The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I know we all know this but I will say it anyways...

What I love about Davies is that he is very skillful, has good technique, and has world class athleticism. That is such a deadly combination and it is very rare for a player to have all 3.

Not only that, but he has such a fantastic attitude. He is humble and wants to learn and this is surely why every time he steps up a level he figures it out.

His soccer IQ is not "off the charts", like Jonathan David, but it's high enough that when you factor in his coachability/attitude, the result is that he makes the right decision more often than not.

Making the right decision is easier when the game is in front of you, which is why I believe he has thrived at LB for Bayern.

The next step is for him to make better decisions in the final 3rd. I think it will naturally come in a few years. As he continues to train and develop alongside these world class players, the game will start to slow down closer to goal.

Once he figures that out I think Bayern will begin to play him further up the field. I predict that slowly, but surely, he will evolve from a left back into an all-around dominant world class left-sided player. Sometimes we will see him at left back, sometimes we will be see him left wing, but always he will be on the field. As the article says, he cannot find his way back to the bench. He will ultimately become undropable, if he is not already.

Until then we should all enjoy his incredible rise as a left back at one of the best clubs in the world!

Edited by Obinna

Commenting on @Obinna above and others. I've watched quite a bit of them this year, try to almost every week if I can, and a few things I see that are positive, and a few little details to improve.

First, being back where he is he not hacked and rarely is subject to hard tackles. As a wing it was habitual, as we have seen at Canada, and at Caps, so I think that might help him avoid injury.

Then, I see they give him freedom, and he interprets it carefully. He goes forward but not a lot, and does not always take on defenders, and does not abuse his speed. They have him pacing himself. Another reason why he is more consistent, and probably a bettter defender. 

Related to the above, since he does not have to push forward a lot, we have not really seen his stuff in attack, it is all rather subdued. I don't mind this--as said, it'll emerge eventually, he'll get his chance.

What I see about his play that could improve. He has an overly long control and/or dribble when he tries to take someone on. Sometimes it is a first touch. He overextends the play and loses control of the ball. This also happens when he accelerates to set up a give and go, for example, he can rush a pass and gets caught out. I think with his speed, here too, he needs to keep it close and safe, and let the speed do the talking with the ball under control.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I watch Bayern games regularly since Davies became a starter.  At the beginning, back in the fall, all the attacks from the back went almost entirely up the right side, with Pavard and Gnabry.  I didn't think Parvard was particularly effective but Gnabry was by far their most dangerous wing option.

Any balls that went to Davies seemed almost an afterthought and he played strictly safe passes back or square to recycle the attack.  Now, many more attacks work their way up the left flank through Davies.  It also helps that Percic is playing much better.  As well, you often find Davies tucked much more inside, away from the sideline, allowing him more options when he has the ball.

Edited by Snowcrash

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

From any sort of realistic perspective, this year couldn't have gone much better.  Sure, he could have theoretically started every game, banged in 30 goals and blah blah blah.  But at his age, at this club, the fact that he has done what he has done is completely astounding.    

Put another way, it wouldn't have been realistic for someone to think it would go as well as it has!

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

^Agreed. But I do wonder, does he get a chance at winger/mid anytime soon?

I think it depends with how Lucas Hernandez fits in once fit and how much Bayern are willing to tinker with their backline. 

Of course the wing positions are a factor as well. Perisic is playing better,(as someone noted) and Gnabry is back. Muller can slot in there as well.

I would give it a 10 percent chance we see him get a run into the team at wing this season. Maybe a game here or there, but I think it's pretty much fullback from here until the season concludes.

Edited by Obinna

Alphonso Davies has the potential to emerge as a top 5 in the world LB within the next couple of years. I don't understand the panic from so many here to sabotage that by constantly crying out for a return to the wing. He can be the best LB in the world for Bayern and still play as a dominant winger, in CONCACAF terms, for Canada.

9 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

^Agreed. But I do wonder, does he get a chance at winger/mid anytime soon?

^This is what I said

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Alphonso Davies has the potential to emerge as a top 5 in the world LB within the next couple of years. I don't understand the panic from so many here to sabotage that by constantly crying out for a return to the wing. He can be the best LB in the world for Bayern and still play as a dominant winger, in CONCACAF terms, for Canada.

^ and you read that as "panic", "crying", and a desire to "sabotage" him?

LOL come on.

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Herdman should just play a 3-5-2 to utilize him further of the pitch. Richie on the right would be better I believe in a 3-5-2 as well. 

------henry-vitoria-miller-----

Laryea-arfield-piette-kaye-davies

----------david------cav----------

I think this could theoretically work. Due to his play at Bayern lately I am more open to this idea than before, but I still have reservations...

If we are to play this way, Davies must somehow be the focus of attack. He (along with David) is our strongest player. If things don't go through him we just waste his talent. 

Davies will undoubtedly dominate as a left wing back and win the majority of his defensive and offensive battles, but during a turnover there will be space in behind. Is that a trade off we are willing to make?

Turnovers can and will happen and good teams will exploit them, that is a fact. 

My view is that it is more responsible to play Davies at LB if we are going to play him back there at all (still not my preference btw).

There are defensive responsibilities that come first and foremost at LB. That is true at Bayern and it is true with Canada.

Davies can be the best player on the field for Canada at LB, but he will not be the focus of the attack in that position.

If we had a world class team I would be all for Davies to play at LB or LWB, because he has world class potential at both positions. 

At this time though we are not World Class, so we need Davies up front or as a winger, where he is not burdened by defensive responsibility.

9 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Herdman should just play a 3-5-2 to utilize him further of the pitch. Richie on the right would be better I believe in a 3-5-2 as well. 

------henry-vitoria-miller-----

Laryea-arfield-piette-kaye-davies

----------david------cav----------

Agree with obinna but this formation does make sense on paper and I'd still like to see them experiment with it in the coming year

If you read the Bayern forums, both the English forums as well as the translated German forums, the consensus seems to be that Davies has cemented himself as the starting LB and the team needs to juggle players like Alaba, Boateng, Pavard and Hernandez to fit around Davies. 

Whether or not the coaches see it that way, it's still mind boggling that it's even a discussion point considering where Davies was on the team pecking order just six months ago.

Edited by Snowcrash

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

If you read the Bayern forums, both the English forums as well as the translated German forums, the consensus seems to be that Davies has cemented himself as the starting LB and the team needs to juggle players like Alaba, Boateng, Pavard and Hernandez to fit around Davies. 

Whether or not the coaches see it that way, it's still mind boggling that it's even a discussion point considering where Davies was on the team pecking order just six months ago.

It's absolutely ridiculous when you consider not long ago we were talking about where he could get loaned out if he wasn't getting enough playing time playing behind these great players. He put in the work and has impressed. Deserves every minute and every bit of praise 

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Although I love his TikTok page, there are a few videos I would recommend he take down for extremely inappropriate audio.  I'm surprised his sponsors or the club haven't mentioned it to him already.

What do you consider extremely in appropriate ? I’ve watched most of his Tik Toks and wouldn’t consider any of them extremely inappropriate.