Gold Cup 2019

2 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Replaced with Adam Striath potentially

The CSA said that Adam Straith would be training with the team as a 24th man. Orlando played on the weekend, so maybe he just hasn't arrived yet.

Edit: I just realized that his teammate Miller is already there. Odd.

Edited by Jith12

1 minute ago, hamiltonfan said:

Seems like that’s it. Bring on Will ‘the rock’ Johnson ! 

On second though my theory is actually pretty unlikely given that his Orlando teammate Kamal Miller has already joined the squad. Hopefully it isn't an injury.

Love to see Scotty holding the guys' attention in the one shot. For me, despite Hutch's proven leadership, Arfield is the captain of this team.  The great news is that we've got several leaders on this team, all with different styles.  Borjan, Hutch, and Arfield are key leaders, but so is Henry for the back line.  Lots of good pieces coming together for this team. 

23 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Love to see Scotty holding the guys' attention in the one shot. For me, despite Hutch's proven leadership, Arfield is the captain of this team.  The great news is that we've got several leaders on this team, all with different styles.  Borjan, Hutch, and Arfield are key leaders, but so is Henry for the back line.  Lots of good pieces coming together for this team. 

Thanks to the incline on the beach, Okello looks like he's about 7 foot 9 in that particular photo.

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Decent squad, but it is clear they are still in transition. Cummings, Cooper, Torres, Godoy, Gomez, Machado, Quintero are all part of the old guard. All of these players are +30 if I recall correctly.

They do have some younger, promising players, most of which are domestic or based in leagues like Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Bolivia, Colombia 1st 2nd divisions, etc. A few are in Spain, but in the lower levels. Interestingly, they have a right back and left back who played for the runner up in the Slovakian top flight. 

The total number of MLS players is 5. 

On paper, it looks to be a team that could cause problems. There are still holdovers with World Cup experience. However, I would rate us higher at this point (on paper). 

Comparatively, we have:

- an 18 year old who actually played (albeit sparingly) at Bayern Munich

- a 19 year old who scored 12 league goals for Gent (higher level club and league than any Panama player),

- another 19 year old who saw the field 13 times (scoring once) in half a season with the 3rd place SPL team

- an "in their prime" starting striker in Liga MX who scored 11 goals

- 12 MLS players

- players who represent Besiktas, Rangers, Red Star Belgrade, Hearts.

For the first time in several cycles, our program is in better shape than their program.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Decent squad, but it is clear they are still in transition. Cummings, Cooper, Torres, Godoy, Gomez, Machado, Quintero are all part of the old guard. All of these players are +30 if I recall correctly.

They do have some younger, promising players, most of which are domestic or based in leagues like Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Bolivia, Colombia 1st 2nd divisions, etc. A few are in Spain, but in the lower levels. Interestingly, they have a right back and left back who played for the runner up in the Slovakian top flight. 

The total number of MLS players is 5. 

On paper, it looks to be a team that could cause problems. There are still holdovers with World Cup experience. However, I would rate us higher at this point (on paper). 

Comparatively, we have:

- an 18 year old who actually played (albeit sparingly) at Bayern Munich

- a 19 year old who scored 12 league goals for Gent (higher level club and league than any Panama player),

- another 19 year old who saw the field 13 times (scoring once) in half a season with the 3rd place SPL team

- an "in their prime" starting striker in Liga MX who scored 11 goals

- 12 MLS players

- players who represent Besiktas, Rangers, Red Star Belgrade, Hearts.

For the first time in several cycles, our program is in better shape than their program.

For me the big question is: Do we have a manager tactically capable of leading this team to success? I feel he has all the other tools, but I worry about his tactical experience. We do not yet have a national style of play, some sort of system that all young footballers in this country learn and can easily execute when they put on the red and white. I know Devos and Herdman and the CSA want us to get to that point, but in the meantime we need a manager who can convey and nurture a game plan, and then nimbly switch tactics when necessary. We'll start to see if The Sizzle has got what it takes during this tournie.

12 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

For me the big question is: Do we have a manager tactically capable of leading this team to success? I feel he has all the other tools, but I worry about his tactical experience. We do not yet have a national style of play, some sort of system that all young footballers in this country learn and can easily execute when they put on the red and white. I know Devos and Herdman and the CSA want us to get to that point, but in the meantime we need a manager who can convey and nurture a game plan, and then nimbly switch tactics when necessary. We'll start to see if The Sizzle has got what it takes during this tournie.

Totally agree that is the big question and we may get some early answers in this Gold Cup, because the opponents will be closer to our level.

Not that I consider him a tactical genius or anything, but I feel better with Biello involved. Between the two of them, we should be fine as far as the tactics go, so I remain optimistic!

For what it's worth, the players have repeatedly said Herdman is big on the details, though I get the sense that's referring to the mental side of the game.

The players also said that Floro was a "details" guy, so clearly it doesnt guarantee success (just to play devil's advocate).

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

An issue magnified by how few games we have played in the past year versus other teams that are favourites or darkhorses. We have a squad that looks more impressive club wise on paper but their greater familiarity with each other would still give them the advantage. Our team (at least in terms of the majority of the players who comprise it) hasn't learned yet to win big games where we face some adversity - probably the last time we won such a game was the 1-0 win over Honduras in Vancouver for qualifying last time round. So doing so is vital for us in this tourney

17 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Our team (at least in terms of the majority of the players who comprise it) hasn't learned yet to win big games where we face some adversity.

This is crucial.  For this Gold Cup I'm looking to see who has the stones for it, either individually or as a collective.  I have been very critical of the program's ability to handle adversity when getting hyped up prior to a key match or tourney (and this was before 1-8 in San Pedro Sula).  Regardless of the pedigree of the players, I'm not sure what to expect this time around. 

Edited by BearcatSA