Gold Cup 2019

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

US are getting owned by Venezuela. They are a shadow of their former selves. 

Might be time to recognize that we've caught up, dare I say on the verge of surpassing them.

The last few games they had were bitter crap...but more so...vintage Canada playing style

We can't make any conclusions like that, particularly if our catching up is based upon somebody else allegedly regressing.

24 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We can't make any conclusions like that, particularly if our catching up is based upon somebody else allegedly regressing.

We're better upfront and midfield in my opinion. Defense is where we're weaker. 

We're in good hands with Borjan and Crepeau in goals. 

There's no creativity at midfield and they are caught chasing and reacting. Sure Pulisic provides an upgrade but you neutralize him and you can win. Question is if our midfield can dictate the pace against them (Arfield, Hutchinson, Osorio can) and if our defense can stop their offense ( this is the question mark)

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

US are getting owned by Venezuela. They are a shadow of their former selves. 

Might be time to recognize that we've caught up, dare I say on the verge of surpassing them.

The last few games they had were bitter crap...but more so...vintage Canada playing style

I wouldn't say that, we've still yet to prove we can dispatch hex level CONCACAF competition

Yeah I have major qualms with people insinuating Canada is at the same level as the US. We haven't won sh!t in nearly 20 years, haven't qualified for a World Cup in over 3 decades, haven't proven anything. Time/results could change this, but as of right now the US is still a level up from Canada as far as I'm concerned.

We might look good "on paper", but how often has Canada looked good on paper only to underachieve? Am I the only one who remembers we had the 'Best midfield in CONCACAF©' and what did that get us?

13 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Yeah I have major qualms with people insinuating Canada is at the same level as the US. We haven't won sh!t in nearly 20 years, haven't qualified for a World Cup in over 3 decades, haven't proven anything. Time/results could change this, but as of right now the US is still a level up from Canada as far as I'm concerned.

We might look good "on paper", but how often has Canada looked good on paper only to underachieve? Am I the only one who remembers we had the 'Best midfield in CONCACAF©' and what did that get us?

I'm not talking about their overall program, just comparing tactics and the way they play. Their quality has dropped noticeably, that's a fact.

Edited by Ansem

How about we prove we're actually in their league and worthy of a rivalry with them before we start saying we're better.  Make at least a Gold Cup semis and look good against Mexico, get at least a split with US in Nation's League, qualify for the next World Cup, then we can talk about possibly being better.  Comments like this coming out of such a history of failure just make us look a little silly IMO.

Gosh... some people are talking like they are I invincible. If you reread my message "caught up" doesn't mean surpassed as a whole.

It's my opinion that our best XI is better than theirs except defense with the players they called up.

But to say that we haven't caught up is not factual. We can compete and we'd give them problems

Edited by Ansem

34 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Gosh... some people are talking like they are I invincible. If you reread my message "caught up" doesn't mean surpassed as a whole.

It's my opinion that our best XI is better than theirs except defense with the players they called up.

But to say that we haven't caught up is not factual. We can compete and we'd give them problems

We havent caught up to them. When we start consistently qualifying for the world cup and making gold cup finals then we have. Until then we havent. 

Lol to you saying “we havent caught up to them” isnt factual. 

What facts presented show we’ve caught up to them? The US losing in experimental friendlies and our above average roster for concacaf standards paper roster. 

Edited by king1010

28 minutes ago, king1010 said:

We havent caught up to them. When we start consistently qualifying for the world cup and making gold cup finals then we have. Until then we havent. 

Lol to you saying “we havent caught up to them” isnt factual. 

What facts presented show we’ve caught up to them? The US losing in experimental friendlies and our above average roster for concacaf standards paper roster. 

We'll talk post Gold Cup then and looking forward to Nations League. 

Don't know why it's so taboo to say that we can not only compete but win. Our attack is better (no Sargent or Weah at this GC).

Our midfield is better in my opinion.

Defense is not as good as theirs and our keeper is better.

Coaching....jury is out on this one but I don't think Herdman's any worse with what the USMNT has at the moment. You don't see adjustments or change of tactics. Arena wasn't great but at least you saw some kind of attempt at adapting and adjusting. 

Ps: Let's pretend that their last WCQ & loss to T&T C team didn't happen 

Edited by Ansem

20 minutes ago, RS said:

Are you basing this on the bevvy of friendlies we've just played?

Comparing upcoming Gold Cup rosters. 

Individual performance from our players at both club and country level. 

Coherence and style of play.

--------

Individual performances from US players at club and NT level. You should see how USMNT supporters are tearing that team apart.

The roster they picked. Bot calling Tim Weah or Sargent is really puzzling

They have been a disorganized messed this year in the friendlies that I've watch. No coherence, no organization, a mess. 

Their own analysts are being critical and waking up to the fact that they are perhaps a good CONCACAF team, not great but just good. I really don't know where this aura of invincibility comes from but they've been steadily declining since the last WCQ.

I simply see then for what they've become, a good CONCACAF team...not great but good. Just agreeing with analysts from south of the border

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Comparing upcoming Gold Cup rosters. 

Individual performance from our players at both club and country level. 

Coherence and style of play.

--------

Individual performances from US players at club and NT level. You should see how USMNT supporters are tearing that team apart.

The roster they picked. Bot calling Tim Weah or Sargent is really puzzling

They have been a disorganized messed this year in the friendlies that I've watch. No coherence, no organization, a mess. 

Their own analysts are being critical and waking up to the fact that they are perhaps a good CONCACAF team, not great but just good. I really don't know where this aura of invincibility comes from but they've been steadily declining since the last WCQ.

I simply see then for what they've become, a good CONCACAF team...not great but good. Just agreeing with analysts from south of the border

While I won't say Canada has caught up till we prove it on the pitch, there seems to some people on this forum who haven't been paying attention to the decline in the USMNT. 

Post not qualifying for the WC, the supporters base thought Bradley & Jozy could be shunned aside. Now it's dawning on them, they actually don't have anybody to replace them yet. They have a lost generation of players between about 23-28. They have some prospects but so far players like Sargent & Weah aren't producing regularly at the club level and haven't shown much when playing for the senior national team. Their German American pipeline has dried up as they have incurred injuries, are getting old or have pissed off US Soccer. They wasted a year dilly dallying on a manager and ended up with an uninspiring choice. 

So unlike in the past 25 years, the gap has stopped widening and in the past 3 years, it has started to narrow on paper.