The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Alvaro Odriozola from Real Madrid seems close to joining Bayern..  Not sure if this will have any impact on Alphonso, especially given his performances over recent months.  However, Kimmich would likely continue to play in the midfield but it could be possible that they move Lucas Hernandez back in at CB potentially pushing out Alaba.

17 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Alvaro Odriozola from Real Madrid seems close to joining Bayern..  Not sure if this will have any impact on Alphonso, especially given his performances over recent months.  However, Kimmich would likely continue to play in the midfield but it could be possible that they move Lucas Hernandez back in at CB potentially pushing out Alaba.

I follow Bayern and the way Davies is playing, it'll be Hernandez, Alaba and Boateng in the mix for the 2 CB positions.

36 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He would likely be depth behind Pavard, but you never know how these things will go. Hernandez was supposed to be depth for CB and/or challenge Alaba for LB. Now Hernandez is injured, Alaba is at CB and Davies is the starter at LB!

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He would likely be depth behind Pavard, but you never know how these things will go. Hernandez was supposed to be depth for CB and/or challenge Alaba for LB. Now Hernandez is injured, Alaba is at CB and Davies is the starter at LB!

I agree.  Odriozola is going to have to earn that right back position first and foremost.  It's so hard to predict Bayern defense as the whole backline is all over the place. 

Davies is listed as a winger has become the regular LB.  Alaba their previous LB has become one of their starting CB's.  Lucas Hernandez more commonly a CB has become their starting RB.  Kimmich originally a RB has become an everyday midfielder.  Javi Martinez formerly a defensive midfielder for Bilbao and regular CB backup for Bayern has become a starter.  Boateng once considered one of the best CB's in the world has been in decline.  Sule clearly a starting CB before his long term injury.

10 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

This stretch has given Davies the opportunity to prove he belongs out there. If he does lose his spot, it's hard to see him not being the first sub off the bench.

He was even one of the first off the bench under Kovac. Hard to imagine he would slip down the pecking order much further, if at all.

The tools Davies has are just insane. Plus he is learning the game all the time. I think that combination will keep him in the team, whether it be full back or winger.

5 hours ago, Corazon said:

For what it’s worth, I know most Bayern fans say he’s been their best defender since he’s been starting, some even claiming him as a top 3 left back out of the big 5 leagues

Odriozola is a right back. He is in Munich today and is going on a loaned, in any case, not bought.

Reading as.com, they say the deal gives them right back cover, allows Kimmich to play forward, and move Pavard into a CB position with the injuries they have right now.

So that deal would not affect Alphonse.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Odriozola is a right back. He is in Munich today and is going on a loaned, in any case, not bought.

Reading as.com, they say the deal gives them right back cover, allows Kimmich to play forward, and move Pavard into a CB position with the injuries they have right now.

So that deal would not affect Alphonse.

I think the connection is that with Hernandez moving back to CB, it potentially leaves David Alaba without a position.  Although very versatile, he has been Bayern's LB for nearly a decade.  So there is a potential conflict.  However, like many on here have suggested, Davies has been so good of late that it seems hard to imagine him losing his role.  Because Davies has been playing so good they have moved Alaba to CB for the past several months.  If it's not Alaba who gets bumped from CB, its either Martinez or Boateng or both.

5 hours ago, Corazon said:

I think the connection is that with Hernandez moving back to CB, it potentially leaves David Alaba without a position.  Although very versatile, he has been Bayern's LB for nearly a decade.  So there is a potential conflict.  However, like many on here have suggested, Davies has been so good of late that it seems hard to imagine him losing his role.  Because Davies has been playing so good they have moved Alaba to CB for the past several months.  If it's not Alaba who gets bumped from CB, its either Martinez or Boateng or both.

Thank goodness for Davies good old Canadian attitude. Judging by his social he seems to have endeared himself to a lot of his teammates.

also to Alaba’s credit, I really think he took Davies under his wing

First time watching Davies with Bayern in a while. 25 minutes in he's looking really good. Had some good run up field with some key passes and obviously making some strong defensive challenges. 

He's already had a couple times where he's cut in and made a run a several Schalke defenders. 

Also of note, Bayern are playing 3 at the back and it's accommodating both Davies and Alaba with Phonzy getting a bit further up. 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Had another decent game today. I watched most of it and he was his usual self. He has firmly integrated himself in the starting line up at this point. 

Finished with 8.6 match rating on whoscored, 2nd highest on Bayern.

Watched 30 mins myself, he played really well with a key pass and a great run that made the commentator happy. Tried to do a little too much though on that run and gave it away

I watched most of the game, I thought he had a real tidy match, some nice runs and crosses, he always seems to get in good positions to receive the ball and his teammates recognize this, he briefly was playing in a centre forward position which was odd for a left wingback, I think it was encouraged by the manager! One of the best plays he made was a strong recovering run where he won the ball from the attacker, the fans really appreciated that and let out a huge roar!

As I was walking by a mall, in one cell phone booth, they had a small screen which was airing the game, albeit for a bit in TSN as part of bonus coverage I guess and managed to saw a play from him, where he put in a good run & cross that Lewandowski either mishandled or missed... Can't recall 100 %...... Was a good play whatsoever by our lad !!!!! 

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/1/25/21081641/match-observations-analysis-bayern-munich-schalke-04-bundesliga-alphonso-davies-robert-lewandowski 

Here's the piece I loved reading:

"When Bayern signed Davies, there was genuine (and justified) concern among many that the Canadian wouldn’t be able to find his footing at such a massive club. Was he good enough offensively to play in the attacking midfield? Was he good enough defensively to play at left-back? Would he forever languish as a tweener that wasn’t good enough to play regularly at either position?

Well, I’m here to tell you right now, that when Hansi Flick has a full roster at his disposal, Davies cannot find his way back to the bench."