2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

2 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Based on what I was counting on Ticketmaster this morning, I was expecting around 5000.  The capacity in the sections you see is about 7000, so it looked about right to me.  The Trench was full, and most of the middle had good representation, but the section beside us and the 2-3 on the other end were a bit sparse.

BTW a quick shout out to the Trench. Even in the large confines of the CFL field they are able to get a good crowd in their section and provide some atmosphere to the place. Well done.

3 hours ago, MrsC said:

Based on what I was counting on Ticketmaster this morning, I was expecting around 5000.  The capacity in the sections you see is about 7000, so it looked about right to me.  The Trench was full, and most of the middle had good representation, but the section beside us and the 2-3 on the other end were a bit sparse.

Were talking with some people at the match, guestimated at 4,500 or so.  If they're calling it 5,100 probably pretty close with the no-shows.  I'd guess it was the smalled crowd this year.  By actual attendance maybe a bit better than the Cup match?

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

The York number seems about right, probably the most people I have seen there other than the Montreal game.

That's my perception as well. Was hoping that the good showing against the Impact would result in an up-tick in attendance. But then was concerned the heat-wave weather would keep people away. In the end I think we got our up-tick!!  Certainly a fun-day for those in attendance with a good number sticking around for the post-game player meet-and-greet.

This is by no means meant to be rude or condescending, but I am genuinely stumped on this question: why does FC Edmonton have such consistently poor attendance? Cavarly, Pacific and York I can understand (to an extent) as they're still building their local brands. Forge, Valour and Wanderers have been fantastic and show now signs of stopping. But for a team that's been playing for eight years, has an established (and very solid) academy set-up, and a stadium within walking distance of an LRT station I just can't wrap my head around why 4,000 seems such an impossible number. 

Is it the stadium experience? Is it the location? Is there a local lacrosse team or something (beyond the Edmonton . . . uh . . . Inuks) that draws fans away? Is there an issue with publicity/branding? Or does soccer just not resonate in Edmonton for some reason? 

Again, absolutely no disrespect meant toward FC Edmonton or its fans. Back when Ottawa was in the NASL (i.e., before it showed its treacherous colours and snubbed the CPL), the Fury-FC Edmonton matches were always a favourite for me. I want to see Edmonton do well, but for the life of me I can't underatand why they seem to struggle for attendance in a city of over 1,000,000 people.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does the 2800 in Edmonton count the people watching on One Soccer as well???    lol

On 8/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, Ngravs said:

I’m assuming these were all purchased tickets and not included in any packages? If so that’s great! 

Free tickets were offered to all City of Hamilton employees.  Not sure what % of crowd they made up but hopefully some had a great time at an entertaining game and come back.  It was always going to be an uphill battle to draw a decent crowd at 6 pm on a weekday so even if not all 4600 were paying customers I'm still pretty happy with the crowd.

Not so much in favour of free tix, but prefer to see discounted tix to specific groups. Either way, get more people out to see the games and hopefully come back to pay full pop. I will say that after we had a chance to think more about the game, we feel it was the most entertaining one we've seen Forge play. We were moved from our regular seats to Club seats, which were nice. Instead of $7 sausage I got a $15 panini, so that didn't work out so well. We still went for the $5 beers prior to kick off.

Now, if Forge decided to give freebies to anyone travelling more than 150kms to a game, I'd think that's a good idea!

On 8/2/2019 at 3:27 PM, Ngravs said:

I’m assuming these were all purchased tickets and not included in any packages? If so that’s great! 

Would definitely be interesting to find out what the averages are on paid attendance in the absence of packages and freebies in each city. Not convinced that what the Forge have been doing is sensible long term, because papering the house usually shapes a perception in the market that this is not a quality league that is worth paying $20 to watch. Guess it's possible that the lease they have with the City of Hamilton may have terms attached that make it important for them to hit certain tickets distributed or in stadium numbers.

11 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would definitely be interesting to find out what the averages are on paid attendance in the absence of packages and freebies in each city. Not convinced that what the Forge have been doing is sensible long term, because papering the house usually shapes a perception in the market that this is not a quality league that is worth paying $20 to watch. Guess it's possible that the lease they have with the City of Hamilton may have terms attached that make it important for them to hit certain tickets distributed or in stadium numbers.

If you give away tickets for free, eventually the perception will be that is what the tickets are worth.