CONCACAF Nations League - Venue Discussions

hamiltonfan

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

Was just looking at some prices right now, and it's $500 for some 7 day all inclusives... (albeit Cubas delicious food). 

I definitely want to go, probably convince a few of my soccer team guys to go as well, only thing is I have a family Vacay booked for the 13th..

What did you guys do last time? Days spent? Where did the game fall between duration? Where did you stay in Cuba? 

Last time we stayed at Memories Beach Resort in Varadero, we left on the Saturday and I believe the match was Tuesday, I could have that wrong though, we missed the home friendly with the US, that's why I was waiting to see where the home match was this time before booking! It was a one week all inclusive hanging out with Voyageurs from all over the country, it was so much fun, we bussed in to Havana for the match, about 2 hours and celebrated all the way home after a stop at the Canadian Embassy in Havana!

18 minutes ago, admin said:

Hold off on booking anything just yet.  

Let's see what/if Don't Panic can come up with. 

At the very least if there is not a package, we should try to point people to the same place so organizing a ground package is possible, which is I think necessary. 

Ill definitely need a 4 day package leaving Sunday after the home game.😀

1 hour ago, JuicyHam said:

The game happening during hurricane season a concern for anyone? 

Shouldn't be a concern, but cancellation insurance is advisable.  A friend got stranded in Grenada during a big hurricane a bunch of years ago because he didn't have insurance and didn't want to risk wasting the money.  

I anticipate the Canada at US game will likely be in Florida/SE with the USMNT also playing at Cuba during that international break. The USSF has lots of optitions that they know well from Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando and the Miami area. 

20 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I anticipate the Canada at US game will likely be in Florida/SE with the USMNT also playing at Cuba during that international break. The USSF has lots of optitions that they know well from Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando and the Miami area. 

For those in Southern Ontario, lots of cheap flights going to Florida on Southwest or Frontier from Buffalo.

50 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

For those in Southern Ontario, lots of cheap flights going to Florida on Southwest or Frontier from Buffalo.

I normally dont fly with airlines where the flight attendants rap instructions on what to do if you're on fire while drowning,  but a cheap flight is a cheap flight. 

How do we expect to grow the game in Canada when every game the MNT plays is in Toronto or Vancouver... we need to start having friendlies and moving them around the country if they won’t give other cities any games. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

How do we expect to grow the game in Canada when every game the MNT plays is in Toronto or Vancouver... we need to start having friendlies and moving them around the country if they won’t give other cities any games. 

Yes I agree. But let's put our quality world class stars in world.. Nvm in class stadiums. 

Name them. Go! 

2 hours ago, Reign said:

Here's my hot take. Having a bunch more friendlies and spreading them around smaller cities helps the game a little but not really moving the needle (though it might drastically help our national team)

Winning a gold cup really changes the game in Canada. And we double down on that excitement by scheduling friendlies around the country the following year. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Yes I agree. But let's put our quality world class stars in world.. Nvm in class stadiums. 

Name them. Go! 

Bmo field isn’t a world class stadium, it’s a good stadium same with BC Place but neither are world class. Canada doesn’t have world class soccer stadiums we have nice ones but I wouldn’t consider any of them world class. 

12 hours ago, Reign said:

I agree that the team should have more home friendlies and spread them around the country, but I don't get the argument about not being able to grow the game without other cities hosting matches.

The Raptors and Blue Jays are prime examples of how all of Canada can rally around a team that never plays outside of a single city. As @Yoginess said above, a Gold Cup win will be what moves the needle across the country. A World Cup berth would really do it, regardless of whether the clinching game is played in Toronto, Vancouver or Iqaluit.

Hmmmm, like the last gold cup win moved the needle??   

But give the CPL a couple seasons.  People is Halifax, Winnipeg, Hamilton etc are getting on board and creating new buzz and new fans.  The staus quo of BMO being the defacto host with a rare trip to Van or Montreal wont cut it for long.  

9 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Bmo field isn’t a world class stadium, it’s a good stadium same with BC Place but neither are world class. Canada doesn’t have world class soccer stadiums we have nice ones but I wouldn’t consider any of them world class. 

My sarcasm went over the head. .. I was saying BMO isn't world class... But it is a class stadium. One of the very few in tbe country. 

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

My sarcasm went over the head. .. I was saying BMO isn't world class... But it is a class stadium. One of the very few in tbe country. 

I thought you were saying only Toronto and Vancouver had world class stadiums, so that’s why we don’t play in a lot of different cities.

38 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Hmmmm, like the last gold cup win moved the needle??   

It most certainly did move the needle. The problem was the team immediately following it up with a choke job in World Cup qualifying and reclaiming their place in obscurity.

18 hours ago, Cblake said:

One rumour doing the rounds earlier was St. Louis at Busch Stadium. I've no idea how reliable that rumour was though.