2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you cut your sandwiches horizontally, you CAN **** off!!!!!  😛

If you cut a sandwich horizontally, don't you just end up with two open-face sandwiches? :)

(sorry, normally, I'm having such discussions about how to cut sandwiches with my 6-year old ... who has opinions.)

Edited by nfitz

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I think what he means by working together is adding MLS reserve teams to the CPL.

Someone should tell him all of the league's stakeholders (fans, sponsors, ownership groups, media partners, sanctioning organizations, etc.) being against MLS reserve teams in the CPL does not equate to a mindset where the league's are bitter enemies. Also, like others have pointed out, these games would not sell well if they were branded as reverse teams.

Related to attendance, since folks talk about pricing, here is an article in Spanish that explains the season ticket prices for all La Liga teams this season. 

https://as.com/futbol/2019/08/16/primera/1565947862_277531.html

It explains that many teams reward fidelty with significant discounts, like Getafe, Levante, Leganés and Villareal, with weaker and less tradition fan bases or less continuity in top flight. 

Teams like Atletico de Madrid, Getafe or Valencia offer very favourable installment deals, deferring payment at the start of the season and spreading payments out over the season.

Family stands, one parent-one child ticketing deals, and youth supporter stands all come into play. 

Six teams have dropped their prices, 8 have more or less kept them the same, while 6, including the three new teams in top flight, have raised prices, logically. The most expensive season deal, which I believe includes Cup, is the Bernabeu, at just over 2000 euros for near the presidential box (where some argue a lot of Spanish political and economic deals take place). It is still under 100 euros a game on average. For European games, you can pay 600 euros more, so that if they get out of the group stage you are paying 150 euros a match or less.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Based on what I'm seeing in Ticketmaster, compared to what I've seen in advance of previous games, it looks to me like Valour ticketed attendance today and on Monday will likely be around 5000.  I'm predicting actual bums in seats to be higher on Monday though.  This city is empty this weekend, and I'm seeing lots of regulars saying they can't make it today.  

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

Based on what I'm seeing in Ticketmaster, compared to what I've seen in advance of previous games, it looks to me like Valour ticketed attendance today and on Monday will likely be around 5000.  I'm predicting actual bums in seats to be higher on Monday though.  This city is empty this weekend, and I'm seeing lots of regulars saying they can't make it today.  

This is totally off topic but where do Winnipeger's go to get out of the city? Do they head up to Northern Manitoba? Or in all diferent directions?

28 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

This is totally off topic but where do Winnipeger's go to get out of the city? Do they head up to Northern Manitoba? Or in all diferent directions?

People say they're going to "the lake" but that can mean a variety of things. There are lots of cottages and beaches around the southern basin of Lake Winnipeg and to a lesser extent Lake Manitoba, but probably the majority head east to cottages in Whiteshell Provincial Park, or into Ontario around Lake of the Woods and the thousands of other lakes in the area. There are cabins around most of the lakes in the southern part of the province, but the big lakes and the Whiteshell/NWO are the biggest destinations.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

Also not the nicest weather for today's game.

Also correct on there being a lot of no shows as the active sections of the lower bowl are clearly well below the ~70% capacity that the announced number implies. Hopefully there will be a lot more filled seats on Monday once people return from the cottage. Was skeptical on summer weekends being highly problematic with a soccer as opposed to a CFL demographic but this game appears to have proved it.

Looking at Pacific home attendance, and comparing with what the baseball team playing at Royal Athletic Park in central Victoria get out: always a smaller crowd. For a key playoff game they got just over 2000 a few days ago. So even arguing that the facility is set up for baseball, soccer would probably double that if Pacific were there. 

In this sense, we have to assess Pacific attendance positively, as it outdraws the other sports draw in the summer (albeit essentially high level amateur), even being in a far inferior location.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:02 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

There is also Clear Lake in Riding Mountain National Park which is a 3 hr drive to the West.  Pembina Valley to the Southwest as well.

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Looking at Pacific home attendance, and comparing with what the baseball team playing at Royal Athletic Park in central Victoria get out: always a smaller crowd. For a key playoff game they got just over 2000 a few days ago. So even arguing that the facility is set up for baseball, soccer would probably double that if Pacific were there. 

I would suggest a 30-50% bump in in attendance if we were at RAP.  Harbourcats have also had several years to engage with the city and build a ticket base. I am pretty positive for the future as more locals realize the team and the league is here to stay.

My theme/meme/hashtag for the end of the season will be around "See you next year". A promise from the fans to return and keep supporting. A promise fro the team to keep playing. A promise from the league to still be running. #seeyounextyear

8 hours ago, Lofty said:

Attendance in Winnipeg this season is definitely a success story but on this Monday night I suspect the actual number was around 4k. Lots of empty seats in sections that are normally much fuller. But those who were there definitely brought the noise! It was a good night!

Lots of empty seats in my section as well, but those are still paid season ticket holders that count towards attendance.

Moving the date of the game impacted my families attendance.  Actual number was 6300 plus.  Great attendance.