The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Phonzie is expected to arrive in Edmonton Sunday after Bayern's match and  spend the evening and most of Monday of his homecoming at the family’s Northeast Edmonton home before joining his team to prepare to play before a projected combined crowd expected to total more than 100,000 for his first two games at Commonwealth Stadium. The team will train Tuesday - Thursday ahead of the Costa Rica match. 

The pressure on him to get a goal will be enormous.   Not to mention the distractions and other demands on his time because the focus will be on him only.     He may want to do too much on the pitch and the opposition will pick up on it.   I hope the locales realize that in soccer you could have an awsome game and be a man of the match without scoring a goal.

14 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The pressure on him to get a goal will be enormous.   Not to mention the distractions and other demands on his time because the focus will be on him only.     He may want to do too much on the pitch and the opposition will pick up on it.   I hope the locales realize that in soccer you could have an awsome game and be a man of the match without scoring a goal.

I think we have to presume that this won't be most people's first time ever watching  football match, no?

56 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think we have to presume that this won't be most people's first time ever watching  football match, no?

Actually, yes i do.  With the way the local media in edmonton have been going on an all out blitz to hype up the event to max to sell this thing out,  you have have to think that you will get a very large contingent who have a far less than 100% understanding of the game.  

There is a podcast of a sports radio show that i listen to regularly from Edmonton,  the host has been on mission to do everything he can to ensure a sell out.  He had been talking about the games everyday leading up to when the tickets went on sale and until the sell.  All credit to him,  plus he really knows and follows out MNt and thats a good thing.  This is one of the good things about Edmonton and playing there,  there is a sence of community and people (including the media) wanting this thing to succeed and make the community look good.   Unfortunately,  In this regard, Toronto is not like that when it comes to soccer.  

Edited by Free kick

Asked about his favourite soccer memory growing up in his hometown of Edmonton, Alphonso Davies smiled.

"Just being a kid, playing football with my friends ... And now here I am playing with the national team in my hometown," he said. "It's just going to feel like I'm back on the soccer pitch with the Edmonton Strikers and just having fun with some friends."

This is pretty exciting, the kids is coming home to play on the big stage !!

12 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

My bad if this was already mentioned but just caught Sportsnet's top 50 plays of the month for October and Davies' goal was number 1. Still gives me chills every time I see it. 

How could it not be, it was not only an all-world goal but an all-world save as he kept in play. That was just as important because without there is no goal, the whole thing was simply spectacular. Anyone in the stadium that night was lucky to see it with their own two eyes. 

12 hours ago, Cblake said:

Here is Thursday night's The National, the piece on Phonzie starts at the 25:35 min mark, check it out.

Reaction to, "and that brings Canada even CLOSER to qualifying for the World Cup" by the average Joe Shmoe Canadian catching this yesterday eve: 

Schitts Creek What GIF by CBC

Average Joe Shmoe after we win both in Edmonton:

dan levy comedy GIF by CBC