Vancouver.

In NHL,NBA,NFL I was not really familiar with the idea of travelling support. Undoubtedly it happens a bit. In CFL, yes I can think of it a bit with Hamilton or Saskatchewan fans. But in soccer it's seems to be bigger. I think maybe soccer fans might just be more friendly and welcoming. (Or, at the worst extreme, more mob-mentality). They organize it as a big group activity and welcome anyone. It's more visible in the stands and on TV. The players on the field acknowledge it and the commentators often make mention of it.

I consider myself die-hard CPL fan now. York9 is my team. But actually want all the teams to win and succeed somehow! Ha! I travelled with the York9 supporters to the inaugural game in Hamilton. It was fantastic. But I just don't have the time or money to do that often. As much as I would love to, if York9 makes the final against Cavalry I'm not going to be able to travel to Calgary for the away leg.  So, yeah, away support amazes me every time !

11 hours ago, Stanley said:

It skyrocketed because they got a truly professional team in a professional league, the top flight in North America. It wasn't about MLS per se. Now of course, I recognize that many will want to stay in the MLS in the same way many want out of the CFL and into the NFL. I have little time for such Yankee wannabees, but they are there.

2 hours ago, ted said:

It skyrocketed because they got a truly professional team in a professional league, the top flight in North America. It wasn't about MLS per se. Now of course, I recognize that many will want to stay in the MLS in the same way many want out of the CFL and into the NFL. I have little time for such Yankee wannabees, but they are there.

I agree with you, I feel the same way.  And yes there are those who only attend MLS games because of the image of it being "big league".  I recall attending the Southsiders pre game bash before their first ever MLS game and seeing all of these hardcore Southsiders who loved the Whitecaps, blah, blah, blah.  Funny thing is, I'd never seen them before. If they'd love the Whitecaps they'd have supported them before MLS.  I know these same people would be gone if the Whitecaps were to leave for the CPL.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, Rintaran said:

*Looks at a map & tilts head*

I must have missed something, because there's no way the Netherlands counts as Canada's geographical neighbour unless suddenly any country bordering an ocean is our geographical neighbour...

Maybe he meant Denmark??   

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Surprised by the 5111 number announced in Winnipeg:

https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/07/27/canada/canadian-premier-league/valour/cavalry/2991867/

because I would have guessed higher from what we are seeing on onesoccer.

Based on what I was counting on Ticketmaster this morning, I was expecting around 5000.  The capacity in the sections you see is about 7000, so it looked about right to me.  The Trench was full, and most of the middle had good representation, but the section beside us and the 2-3 on the other end were a bit sparse.

2 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Based on what I was counting on Ticketmaster this morning, I was expecting around 5000.  The capacity in the sections you see is about 7000, so it looked about right to me.  The Trench was full, and most of the middle had good representation, but the section beside us and the 2-3 on the other end were a bit sparse.

BTW a quick shout out to the Trench. Even in the large confines of the CFL field they are able to get a good crowd in their section and provide some atmosphere to the place. Well done.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Surprised by the 5111 number announced in Winnipeg:

https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/07/27/canada/canadian-premier-league/valour/cavalry/2991867/

because I would have guessed higher from what we are seeing on onesoccer.

I'm very happy with that number. We are in the middle of "cottage season" here (July/Aug), which is where I expected Valour attendances to be lowest. Not to mention the early KO. If we can pull north of 5k in July/Aug, we are in good shape.

3 hours ago, MrsC said:

Were talking with some people at the match, guestimated at 4,500 or so.  If they're calling it 5,100 probably pretty close with the no-shows.  I'd guess it was the smalled crowd this year.  By actual attendance maybe a bit better than the Cup match?

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

The York number seems about right, probably the most people I have seen there other than the Montreal game.

That's my perception as well. Was hoping that the good showing against the Impact would result in an up-tick in attendance. But then was concerned the heat-wave weather would keep people away. In the end I think we got our up-tick!!  Certainly a fun-day for those in attendance with a good number sticking around for the post-game player meet-and-greet.

This is by no means meant to be rude or condescending, but I am genuinely stumped on this question: why does FC Edmonton have such consistently poor attendance? Cavarly, Pacific and York I can understand (to an extent) as they're still building their local brands. Forge, Valour and Wanderers have been fantastic and show now signs of stopping. But for a team that's been playing for eight years, has an established (and very solid) academy set-up, and a stadium within walking distance of an LRT station I just can't wrap my head around why 4,000 seems such an impossible number. 

Is it the stadium experience? Is it the location? Is there a local lacrosse team or something (beyond the Edmonton . . . uh . . . Inuks) that draws fans away? Is there an issue with publicity/branding? Or does soccer just not resonate in Edmonton for some reason? 

Again, absolutely no disrespect meant toward FC Edmonton or its fans. Back when Ottawa was in the NASL (i.e., before it showed its treacherous colours and snubbed the CPL), the Fury-FC Edmonton matches were always a favourite for me. I want to see Edmonton do well, but for the life of me I can't underatand why they seem to struggle for attendance in a city of over 1,000,000 people.