Gold Cup 2019

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is there really much of a drop off with our "B" squad? Talent wise the squad is very homogeneous.

The real drop off between players is in experience, not talent:

Hutchinson-Kaye or Kaye-Hutchinson, you don't gain or lose much talent either way.

Hoilett-David or David-Hoilett, I don't think it matters.

In other instances, both players have comparable experience AND talent:

Arfield-Johnson, Johnson-Arfield

Osorio-Teibert, Teibert-Osorio

Larin-Cavallini, Cavallini-Larin

Davies-Millar, Millar-Davies

Not saying these pairs are exactly equal, but there really isn't much of a drop off. Really, there isn't. If we want to play the supposed "B" options against Mexico, I am still confident. It just means we have stronger weapons off the bench. 

I have to disagree on Arfield-Johnson, Osorio-Teibert, and Davies-Millar. Those talent levels are noticeably different imo. Cavallini-Larin is weird because Larin could easily be better but he's clearly not due to form.

I agree that generally, the difference between our A and B line ups is not as pronounced as it once was.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is there really much of a drop off with our "B" squad? Talent wise the squad is very homogeneous.

The real drop off between players is in experience, not talent:

Hutchinson-Kaye or Kaye-Hutchinson, you don't gain or lose much talent either way.

Hoilett-David or David-Hoilett, I don't think it matters.

In other instances, both players have comparable experience AND talent:

Arfield-Johnson, Johnson-Arfield

Osorio-Teibert, Teibert-Osorio

Larin-Cavallini, Cavallini-Larin

Davies-Millar, Millar-Davies

Not saying these pairs are exactly equal, but there really isn't much of a drop off. Really, there isn't. If we want to play the supposed "B" options against Mexico, I am still confident. It just means we have stronger weapons off the bench. 

Err... theres quite a significant drop in quality when going from Arfield to Johnson, or Davies to Millar.. wtf

@El Diego @LeoH037 Saying there's a significant drop off between Davies and Millar is like saying there's a significant drop off between Mbappe and Dembele...Technically you are right, but my point is that both are solid options.

(Note: I am not saying Davies/Millar are Mbappe/Dembele)

In the past, we would typically have one option we could throw out against Mexico (if we were lucky), while the bench option would simply not cut it. 

Things have now changed. Honestly, I would not hesitate to start Millar against Mexico. If he can play against Celtic and be one of the best players on the park, why not against Mexico? They aren't Brazil, especially not this particular Mexico side.

The same goes for Arfield and Johnson. Yes, Arfield is clearly better. It was a stretch to say there's not a significant drop off, admittedly. What I should have said there is that both options can hold their own against this Mexico team.

Obviously Johnson is the weaker option, but we won't exactly get embarrassed with him out on the field, right? Remember, he started our last WCQ against Mexico. He's not going to lose us the game out there.

My main point in all of this is that I don't think we need to play our strongest line up against Mexico, because we have good enough bench options to allow us to rotate. We need to rotate in the group stage anyways. In the past, we couldn't do this, but now we can, so let's take advantage of our depth in the one group stage game we don't have to win.

The knock out rounds are the time to play all of your best players at once.

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@El Diego @LeoH037 Saying there's a significant drop off between Davies and Millar is like saying there's a significant drop off between Mbappe and Dembele...Technically you are right, but my point is that both are solid options.

(Note: I am not saying Davies/Millar are Mbappe/Dembele)

In the past, we would typically have one option we could throw out against Mexico (if we were lucky), while the bench option would simply not cut it. 

Things have now changed. Honestly, I would not hesitate to start Millar against Mexico. If he can play against Celtic and be one of the best players on the park, why not against Mexico? They aren't Brazil, especially not this particular Mexico side.

The same goes for Arfield and Johnson. Yes, Arfield is clearly better. It was a stretch to say there's not a significant drop off, admittedly. What I should have said there is that both options can hold their own against this Mexico team.

Obviously Johnson is the weaker option, but we won't exactly get embarrassed with him out on the field, right? Remember, he started our last WCQ against Mexico. He's not going to lose us the game out there.

My main point in all of this is that I don't think we need to play our strongest line up against Mexico, because we have good enough bench options to allow us to rotate. We need to rotate in the group stage anyways. In the past, we couldn't do this, but now we can, so let's take advantage of our depth in the one group stage game we don't have to win.

The knock out rounds are the time to play all of your best players at once.

First we gonna get into the knock out rounds. 

I’m really not  convince Hutchison should be playing CB. He should in the   Midfield With Arfield. I’m really excited about out young CB’s  Cornelius and Miller. Hutch doesn’t need to play a full game, also you could put Arfield, hutch and Piette together to help the young CB’s. 

Mexcio better watch out, because I see a huge upset here ! 

Jamaica has announced a squad of 23 for their friendly against the US:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/03/jamaica-call-five-mlsers-squad-face-usmnt

Despite the addition of Leon Bailey, going by Herdman's methodology of looking at where the clubs are, on paper we shouldn't be losing to these guys in this Cup as we have done the past two times. Should we meet them of course.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/03/jamaica-call-five-mlsers-squad-face-usmnt

Despite the addition of Leon Bailey, going by Herdman's methodology of looking at where the clubs are, on paper we shouldn't be losing to these guys in this Cup as we have done the past two times. Should we meet them of course.

We can only meet them in the final so very unlikely but they could definitely give the USA a run.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Both Tyler Adams & Christian Pulisic are not included in the squad to face Jamaica but are apparently set to join up with USA after the friendly.  For a minute there I thought both were excluded in the Gold Cup squad.

40 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We can only meet them in the final so very unlikely but they could definitely give the USA a run.

Out of the 23 they have half a dozen good players but then after that quality really drops off. 7 USL players, 5 Jamaican league players, 1 Norwegian second division, 1 Swedish Second Division

8 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Out of the 23 they have half a dozen good players but then after that quality really drops off. 7 USL players, 5 Jamaican league players, 1 Norwegian second division, 1 Swedish Second Division

Yeah definitely but I’m not going to write off a team that has made the last 2 finals and added a once in a lifetime player. 

Also the friendly roster isn’t exactly the same as the gold cup fwiw. 

18 minutes ago, king1010 said:

5 years ago most or all of these players would have been in MLS and not USL. That is a testament to the growth of the league. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

5 years ago most or all of these players would have been in MLS and not USL. That is a testament to the growth of the league. 

Converse that with our direction...

We have a domestic league and two Canucks who aren’t in our Gold Cup squad are in the MLS TOTW... oh and we’ve left off a (captied) player attached to Barcelona.

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Converse that with our direction...

We have a domestic league and two Canucks who aren’t in our Gold Cup squad are in the MLS TOTW... oh and we’ve left off a (captied) player attached to Barcelona.

Only 1 according to Canada Soccer.

Glad they decided to have camp in L.A rather than Alliston, ON (North of Toronto), the friendly vs T&T one week from today (10th) and the first match vs Martinique on the 15th gives the team a good enough time to train together and prepare well 12 days prior to competition 

All the MLS/Liga MX Based guys (13 of 23) are already there, the European (10) little later

Once we have everyone at camp will be excellent, hopefully CSA does a good way of updating us day to day 

Tomorrow trainings should start with majority of the players!  

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Pre-GC friendly less than a week away now.

I've been looking for a confirmation for this game but haven't found anything. Couldn't see it on the CSA calendar....

Is there some kind of confirmation?

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Did the rules for squad release only apply to Canada? I notice we’re seemingly the only team to release our 23 man.  It was due yesterday, no?

Not sure what due date is for the 23 man roster, but according to Wikipedia at least Bermuda & El Salvador have released their 23 man rosters as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup_squads

Mexico's squad is down to 27 while my guess is Jamaica's team will be very close to, if not the same as their friendly with the US (I'm guessing 23 of their 28 man squad for that match tomorrow will be the final team).

58 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure what due date is for the 23 man roster, but according to Wikipedia at least Bermuda & El Salvador have released their 23 man rosters as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup_squads

Mexico's squad is down to 27 while my guess is Jamaica's team will be very close to, if not the same as their friendly with the US (I'm guessing 23 of their 28 man squad for that match tomorrow will be the final team).

I'd say 21. Pulisic and Adams aren't on the team.

3 hours ago, aloyol said:

I've been looking for a confirmation for this game but haven't found anything. Couldn't see it on the CSA calendar....

Is there some kind of confirmation?

I saw on Twitter a Trinidad feed again posted about it yesterday.  To be at LA Coliseum on the 10th.

not sure why there is no mention?  You would think they would want to scream it from a mountain and get the monkey off their backs.  But no one cares in the media so no need.. they could cancel it tomorrow and no one would be the wiser.