Possible CPL Salary Cap Discussion

Initial B

^ Echo that.  It's a good fit for all concerned. 

Say of it what you will but I'm quite sure the training field exposure a third 'keeper will receive on any CPL team will be far superior to anything they'd otherwise experience elsewhere.  May serve them in very good stead should they continue in their footballing career.  

Hell, may even encourage them to give a footballing career a go.  You never know.  Keepers are funny.   

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Another dude in the same thread:

Got to start somewhere. It’s better to start from a position of caution, keep the overhead low, allow the clubs to prosper and get entrenched, and then raise or eventually eliminate the cap years from now. 

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

Got to start somewhere. It’s better to start from a position of caution, keep the overhead low, allow the clubs to prosper and get entrenched, and then raise or eventually eliminate the cap years from now. 

Agree with the strategy involved with the apparent low salary cap and the idea of making expansion into lots of small markets possible down the road, if all goes well. Think if you look at the rosters that have been assembled 750k seems on the high side for who has been signed so far but not drastically so.

No one knows the salary cap but the league and ownership. Without a CBA, the league has the luxury to keep quiet, keep agents guessing and giving them the ability to push down the prices. 

With no obligations to talk salary, they'd have to be incredibly stupid businesswise to tell agents the real value of the cap, let alone trusting them to not leak it.... unless they are seeking to mislead them to lower their asking prices.

We don't know and most likely won't know until a union gets in there. 

Edited by Ansem

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No one knows the salary cap but the league and ownership. Without a CBA, the league has the luxury to keep quiet, keep agents guessing and giving them the ability to push down the prices. 

With no obligations to talk salary, they'd have to be incredibly stupid businesswise to tell agents the real value of the cap, let alone trusting them to not leak it.... unless they are seeking to mislead them to lower their asking prices.

We don't know and most likely won't know until a union gets in there. 

Source?

• 1 month later...

https://nationalpost.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton/jones-canadian-premier-league-easier-on-wallet-for-fc-edmonton-owners/wcm/47a41d28-c7d4-4ea9-9c74-c720f3e3f506?video_autoplay=true

... But the real saving is going to be in player salaries.

The CPL has a salary cap. To this point it hasn’t been made public, but I believe it to be between $600,000 and $750,000 a year. Maybe even less.

Fath wouldn’t confirm my salary cap numbers either but he wasn’t avoiding the point of the discussion.

“I will definitely say our salaries are significantly less.” ...

On 4/9/2019 at 6:04 PM, mpg_29 said:

Grain of salt and all but:

If it was a player agent, he was obvious told a figure lower than the reality, for a simple reason (as many have already explained here): you never tell a player agent how much you have to spend, or anything to make him think his player is making something below the median. 

For example, 750k divided by a roster of 23 gives you just over 32,000 per player. The agent thinks: "no way my guy is going to sign for less than the median". 

Unless the agents are all sharing information and have pooled their information services, which they might be in part, but most likely that is not reliable information.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://nationalpost.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton/jones-canadian-premier-league-easier-on-wallet-for-fc-edmonton-owners/wcm/47a41d28-c7d4-4ea9-9c74-c720f3e3f506?video_autoplay=true

... But the real saving is going to be in player salaries.

The CPL has a salary cap. To this point it hasn’t been made public, but I believe it to be between $600,000 and $750,000 a year. Maybe even less.

Fath wouldn’t confirm my salary cap numbers either but he wasn’t avoiding the point of the discussion.

“I will definitely say our salaries are significantly less.” ...

You do know that as an owner, it's 1000% in his own best interest to low ball that figure as much as possible, right?

If anything, CPL are paying most players at or below market value, and keeping everyone in the dark is one crucial way to achieve that.

Edited by Ansem

12 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

At some point, once you've caught all those kids who would have otherwise fallen through the cracks, I think you want to majority of your 7 internationals to be close to CMNT calibre. I think you also want a league minimum of around $50k. This will probably mean a cap between $2-3m.

Yea at 'some point' we are no where remotely close to being there. Id say that's a 10-20 year goal. 

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You do know that as an owner, it's 1000% in his own best interest to low ball that figure as much as possible, right?

If anything, CPL are paying most players at or below market value, and keeping everyone in the dark is one crucial way to achieve that.

Tom Fath made a huge fuss over the business plan having to be sustainable before FCE would come back, so I think it runs a bit deeper than that. The first few games have demonstrated that they can achieve a watchable level of soccer without going crazy on salaries with heavily Canadian rosters. A low salary cap is a positive for the league because if they can make it work on somewhere in the 500-750k range on player salaries then expansion into a lot of 200k + markets should be very much viable as stadium solutions are identified and the league is likely to hang around. It was the higher salary caps that some on here craved that were likely to lead to a negative outcome for the league.

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Tom Fath made a huge fuss over the business plan having to be sustainable before FCE would come back, so I think it runs a bit deeper than that. The first few games have demonstrated that they can achieve a watchable level of soccer without going crazy on salaries with heavily Canadian rosters. A low salary cap is a positive for the league because if they can make it work on somewhere in the 500-750k range on player salaries then expansion into a lot of 200k + markets should be very much viable as stadium solutions are identified and the league is likely to hang around. It was the higher salary caps that some on here craved that were likely to lead to a negative outcome for the league.

My point is simply that, we don't know what it is. No one expected MLS level salaries. 

The fact that they can pay at value or lower the Canadian talent that are offering a good level of football is a very big positive for the league. When their contracts are up, they will either get a pay raise, be sold or transferred. 

Buy low, sell high. Good move. The cap will go up over time, not really that relevant what it is on year 1, the level of play was what mattered and they are doing well there. It's a plus they can do that on low salaries. Add chemistry over time and the quality will just keep going up.

That's really what's important 

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

My point is simply that, we don't know what it is. No one expected MLS level salaries. 

The fact that they can pay at value or lower the Canadian talent that are offering a good level of football is a very big positive for the league. When their contracts are up, they will either get a pay raise, be sold or transferred

Buy low, sell high. Good move. The cap will go up over time, not really that relevant what it is on year 1, the level of play was what mattered and they are doing well there. It's a plus they can do that on low salaries. Add chemistry over time and the quality will just keep going up.

That's really what's important 

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but keep in mind that when they're contracts are up they can't be sold/transferred.  They're free to go where they want.  So it would be a case of either giving them a raise, losing them for nothing, or selling them before their contracts expire.  At this stage, I think if a team gets the chance to sell a player on (regardless of the amount), they should take it.  It would be great to be able to demonstrate to players "look, we can help you develop and get you to a higher level".

Wonder who is the highest paid in the league? 

Both De Jong and Petrasso were making around 150 000 US last year in MLS.

By the way the minimum in MLS last year was about 55 000, this is what Didic was at.

Edited by fil

• 3 months later...

Instead of bringing a DP rule, would prefer to see the league help in some way the bottom feeding teams (Valour/Pacific) to increase competitiveness.

DP's favors teams that are already well off as it is. Would not be surprised if a option for a DP was introduced, only Forge and Cavalry would use it creating a further separation from the good teams and the bad teams.

I'm not really sure where I stand on this. I might be ok with one such player per team. 

Of course the CPL would need to come up with its own nomenclature. Can't call it DP. 

But please don't start introducing things like TAM and GAM and allocation. It's a joke when you see MLS teams make trades involving no players

Edited by narduch

I totally agree. I think the CPL should avoid a salary cap and a dp rule. Perhaps internally have certain understandings but overtly I don't want to know about it. All this money talk is discouraging and distracting when it comes to other sports. I think it turns off fans. Just let the play speak for itself

Edited by SpursFlu

I think a salary cap is fine, and probably necessary in a fledgling league, but like you say there is no need to have every financial detail public. This is something the CFL gets mostly right: it's a capped league with no DPs but we're not inundated with a bunch of cap geek style punditry that is a big part of NBA, NHL and NFL coverage.

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The CPL chiefs would be wise to recognize their competitive advantage to MLS.  CPL has a chance to differentiate and to be organic.  If we start using MLS rules people may as well support MLS.

So you're saying it's a competitive advantage to differentiate ourselves from MLS by copying traditional leagues? Why?  

I would honestly prefer if the league moved away from a salary cap and a avoided a DP rule. I think they make for a much less honest competition. But having different roster regulations from MLS is not the reason that Canadians should support this league. We should support the league because it's ours and because of the leagues commitment to Canadian players, coaches, fans, cities...