2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

3 hours ago, ted said:

🤣

This "silent majority" crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument. 

I have not met a single person in the local soccer community that gives a **** about the success of MLS. They may want the Whitecaps to be successful, but now that we have our own pro team, that is less of a concern. Casual fans (the closest thing you can get to an actual, "silent majority") don't understand why the Whitecaps aren't playing in the CanPL, or if they are aware, think they should move.

“This ‘silent majority’ crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument...” 

Wow... relax. You’ve been watching too much CNN or whatever. 

8 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Given they are competing in the same marketplace it's no surprise whatsoever the snubbing of the CPL by TSN/MLS/MLSE. Beyond what they can't avoid (thanks to the CanChamp) there's nothing. It's interesting that some of TSN's on air personalities : Gareth Wheeler, Terry Dunfield, Nigel Reid support the CPL by giving commentary etc on OneSoccer. Credit to them.

I'm trying to figure out why you list MLSE in here. They share some ownership with TSN and Sportsnet, of course, but they don't really make broadcast decisions outside of their own little scope of teams.

If anything, TFC allowing Wheeler and coaches Dunfield and Jon Conway to moonlight as CPL pundits shows that the decision makers at MLSE aren't anti-CPL as much as they are pro-MLSE owned teams, which is kinda obvious.

I can tell you guys from being in Calgary since April that the momentum here is noticeable. The home game against Vancouver drew in lots of new fans who left wanting more. Now with Cavalry moving on I have been hearing a lot of chatter from local media as well as friends and coworkers. Heard a couple of different radio stations talk about the game last night (and I mean like, music stations not just sports talk) as well. A few of my friends who havent been to a game were asking me today when the montreal game is.

I'd say it's going better than anyone could have hoped at this point.

19 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

“This ‘silent majority’ crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument...” 

Wow... relax. You’ve been watching too much CNN or whatever. 

CNN or every mainstream media outlet, lets call a spade a spade.
That being said I'm sure there are many Canadian soccer fans that dont want to see MLS die, unlike Ted.

Edited by Ivanovski94

2 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

That being said I'm sure there are many Canadian soccer fans that dont want to see MLS die, unlike Ted.

Wow, thanks for taking "I don't give a shit" and falsely pretending I wish them harm. Thanks for creating a false narrative to argue against. I don't for one minute believe a majority of Canadian soccer fans want MLS to die, I just don't think a majority of Canadian soccer fans care one way or the other so long as the three teams keep playing pro soccer.

Do a majority of Canadian Soccer fans give a shit about the Eridivisie? Nope. Does that mean they want to see it die? Again, no.

1 minute ago, ted said:

Wow, thanks for taking "I don't give a ****" and falsely pretending I wish them harm. Thanks for creating a false narrative to argue against. I don't for one minute believe a majority of Canadian soccer fans want MLS to die, I just don't think a majority of Canadian soccer fans care one way or the other so long as the three teams keep playing pro soccer.

Do a majority of Canadian Soccer fans give a **** about the Eridivisie? Nope. Does that mean they want to see it die? Again, no.

ohh you're angry, relax tough guy. Most casuals probably would feel a tad sad if they hear a league collapse. Dont get fandom and sympathy mixed up. Using the Eridivise as an example is very smart because the Netherlands is also our geographical neighbour, where most of our best athletes in all disciplines go to further their development with hopes of making a career. MLS, USL, NCAA, provide canadians with another pathway. a copllapse or fracturing of their system would hurt Canadian soccer players, with CPL and our own systems in place, the impact wouldnt be as pronounced, but the systems of the USA are greater because they have more money, investments, infrastructure etc etc.

1 hour ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Using the Eridivise as an example is very smart because the Netherlands is also our geographical neighbour, where most of our best athletes in all disciplines go to further their development with hopes of making a career. 

*Looks at a map & tilts head*

I must have missed something, because there's no way the Netherlands counts as Canada's geographical neighbour unless suddenly any country bordering an ocean is our geographical neighbour...

1 hour ago, ted said:

Again, just because someone does not care, it does NOT follow that they wish harm. 

Same, I don't care about USSF leagues just as much as I don't care about the Swedish leagues...doesn't mean I want to see them crash and burn...couldn't be furthest from the truth.

I'm just wishing that down the road, Canadian dollars and resources are used exclusively to grow the game in Canada, not to help grow USSF leagues while our own could use those resources. Doesn't mean that I don't want Canadian teams to face US teams, just means that we have a Champions League for and more of those games can be arrange through that League Cup if need be (I find it useless though)

18 hours ago, RS said:

I'm trying to figure out why you list MLSE in here. They share some ownership with TSN and Sportsnet, of course, but they don't really make broadcast decisions outside of their own little scope of teams.

If anything, TFC allowing Wheeler and coaches Dunfield and Jon Conway to moonlight as CPL pundits shows that the decision makers at MLSE aren't anti-CPL as much as they are pro-MLSE owned teams, which is kinda obvious.

Fair enough. I may be being a bit harsh lumping MLSE in with them. I guess I see it as a birds of a feather flock together kind of thing. I don't think they are sort of active against the CPL in the way the TSN/MLS are with almost radio silence on CPL. At the same time I don't see MLSE doing anything to help CPL either. Actually, as I think about it, to counter my own argument, you can say that allowing the Telfer loan from TFC to York9 is a support for the league. I think that one has been good for both parties, actually.

4 hours ago, Rintaran said:

I must have missed something, because there's no way the Netherlands counts as Canada's geographical neighbour unless suddenly any country bordering an ocean is our geographical neighbour...

Its sarcasm you dunce

On 7/25/2019 at 2:07 PM, ted said:

Great, you do that. So will the rest of us. The only difference is, most of us don't care if MLS lives or dies, and that includes a good chunk (if not a majority) of Whitecaps, Impact, and TFC fans who would be happy to see these teams jump to CanPL.

If you feel the need to support an American league, you go right ahead, I like watching the EPL, I know people who are excited LMX is coming to OneSoccer.  Your point was that in the minds of your imaginary , "silent majority", somehow it is better for the Whitecaps (et al) to remain in MLS. This is simply not true.

Just want to know where are you getting this notion that TFC fans would be happy if TFC left the MLS and went to the CPL. I’m a TFC ticket holder since day one , you know I actually have spent my hard earned money since 2007 supporting pro soccer here in Toronto and Canada, anyways I’ve not heard from anyone around the section that I’ve been seating in at BMO Field that would be that happy for TFC joining the CPL, so just curious where your getting this from?

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

...I’ve not heard from anyone around the section that I’ve been seating in at BMO Field that would be that happy for TFC joining the CPL, so just curious where your getting this from?

Fair enough. I think it would be interesting to actually poll the entire stadium on a random night. I'd be willing to bet money that a good chunk, maybe even a majority (the words I used above) would like to see TFC in the CanPL. That has no basis in fact, just my opinion.

I also believe it is likely, given the way T.O. sees it's place in the universe, that support for remaining in MLS would be highest in Toronto.

14 minutes ago, ted said:

Fair enough. I think it would be interesting to actually poll the entire stadium on a random night. I'd be willing to bet money that a good chunk, maybe even a majority (the words I used above) would like to see TFC in the CanPL. That has no basis in fact, just my opinion.

I also believe it is likely, given the way T.O. sees it's place in the universe, that support for remaining in MLS would be highest in Toronto.

As much as I'd like to think that's the case, I think the fact that fan support (including supporters group numbers) skyrocketed when those teams went MLS, shows that a majority of those fans are MLS product fans.

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

That may be so but it is the past. I'm thinking about the future. And I'd have little time for "MLS snobs" (and I don't mean to imply you are suggesting these fans are MLS snobs, I'm just sayin').

I may be suggesting that many of them are.

10 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Its sarcasm you dunce

I think he knew that, so that makes your insult what then?

For me the interesting part of this thread is where you can leave Canadian territorial waters, and then find that the next territorial waters you run into are Dutch. That is true brotherhood.

I could expand on this more but prefer for someone to take the bait before I do.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, CanSuffer said:

Wheeler said on the broadcast last night that there were about 100 travelling supporters from Calgary in BC Place. That to me is amazing. Even if it's actually 50 or 25 I'm impressed. With the winning result and that kind of hard core fan support, the by-all-accounts amazing atmosphere at ATCO field, and the winning form, I'm feeling good about the future attendance levels for Cavalry.

So you are saying that it is amazing that a Calgarian with time on his or her hands in the summer would go to Vancouver? And also see a game? I am teasing a bit, but I do think you cannot ignore this factor. It was not a match being played in Prince George.

I can assure you that away fans in Champions League come out in droves for two basic reasons: 1-they want to visit the place the game is being played in, and 2) they want to see the rival, for its football history, and their stadium, for the same reason. Support for their team comes third.

I also saw a good contingent of maybe 15 at a Pacific game, so Wednesday's group, which seemed to be more than 100 and I would say even 200 was not surprising. I would bet many were actually living in Vancouver as well. We were commenting that the group grew into the 2nd half, I think because Cavalry fans over the stadium gravitated over there to join them--maybe someone can confirm that.

I

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you are saying that it is amazing that a Calgarian with time on his or her hands in the summer would go to Vancouver? And also see a game? I am teasing a bit, but I do think you cannot ignore this factor. It was not a match being played in Prince George.

I guess I'm still impressed by travelling support in general, and in this case in particular with a brand new team in a new league I find it doubly impressive. Granted for die-hard fans it was potentially and actually quite historic in the Can Champ. And true, no doubt some portion were transplanted Calgarians living in Vancouver.

In NHL,NBA,NFL I was not really familiar with the idea of travelling support. Undoubtedly it happens a bit. In CFL, yes I can think of it a bit with Hamilton or Saskatchewan fans. But in soccer it's seems to be bigger. I think maybe soccer fans might just be more friendly and welcoming. (Or, at the worst extreme, more mob-mentality). They organize it as a big group activity and welcome anyone. It's more visible in the stands and on TV. The players on the field acknowledge it and the commentators often make mention of it.

I consider myself die-hard CPL fan now. York9 is my team. But actually want all the teams to win and succeed somehow! Ha! I travelled with the York9 supporters to the inaugural game in Hamilton. It was fantastic. But I just don't have the time or money to do that often. As much as I would love to, if York9 makes the final against Cavalry I'm not going to be able to travel to Calgary for the away leg.  So, yeah, away support amazes me every time !

11 hours ago, Stanley said:

As much as I'd like to think that's the case, I think the fact that fan support (including supporters group numbers) skyrocketed when those teams went MLS, shows that a majority of those fans are MLS product fans.

It skyrocketed because they got a truly professional team in a professional league, the top flight in North America. It wasn't about MLS per se. Now of course, I recognize that many will want to stay in the MLS in the same way many want out of the CFL and into the NFL. I have little time for such Yankee wannabees, but they are there.

2 hours ago, ted said:

It skyrocketed because they got a truly professional team in a professional league, the top flight in North America. It wasn't about MLS per se. Now of course, I recognize that many will want to stay in the MLS in the same way many want out of the CFL and into the NFL. I have little time for such Yankee wannabees, but they are there.

I agree with you, I feel the same way.  And yes there are those who only attend MLS games because of the image of it being "big league".  I recall attending the Southsiders pre game bash before their first ever MLS game and seeing all of these hardcore Southsiders who loved the Whitecaps, blah, blah, blah.  Funny thing is, I'd never seen them before. If they'd love the Whitecaps they'd have supported them before MLS.  I know these same people would be gone if the Whitecaps were to leave for the CPL.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, Rintaran said:

Maybe he meant Denmark??   

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Surprised by the 5111 number announced in Winnipeg:

https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/07/27/canada/canadian-premier-league/valour/cavalry/2991867/

because I would have guessed higher from what we are seeing on onesoccer.

Based on what I was counting on Ticketmaster this morning, I was expecting around 5000.  The capacity in the sections you see is about 7000, so it looked about right to me.  The Trench was full, and most of the middle had good representation, but the section beside us and the 2-3 on the other end were a bit sparse.