Tajon Buchanan

nolando

In one of the games I watched recently the commentator was saying he wants to impress too much and is trying too hard when he comes on. He said he needs to relax and let things come naturally. Not sure if the forum comments are similar? He was making silly mistakes by trying hard for sure when I have seen them. He is does look technically sound, quick and has height. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, One American said:

Looks like a young player coming into his own. Reminds me of young Clint Dempsey in those clips. If he keeps it up, he'll be a top 100 player and a CanMNT starter by next summer.

Appreciate you sharing your opinions on him. As a NER fan you must surely watch him more than any other poster on this website. I must be honest, he often flies under my radar. I am happy to hear you rate him so highly. 

I remember Matt Doyle's article from a while back projecting Canada's possible roster for WC 2022. It was a cool article (I appreciate the coverage), but one thing that stood out was him picking Buchanan over Hoilett to make the team.

To me it seemed like it was less about devaluing Hoilett and more about bringing forth his excitement about Tajon. Of course, I don't expect Junior to get left off our potential WC team for Buchanan, but it was a nice to see how highly others rate this guy. If he can even come close to threatening Hoilett's place he'll be quite the player. It would bode well for us.

Yea but it's pretty unrealistic to think that Hoilett's position is under threat from a guy who has never been in the picture at all (youth teams) for Canada. Now that doesn't mean he isn't worthy, or deserving of a place...but Hoilett is not someone you can logically compare him too. 

The guy who's position is under threat is Liam Millar, or Tesho Akindele....considering they both barely play for Canada (in real matches) would suggest why I stated Tajon would only be a contributor.  

And not to attack the poster, but he also suggested Scott Kennedy would be starting for Canada in addition to Buchanan, and Osorio would be playing on the other wing. So yes he maybe a NER fan, but seems totally out of it in regards to the rest of the players in the pool.

10 hours ago, Ruffian said:

The highlights of the NE vs Nashville game was basically 50% Tajon. He just can't score!

When you said "He just can't score," I cringed for a second and thought it was going to be a compilation of missed sitters. Well, to be fair, one of the chances could be argued a sitter. Anyhow, I think the kid is exciting and reminds me of Pavel Nedved with the dribbling and long range efforts. Pull this guy back a little and turn him into an attacking mid or a left sided player and our offense is complete IMO. 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

When you said "He just can't score," I cringed for a second and thought it was going to be a compilation of missed sitters. Well, to be fair, one of the chances could be argued a sitter. Anyhow, I think the kid is exciting and reminds me of Pavel Nedved with the dribbling and long range efforts. Pull this guy back a little and turn him into an attacking mid or a left sided player and our offense is complete IMO. 

From the highlights it looks like he was roaming a bit, and was in the position of an attacking mid.

14 hours ago, Macksam said:

When you said "He just can't score," I cringed for a second and thought it was going to be a compilation of missed sitters. 

It was said more like that is all he didn't do on the night. He did everything else. If he keeps having those performances and putting shots on net like he did in that game, he will score!

22 hours ago, Shway said:

From the highlights it looks like he was roaming a bit, and was in the position of an attacking mid.

Oh yeah, he definitely looked to be playing that role. It suits him.

We need a guy like this on the national team. We have the finnese guys like Davies and David covered but a powerful substance over style guy like Buchanan is will routinely drive the play forward for us, a guy that dribbles with conviction and just unleashes howitzers from range. To me, this is the blueprint for the quintessential Canadian player, like the aforementioned Nedved, just a skillful, tenacious, hungry player that loves to get involved all over the field.

Edited by Macksam

• 2 weeks later...