The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

40 minutes ago, Reign said:

Haha I don’t see a big issue here. Is someone going to watch this and decide “Nope. That’s it I’m not buying those new Nikes” I highly doubt it.

Underestimate the outrage/grievance industry at your peril.   Personally I don't care but why take the risk.  The song is not a hill worth dying on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Lil-allah-gay-nigga-hot-nigga-parody-lyrics

Apparently he had a good game today because on reddit, one fan said “Davies is the player we wanted Sanches to be”. It had a lot of likes

I only caught 15 mins, but he made a good interception and run during that time

Edited by Guest

40 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Apparently he had a good game today because on reddit, one fan said “Davies is the player we wanted Sanches to be”. It had a lot of likes

I only caught 15 mins, but he made a good interception and run during that time

Bayern fans on Twitter are ranting and raving about Phonzies game today. “MOTM” “World class” just some of the comments. One even questioned how none of the big clubs in Europe had him on their radar, followed by a joke of them being scared away by the “Canadians live in Igloos” stereotype. Lots of love for our boy!!

8 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Bayern fans on Twitter are ranting and raving about Phonzies game today. “MOTM” “World class” just some of the comments. One even questioned how none of the big clubs in Europe had him on their radar, followed by a joke of them being scared away by the “Canadians live in Igloos” stereotype. Lots of love for our boy!!

I watched full highlights. He has a cross early in low from the left that was put in on an own goal, 1-1. Later, his run led to a corner that gave Lewandowski the 4-1. He had a play trying to dribble the whole defence in the box. And other attacking plays down the left, crosses.

Defending the danger seemed mostly down the other side, though Hoffenheim did have lots of chances and both sides were sloppy defensively (it ended 4-3), with apparently no midfield control. He had his typical plays where he looked apparently beat and came back to cleanly snatch the ball back, he has long quick legs and is quite a clean tackler. 

An extremely lively game, with goals called back on both sides, crossbars, keeper saves, a bit of a shootout.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:45 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Defending the danger seemed mostly down the other side, though Hoffenheim did have lots of chances and both sides were sloppy defensively (it ended 4-3), with apparently no midfield control.

I watched the second half.  Maybe a compliment to him but I thought Hoffenheim specifically attacked the other side and had success there (neither Pavard nor Boateng had a great game and the new Spanish kid was finding his feet.) 

I guess the point is that even in a newish position, he was one of the more solid bits of a  back line that had its wobbles.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Watching Bayern vs RB right now. Davies is just too quick, whenever he gets in trouble defensively, either his fault or being put there by teamates most of the time, he is just too quick for the attackers and always gets the first touch on the ball and manages to clear it or more often, draw a foul. His feet are just a half second quicker than everyone else on the pitch. Its also amazing how much space he can give attackers, he never needs to get to close and potentially get tied up or caught out, he knows he has the quickness and pace to be able to stay off them a bit. 

25 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Him and Laryea teamed up gives Canada the best set of FB in CONCACAF.  

Whoa...Laryea needs to do way more for me than to put them in that convo so soon. I get what Davies is doing but Laryea is a part time MLSer at this point. Hopefully he steps up but US has Dest / Yedlin/ Adams and Mexico has a ton of good options like Gallardo too.

So when is the Toronto Sports Network gonna get on board? Or is it time for CFL free agent frenzy, women's basketball qualifying for the Olympics 3 days ago or the 9th Raptors feature of the day. Surely Kristan Jack can write another overly critical article filled with backhanded compliments

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Whoa...Laryea needs to do way more for me than to put them in that convo so soon. I get what Davies is doing but Laryea is a part time MLSer at this point. Hopefully he steps up but US has Dest / Yedlin/ Adams and Mexico has a ton of good options like Gallardo too.

Agree with that and also think Davies needs to be in an attacking role for Canada.  Bayern is light years ahead of Concacaf competition and Davies would be wasted in a LB role for Canada given how we play and the level of other players on Canadian roster (i.e. way lower than Bayern level).

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So when is the Toronto Sports Network gonna get on board? Or is it time for CFL free agent frenzy, women's basketball qualifying for the Olympics 3 days ago or the 9th Raptors feature of the day. Surely Kristan Jack can write another overly critical article filled with backhanded compliments

It could be worse.. Sportsnet, who has the Bundesliga rights, is showing a dog show today 

9 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It could be worse.. Sportsnet, who has the Bundesliga rights, is showing a dog show today 

Or how about acknowledging Alphonso Davies exists. Was in Toronto for work and a couple Liverpool fans went on about how they're the greatest team in the world for 30 minutes. I said I haven't been watching much epl lately just mainly Bayern because of Davies and they didn't know what i was talking about. I thought wow the bubble is real. I told them keep watching Champions League after Liverpool are eliminated and they'll surely know who Alphonso Davies is by then