The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

53 minutes ago, costarg said:

Yes, absolutely, that was a great game, and the best example of what you're suggesting.  I just feel we can do even better with Cavallini on the field instead of Osorio.  

1- Cavallini is a better offensive threat than Osorio.

2- Cavallini works harder up top without possession, in a defensive sense breaking up plays before they happen than Osorio does.

3- I'm not saying Davies should play LB, but he has soo much more to offer than what we saw in that one game vs USA. I've caught a couple of Davies games with Bayern since we beat the USA.  He terrorizes the left side, every inch of it. I prefer to see him play as a winger or even wing-bank,  He'll have more space, stretch the opponents, making space for David and Cavallini at the same time. 

That trident would be a ridiculous show of speed, muscle and skill.  CONCACAF wouldn't recognize Canada.

I really like Cavallini and I agree with your analysis of him compared to Osorio. It’s natural that Lucas is more of an offensive threat because he is a forward. I agree with 1 and 2.

As for your third point, my first thought is to say: Bayern aren’t Canada. I know that you know, but it must be said. Why must it be said? Because soccer is a team game. How Davies fits into the team and even how he sees himself in the team are important.

Case in point: At Bayern he is transforming into a valuable player, not THE most valuable player, which is how he rightfully sees himself with Canada. This makes playing Davies at wing back or full back ....problematic. 

On the wing in a 4-3-3 with David and Cavallini is definitely something I can get behind. We can also play David in the middle and Junior out wide. I like that we can throw out different looks, but Davies at wing back should not be one of them, unless we are playing a weaker team. Then maybe it is something to consider. Maybe.

Against teams near or at our level I think Davies as a wing back or fullback is just too problematic for the reasons stated above (and all the good points others have made). Yes, in theory he should rip people apart in concacaf because he already does it in the Bundesliga. We already saw him against Haiti and down in Orlando, beating players with ease. That’s only half the story though. The other half of the story are all the defensive mistakes he makes. Whether it’s losing the ball or defensive positioning, we are exposed without having players dependable enough to clean up after him. This has cost us before and I don’t want it to cost us again.

At least when it comes to losing the ball, I think some of it comes down to patterns of play (or lack thereof, I should say). If you watch Bayern you can see the pattern of play is for Davies to pass to the winger and then underlap to receive the return pass. Can we do this consistently at the international level? During the short international window can we perfect this? Ask a USMNT fan what they think of Greg Berhalter’s patterns of play...

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Yes! Davies has put together a pretty impressive body of work as a LB. I need more than two unsurprising results to convince me that all of his coaches have been wrong to play him there

Bayern and to a lesser extent Vancouver had good reasons to play him at LB. Not saying they were wrong to do so.

I guess we’ll have to see how the experiment goes for Canada. Knowing Herman we haven’t seen the last of it (to my annoyance).

Edited by Obinna

An article from a couple days ago giving an extensive breakdown of his play against Leipzig.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadians-abroad-bayerns-alphonso-davies-showing-promise-left-back/

Apparently this is going to be an ongoing series, new article every 2 weeks. It also makes mention of a few other canucks abroad at the bottom.

He was playing a 1 2  with Gnabry down near the corner and the defender broke it up by punting it down field which resulted in the counter so what are you going to do.

I have to be honest it wasnt his best outing the energy was off and he didn't have that typical joy. Not sure what's up but I'm a little concerned with how badly Bayern is steam rolling the competition. The game was strange from about 60 minutes on with The oppents just kinda sitting super deep. Phonzie was constantly so far up the pitch he was basically tripping over his own players and him and Gnabry has some awkward interplay. I'm really looking forward to  Champions league play and I think this game reinforces the therapeutic aspect of playing Phonzie as an attacking player for Canada. I think playing for Canada as a winger/forward can serve has some comfort food for Phonzie 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

He was playing a 1 2  with Gnabry down near the corner and the defender broke it up by punting it down field which resulted in the counter so what are you going to do.

I have to be honest it wasnt his best outing the energy was off and he didn't have that typical joy. Not sure what's up but I'm a little concerned with how badly Bayern is steam rolling the competition. The game was strange from about 60 minutes on with The oppents just kinda sitting super deep. Phonzie was constantly so far up the pitch he was basically tripping over his own players and him and Gnabry has some awkward interplay. I'm really looking forward to  Champions league play and I think this game reinforces the therapeutic aspect of playing Phonzie as an attacking player for Canada. I think playing for Canada as a winger/forward can serve has some comfort food for Phonzie 

It looked a bit weird but I actually think Bayern are playing 3 in the back when in possession and 4 when the opponents have the ball (a la Netherlands in the WC). Watch for it next game and we'll see.

Also very much looking forward to Bayern vs Chelsea (Davies vs Pulisic)

Just finished watching the reply on Sportsnet. Yes, not his best game but definitely not a bad game from him. I agree he didn't have the same desire on the defensive end, but the game was won 12 minutes in and he is probably playing on a tapped ankle. Not an excuse but I think those factors must be mentioned.

Alaba and Boetang and on occasion Pavard got into a few tangly situations as well, but the game was wide open and free flowing. I expect the whole team to be tighter in Champions League.

Edited by Obinna

Apologies if already posted but even so it's probably worth looking at again 😊:

Left-back: Alphonso Davies (Bayern München)

Okay, okay. Sure. This is cheating, technically. A Bayern sensation should not be making the No-Name All-Star Squad. But (A) Davies was originally an attacker when Bayern brought him in as the next wonder talent, and (B) just please take a look at his radar. It’s not normal to have such an impact, at such a big club, at such a young age.

Alphonso-Davies-1.-Bundesliga-2019_2020.

Source: https://statsbomb.com/2020/02/the-bundesligas-no-name-all-stars/

21 hours ago, Yoginess said:

It looked a bit weird but I actually think Bayern are playing 3 in the back when in possession and 4 when the opponents have the ball (a la Netherlands in the WC). Watch for it next game and we'll see.

Also very much looking forward to Bayern vs Chelsea (Davies vs Pulisic)

I've notice that formation ever since Davies broke out.  When he was first starting, he played nowhere near as high when Bayern was attacking.  Back then, most of the offensive forays went through the right side with Pavard and Gnabry.  Every time the ball was switched to the left, Davies played it square or played a back pass to Alaba to reset.  Now, I think Davies has the green light when Bayern has the ball.  He roams deep inside the opponent's half, all the way to the box.  Gnabry isn't a black hole like Robben but there were plenty of overlapping runs Davies made that were ignored by Gnabry who chosed to take it inside himself.

14 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

I've notice that formation ever since Davies broke out.  When he was first starting, he played nowhere near as high when Bayern was attacking.  Back then, most of the offensive forays went through the right side with Pavard and Gnabry.  Every time the ball was switched to the left, Davies played it square or played a back pass to Alaba to reset.  Now, I think Davies has the green light when Bayern has the ball.  He roams deep inside the opponent's half, all the way to the box.  Gnabry isn't a black hole like Robben but there were plenty of overlapping runs Davies made that were ignored by Gnabry who chosed to take it inside himself.

This is true, he is allowed to keep pressuring up high if he's the only one, and stay up on an attacking play if he's naturally progressed into the final third. Other players simply cover for him, so he does it without fear.

On the other hand, his attacking effectivity when doing this is pretty low.

4 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Not a great game by Davies (or the entire Bayern team) against the worst team in the league. Did get a secondary assist on the game winning goal. 

Davies was playing WAY up the pitch today as a wingback.

Yeah, just saw the extended highlights.  They certainly have changed to the way they use him as he has grown in confidence.  Not sure if they are going to want to dial that back a little against better opposition. 

I will say him being up there meant he did have a hand (or foot) in the pressure that led to the first as goal as well.