Possible CPL Salary Cap Discussion

Initial B

Pretty sure it was always Canadian dollars for CFL...

I'm the 1st want who wants our players to be paid well but for an inaugural year where healthcare and accommodations is taken care off, it could have been far worse.

Housing can represent between 1/3 to half of all income (after tax) in Canada, being paid $40k for 8 months of football without paying housing isn't terrible.

Don't get me wrong, those who performs deserve to be paid or be sold somewhere who will pay them better with better opportunities.

USL being far from parity, it's not a great comparison point. You can have team paying very well and others where you still be 2 or 3 jobs. CPL doesn't seems to be that way. Happy that housing is handled by teams.

Edited by Ansem

17 hours ago, Lofty said:

I think you have a typo in there bud!! 😂

But yeah, of course CPL is CAD unless they explicitly say otherwise. I understand people wanting the cap to be higher than it is but this is just the beginning -- it will take time.

He meant what he said. On the previous page we had someone state without a source that CFL pays in USD, and then we had someone else state without a source that CFL pays in CAD. His first line was just showing how people are just saying contradictory things as if they are fact, without giving a source.

At one point Ottawa sources were claiming the cap was only 500k. Think it's safe to assume now that they were using a USD number because 500k rather than $CAN 750k bolstered their argument at the time that the Fury were steering clear because the league was too low budget and would be too low quality as it would involve lots of L1O players.

Eighteen months on and it's now clear that it is possible to put a pro level team together that will provide entertaining soccer for $CAN 750k. There were lots of players available in leagues like L1O that were not too far off in quality from those the Fury were signing for more money in a USL-C context on a budget that appears to have led to a lot of seven figure losses for the Fury and FCE  over the years.

A lower budget financial model that gives investors a legitimate shot at break even is the key to this league being around for the foreseeable future with a growing number of teams participating in the years ahead. The trap that needs to be avoided is the mentality that the league has to compete with MLS or even the USL-C independent teams on salaries for irrational reasons of tub thumping national pride. It just needs to be the best it can be in a Canadian context while running sustainably at close to break even.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

^^^^

It's also possible Ottawa low-balled the figure to denigrate the league, since they did so on so many other levels as well. Like stating there were no CPL players they would sign, and the like.

Even if they were using 500k US as their estimation of the CPL salary cap, that would give you 670k Canadian, well below the real figure. So that even if you are right, they were still trash-talking the CPL in a way that was totally unnecessary.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

At one point Ottawa sources were claiming the cap was only 500k. Think it's safe to assume now that they were using a USD number because 500k rather than $CAN 750k bolstered ...........

We don't know definitively what the salary cap is -- or even how it's defined. There's lots of back-of-the-envelope calculations, unauthoritative quotes and comments, etc. But its all speculation.

As far as speculation goes, personally, I put very little weight behind what a disgruntled Fury organization may have suggested   ...

We had the $CAN 750k number confirmed by Atletico Madrid's president (?) in a recent interview. It's long been rumoured by people with inside contacts that $CAN 750k was the cap prior to that, so that didn't come as a surprise. There has been talk that there is also a floor player salary spend of $650k with not all the teams (the Valour tend to get mentioned here) spending up to the cap last season. We know there is also a separate salary cap for the coaching staff with scope for some double dipping between the two pots of money by player-coaches, which may explain Thomas Nef's higher 800k number.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

We had the $CAN 750k number confirmed by Atletico Madrid's president (?) in a recent interview. It's long been rumoured by people with inside contacts that $CAN 750k was the cap prior to that, so that didn't come as a surprise. There has been talk that there is also a floor player salary spend of $650k with not all the teams (the Valour tend to get mentioned here) spending up to the cap last season. We know there is also a separate salary cap for the coaching staff with scope for some double dipping between the two pots of money by player-coaches, which may explain Thomas Nef's higher 800k number.

"Long been rumoured"

"There has been talk"

"We know" (without reference)

You are making my point for me.

I will grant that the hardest data point is the Athletico Ottawa owner making a slip-up in Spanish and not repeating it in English. Still we don't know what his definition of cap is.

I'm not saying either that some of the speculation is totally unreasonable. Just don't like the fast and free interchange of the non-credible with the credible.

2 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

"Long been rumoured"

"There has been talk"

"We know" (without reference)

You are making my point for me.

I will grant that the hardest data point is the Athletico Ottawa owner making a slip-up in Spanish and not repeating it in English. Still we don't know what his definition of cap is.

I'm not saying either that some of the speculation is totally unreasonable. Just don't like the fast and free interchange of the non-credible with the credible.

Wrong. And also a bit racist, since you seem to think a statement made in Spanish does not have credence.

He says in the press conference, to a Spanish question, that the cap is 750 dollars. He leaks this info when he shouldn't since no other owner had said it publicly. Perhaps precisely because he is answering a question of someone doing a Spanish language program in Ottawa, so he seems to let his guard down.  

The figure actually is close or exactly the same as the figures that were most leaked unofficially last year.

If you don't understand Spanish, go learn and listen for yourself and stop with this inane posting.

Minuto 58, segundo 22.

"Estamos trabajando con CPL para la confección de la plantilla. Tenemos algún margen de jugadores no locales, y también hay un salary cap muy estricto, que es 750 mil dolares brutos de salary cap. Tenemos la posibilidad de pagar nosotros a un máximo de 2 jugadores. Entre sus reglas y los jugadores del draft que nos ofrecen, más lo que podamos aportar, seguro que vamos a tener un equipo que pueda competir."

Si los pueblerinos aquí piensan que va el dueño de Atlético de Madrid sin entender su inversión, ni los términos, ni el lenguaje, es su problema. También hay datos que nadie ha querido comentar, que el equipo dueño de At Ottawa puede pagar directamente dos jugadores sin que cuentan contra el salary cap. Lo que sugiere que pueden prestar dos jugadores en nómina, asumiendo el salario entero el club madre.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

This whole forum lives on rumour and inference!

True, but if you just plug the exact quote into any translator, you'll see the source is not infering anything, it is a straight up answer and no one from the CPL contingent reacts because they don't understand him. 

I found it hilarious he spilled the secret, and I think he did it deliberately. A lot of Atlético fans are critical of this investment with the typical "better spend the money on the first team, it needs it most" arguments. Atletico does not even have a lock on a Champions spot for next year. So suggesting the CPL is not overly pricey for Atlético Madrid takes some of that pressure off back home.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wrong. And also a bit racist, since you seem to think a statement made in Spanish does not have credence.

An accidental leak doesn't have 100 % credence. Compare that with the commish stating it and canpl website writing it up which would be 100 % credence. Ok, less than 100 % for all the cynical people out there. For instance, the leaked statement is not going to clarify what is included and not included in the cap, or if it's currently not yet finalized and still under discussion.

Yes, I get that this forum is full of rumour and innuendo. Just trying to point out how we stray at times.  ... I could of picked a better example than this of being way off base.

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

An accidental leak doesn't have 100 % credence. Compare that with the commish stating it and canpl website writing it up which would be 100 % credence. Ok, less than 100 % for all the cynical people out there. For instance, the leaked statement is not going to clarify what is included and not included in the cap, or if it's currently not yet finalized and still under discussion.

Yes, I get that this forum is full of rumour and innuendo. Just trying to point out how we stray at times.  ... I could of picked a better example than this of being way off base.

You still don't understand that Spanish is a language humans communicate in rather competently. Gil Marín is probably the highest level football executive to ever show interest in Canada, and you are backtracking like a coward. The answer was not an accident, it was a clear, grammatically correct, precise response that stated that the cap was 750 thousand gross, before taxes.

I'm blocking you, thankfully this site has the option.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:28 PM, CanSuffer said:

An accidental leak doesn't have 100 % credence.

Actually sometimes a leak is more credible than official statements which are "massaged" or "spun" until they bear little resemblance to the truth.

The leak aligns with every other source and unless you are suggesting it was purposeful misdirection - which seems unlikely given the circumstances - it stands as the best information we have. Arguing about it at this point is just silly, and UT is right, it makes you sound racist because it's not in English.

Edited by ted
spelling error

Just another reason as to why CanPL salaries would be in Canadian dollars: It insulates the clubs from the exchange rate fluctuations that bedevil most Canadian teams playing in mostly american leagues. Remember when the USD was at par with the CAD? I heard MLSE bought up $1billion USD to provide a cushion for future price fluctuations for the Leafs and Raptors.

• 11 months later...

Canadian Premier League offers first look at its bottom line

The league says this season each team will operate with a $1.2-million salary cap, which covers both players and coaching/technical staff.

Player spending must fall between $650,000 and $850,000 while the coach/technical range is between $350,000 and $550,000. Combined, the two must fall under $1.2 million.

The cap includes salaries, housing and travel allowances and individual player bonuses but not "league or club accomplishment bonuses." The league says, on average, the salary cap accounts for some 57 per cent of team revenue — and could reach some 70 per cent factoring in bonuses.

The league says, on average, it takes more $4 million a year to run a CPL team.

There will be a minimum player salary of $22,000 in 2021, which including other compensation is expected to reach $26,000.

The league says it had a "target" minimum salary in the past but is now "raising and codifying it."

The minimum does not cover those on U-Sports contracts, who play during the summer while not at school. Clanachan said those deals would be in the range of $10,000 to $12,000.

Options on player contracts come with 15 per cent raises on average, according to the league.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-premier-league-offers-first-200032560.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANryBSTUC-qUbOMnZTXXI7HxODBsBI3G0laBEtxupUhuSbHV7Kjo40loqLgmxQKXe4c2JicEDKZyJzhjShzpeSxwzBSnbdLUogtELnTGl3qSrPJl_ChUvuEvhj3oYTPC7sJjrX6txTu6Ofaqo3rh5Wv4ci6UxLjzy19Yn9cLM4K0

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

In TFC's firs year the development contract minimum was $12,500 USD and the senior minimum was $31,000USD. in 15 seasons it has obviously gone up quite a bit. This is good to hear and as the league grows salaries will go up. 

Clap-clap-clap-clap.

Not bad.  Not too bad at all.  The ceiling and floor will grow, I don't doubt that, but considering the world we've been living in these last 12-14 months it's all right.  

As much solidarity as (I suspect) exitsted between the teams in 2019 when it came to holding a low line on player salaries, all things being so unknown at the time, you just knew it wouldn't take too long for that fellowship to fall apart.  I'm sure trust amongst the organizations on that matter had long ago evaporated.  Which is of course good.

League is clearly alert enought to the potential image problem.  They very much needed to be.  

Devil is always in the details though, isn't it?  Still fuzzy how the salaries of on-loan players work into this.  How much of a cap hit would Valour, for example, take against Dunn and Pantemis?  Limiting the number of players you can take on loan will go a long way in limiting how much impact such moves have on the cap but still, curious. 

Acceptable.  The teams should be able to juggle the costs against needs a bit with those numbers.  

P. S.  Selfishly,  best part of the article for your's truly.  THAT is encouraging.  There has to be an expectation that fans will be in the grandstands if not at the beginning of the season then certainly sooner rather than later. 😁

The league has yet to release its 2021 schedule, but is targeting the Victoria Day weekend (May 22-24) for kickoff. The hope is some fans will be allowed in.

Great to see the transparency coming to light, and the increase in the minimum. Hopefully this isn't just a one off and we continue to get transparency going forward. Maybe even drafts that aren't planned out in advance, like this year's where a team picked in the wrong order, but nobody cared because it's not like the team that got bumped forward surprised anyone with their pick.

This news today does make me feel better about the league for sure. Well done. We all want growth. Once fans are able to go to games, growth in fan attendance, growth in online/TV numbers, growth in salaries, growth in number of teams, and yes, growth in transparency.