Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

Recommended Posts

Edmonton’s attendance is horrible! I think it’s a mix of location(bad area) and little to no marketing. I also think maybe a rebrand would have been a good idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does the 2800 in Edmonton count the people watching on One Soccer as well???    lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, Ngravs said:

I’m assuming these were all purchased tickets and not included in any packages? If so that’s great! 

Free tickets were offered to all City of Hamilton employees.  Not sure what % of crowd they made up but hopefully some had a great time at an entertaining game and come back.  It was always going to be an uphill battle to draw a decent crowd at 6 pm on a weekday so even if not all 4600 were paying customers I'm still pretty happy with the crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much in favour of free tix, but prefer to see discounted tix to specific groups. Either way, get more people out to see the games and hopefully come back to pay full pop. I will say that after we had a chance to think more about the game, we feel it was the most entertaining one we've seen Forge play. We were moved from our regular seats to Club seats, which were nice. Instead of $7 sausage I got a $15 panini, so that didn't work out so well. We still went for the $5 beers prior to kick off.

Now, if Forge decided to give freebies to anyone travelling more than 150kms to a game, I'd think that's a good idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 3:27 PM, Ngravs said:

I’m assuming these were all purchased tickets and not included in any packages? If so that’s great! 

Would definitely be interesting to find out what the averages are on paid attendance in the absence of packages and freebies in each city. Not convinced that what the Forge have been doing is sensible long term, because papering the house usually shapes a perception in the market that this is not a quality league that is worth paying $20 to watch. Guess it's possible that the lease they have with the City of Hamilton may have terms attached that make it important for them to hit certain tickets distributed or in stadium numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would definitely be interesting to find out what the averages are on paid attendance in the absence of packages and freebies in each city. Not convinced that what the Forge have been doing is sensible long term, because papering the house usually shapes a perception in the market that this is not a quality league that is worth paying $20 to watch. Guess it's possible that the lease they have with the City of Hamilton may have terms attached that make it important for them to hit certain tickets distributed or in stadium numbers.

If you give away tickets for free, eventually the perception will be that is what the tickets are worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Inferring that Forge is "papering the house" is simply inaccurate unless you have data to back up that.

Most pro teams give away a certain amount of free tickets for games other league's as well like MLS, USL, etc.

 

On 8/5/2019 at 2:50 PM, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Free tickets were offered to all City of Hamilton employees.  Not sure what % of crowd they made up but hopefully some had a great time at an entertaining game and come back.  

I mean, you're right that a certain amount of free tickets are given away for free in other leagues as well.  It's also a criticism I've seen leveled at other leagues.  Though at this point, I don't think this forum needs another round of "paid vs in attendance vs tickets distributed" debates.  Just put out a good product and people will pay for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Inferring that Forge is "papering the house" is simply inaccurate unless you have data to back up that.

Most pro teams give away a certain amount of free tickets for games other league's as well like MLS, USL, etc.

This.  It was one game in an unknown competition that they just qualified for less than 2 months ago.  Still a very solid crowd all things considered.

Aside from the first game and the CL game the attendance would seem to be all paid - and very, very solid.  Forge has been a success, so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, CDNFootballer said:

 

View image on Twitter

17,611 - League Average April 27th, 2019

5,442 - League Average May 26th, 2019

4,569 - League Average August 5th, 2019

?,??? - League Average October 19th, 2019

By the end of the season will the League Average be over/under 4,000?

Edited by Binky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Binky said:

View image on Twitter

17,611 - League Average April 27th, 2019

5,442 - League Average May 26th, 2019

4,569 - League Average August 5th, 2019

?,??? - League Average October 19th, 2019

By the end of the season will the League Average be over/under 4,000?

I would say it will settle in a shade over 4000. Early number were always inflated by the huge opening day crowd for the free game in Hamilton. I see no reason to think Winnipeg, Hamilton and Halifax should draw 5000-6000+ for the rest of the season. On the flip side Edmonton, Pacific and York are likely to continue to struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see that HFX and Cavalry have had their biggest single game attendance since that Week 5 graphic.

As for whether the league will average more or less than 4k, I'd be curious to see what the average is with home openers removed. Bonus points for a trendline over time without the home openers, so we can see if attendance is falling or not.

Ooh, actually the graph I'd really like to see is the total attendance for every team combined, for each home game. So the Y axis would be total attendance, and the X axis would have Home game 1, home game 2, etc. It's hard to explain, but adding everyone's first home game attendance would be one data point. Then the next data point would be total attendance for all the 2nd home games.

But as long as all the numbers are scattered in a 34 page thread, I'm not going to be compiling this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kent said:

As for whether the league will average more or less than 4k, I'd be curious to see what the average is with home openers removed. Bonus points for a trendline over time without the home openers, so we can see if attendance is falling or not.

2019 CPL HOME OPENERS:

17,611  ~  27-04-2019  ~  Forge FC (vs York9 FC)

05,154  ~  28-04-2019  ~  Pacific FC (vs HFX Wanderers FC)

06,113  ~  04-05-2019  ~  HFX Wanderers FC (vs Forge FC)

03,486  ~  04-05-2019  ~  Calvary FC (vs York9 FC)

10,156  ~  04-05-2019  ~  Valour FC (vs FC Edmonton)

04,238  ~  12-05-2019  ~  FC Edmonton (vs Pacific FC)

04,260  ~  25-05-2019  ~  York9 FC (vs Forge FC)

51,018  Total Attendance 7 Home Openers

I'm sure that you can do the math.

 

Edited by Binky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just in case:

242.177  -  Current 2019 CPL total attendance

051,018  -  2019 CPL 7 home openers

191,159  -  Current 2019 CPL total attendance after deducting the 7 home openers

004,156  -  Current 2019 CPL average attendance after deducting 7 matches from the 53 total matches played thus far.

Again, by the end of the season will the League Average be over/under 4,000?

 

Edited by Binky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...