The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is it just me or does Sane really try to avoid passing to Davies in the final third?  It seems like he is always looking for any other option.  

I think you have something there, I have noticed watching this morning Phonzie at times is left hanging there. Hopefully that changes.

On 10/28/2021 at 3:46 PM, Kent said:

Mexico has been eliminated in the round of 16 in 7 straight World Cups. I think as long as they are ranked lower than 8th but higher than 17th you can't really complain either way about their ranking.

Yes.  Here are the Concacaf teams that have advance from grp stage in the last 7 WC’s and the furtherest they went. 

2018 (Russia)……..Mex (R16)

2014 (Brazil)……….Mex (R16)…..US (R16)…..CRC (1/4)

2010 (S. Afr)……….Mex (R16)…..US (R16)

2006 (Germany)…Mex (R16)

2002 (Jpn/S.Kor)..Mex (R16)…..US (1\4)

1998 (France)…….Mex (R16)

1994 (US)…………..Mex (R16)…..US (R16)

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  Here are the Concacaf teams have advance from grp stage the last 5 WC’s and the furtherest they went. 

2018 (Russia)……..Mex (R16)…..

2014 (Brazil)……….Mex (R16)…..US (R16)…..CRC (1/4)

2010 (S. Afr)……….Mex (R16)…..US (R16)

2006 (Germany)…Mex (R16)

2002 (Jpn/S.Kor)..Mex (R16)…..US (1\4)

Mexico is the team to beat in the region and while both Canada US have played them well of late, they are a team you strive to be in the region. A stronger November and will Canada will get closer to going that, but the rankings are not the only way to judge their gains. 

Kind of off topic from Alphonso, but that offside call on Union, to me that’ should be a good goal. I’d rather see it like hockey where you can drag your skate on the blue line.  If part of your body is lined up with the last defender still but you have a step, too bad for the defender.  That’s a rule change I’d like to see anyway 

13 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Kind of off topic from Alphonso, but that offside call on Union, to me that’ should be a good goal. I’d rather see it like hockey where you can drag your skate on the blue line.  If part of your body is lined up with the last defender still but you have a step, too bad for the defender.  That’s a rule change I’d like to see anyway 

I am sure more than a few thought it was a good goal, the commentators suggested the same too. 

15 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Not sure I agree.  A lot of strikers are faster than opposing defenders - if you let them drag a clear to stay onside while the rest of them is already starting a run, I think it would be a nightmare for defences.  It is even possible that it changes the nature of play.   Holding a high line would be more risky, and lots of teams would be tempted to simply lobbing it over the top more frequently.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure I agree.  A lot of strikers are faster than opposing defenders - if you let them drag a clear to stay onside while the rest of them is already starting a run, I think it would be a nightmare for defences.  It is even possible that it changes the nature of play.   Holding a high line would be more risky, and lots of teams would be tempted to simply lobbing it over the top more frequently.  

I’ve played sweeper for years.  I hear ya.  But back lines get the majority of calls and nobody truly goes to watch a 0-0, 1-0 game.  There’s nothing more enjoyable at any sporting match than offensive chances, goals, buckets, touchdowns, etc.  Teams will adjust like they always do defensively.  They did when the rule changed to when it was from the kick.  They’d adjust here too.  I’m certain of that 

This is going to be super-picky (and probably silly) but I wonder if Davies’ role with Bayern will impact ultimately his ability to excel in attack.  In defence, it seems like he is often caught higher up the field than most LB’s and is forced to race back towards his own goal.  And on offence, it seems like he is only involved some of them time (understandably) and thus isn’t fully integrated into the attack.  

I get that this two-way role adds another dimension to Bayern’s attack when he jumps up into the play (and that I assess this issue through a Canadian-centric lens), but I hope that his versatility on the left side with Bayern doesn’t dull his attacking abilities over time.  As ridiculous as it sounds, part of me thinks it could be better to have him somewhere else  (at another elite club obviously) playing as a pure attacker.  

Probably all just ridiculous speculation on my part on a day where Davies is going the distance in yet another win for one of the biggest clubs in the world.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is going to be super-picky (and probably silly) but I wonder if Davies’ role with Bayern will impact ultimately his ability to excel in attack.  In defence, it seems like he is often caught higher up the field than most LB’s and is forced to race back towards his own goal.  And on offence, it seems like he is only involved some of them time (understandably) and thus isn’t fully integrated into the attack.  

I get that this two-way role adds another dimension to Bayern’s attack when he jumps up into the play (and that I assess this issue through a Canadian-centric lens), but I hope that his versatility on the left side with Bayern doesn’t dull his attacking abilities over time.  As ridiculous as it sounds, part of me thinks it could be better to have him somewhere else  (at another elite club obviously) playing as a pure attacker.  

Probably all just ridiculous speculation on my part on a day where Davies is going the distance in yet another win for one of the biggest clubs in the world.  

Wonder if this will be the reason he eventually leaves

What i have wondered several times is:  he will be sold eventually.  Probably within the next two to three years.  But i wonder what club or what league will he end up in.  

I would think England would be a natural fit because there is more emphasis there on pace and direct play. And the big clubs there have the $$$ because of the TV rights deals.    But many RM star players dont get transferred to the Prem..  But then again Maybe Spain because he would be good 1v1 and alot of BM stars do end up at Real Madrid.  Barca is in no position to spend.  The big Italian clubs dont appeared to be anymore the big spended as they use to be in in the transfer Market.  Pretty soon, the list of clubs who could afford him will get very small.  Where do you go from Bayern?  Mostly it seems to be RM. 

The list of potential future suiters is down to maybe half dozen clubs (or less) in the world.

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I thought he was off again today. His touch and passed weren't great. His mam scored the 2nd goal. However, he had the highest rating by far on whoscored of anyone that didn't score.

In fairness on the second goal, that is an extremely difficult play to defend and he had two guys in his immediate zone that he had to consider.  

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

What i have wondered several times is:  he will be sold eventually.  Probably within the next two to three years.  But i wonder what club or what league will he end up in.  

I would think England would be a natural fit because there is more emphasis there on pace and direct play. And the big clubs there have the $$$ because of the TV rights deals.    But many RM star players dont get transferred to the Prem..

The list of potential future suiters is down to maybe half dozen clubs (or less) in the world.

Thiago is one that just went and has slotted in well, Liverpool could have used him today.  I remember Schweinsteiger (because he tackled our keeper to win Man U a cup game)  and Hojbjerg spend some time there in his development, I think.  From that you would say they help develop tough, smart midfielders. 

For Davies, to play as a defender, he would need to go to a Liverpool or City, where the attack, press and recovery is more important than positional defending (Arnold, Cancelo, Walker are not world class at the latter, in my opinion).  Bayern have the advantage that they try and mostly succeed at blowing away most teams they face.  Less teams you can do that to in the Premier League, again in my opinion. So might not be the best fit for other sides.

He could slot in at wing on most teams and maybe that is where his career goes if he leaves. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

In fairness on the second goal, that is an extremely difficult play to defend and he had two guys in his immediate zone that he had to consider.  

I agree.  And Sule has to stop that cross, he has the angle and the physical advantage,

But apart from that moment, and a couple other loose passes, I thought Davies did pretty great.  Constant threat on the left side with his speed and dribbles.  It was his set-up of Sane that led to the first goal.  Nagelsmann really likes him high up the pitch and it suits him well. 

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is it just me or does Sane really try to avoid passing to Davies in the final third?  It seems like he is always looking for any other option.  

No, Sane's decision-making is somewhere between 30 - 40% in my opinion - as in, usually wrong.  But I've also seen that no matter where he plays (right or left side), he rarely picks out the fullback on the overlap.  In order of preference, his approach is: 1) Take the shot (50%); 2) Slip a pass to someone making a run in the middle (30%); 3) Back pass (20%); 4) Alphonso who?

5 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I thought he was off again today. His touch and passed weren't great. His mam scored the 2nd goal. However, he had the highest rating by far on whoscored of anyone that didn't score

Der Kaiser: Alphonso Davies

The Canadian defender recovered from his abysmal performance in a shocking 5:0 defeat from Borussia Monchengladbach. Davies was solid today, even though Bayern conceded twice. Davies contributed a lot to Bayern’s attacks with his usual pacey runs on the left flank. He was stable when defending and didn’t make any major errors today. His passing was really good today, and it’s obvious that he’s learned a few things after the early Pokal exit, as he made 91% of his attempted passes.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2021/10/30/22754198/bayern-munich-match-awards-union-berlin-analysis-thomas-muller-lewandowski-davies-sane-bundesliga

On 10/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, king1010 said:

Random thought. Why doesnt the bundesliga expand to a 20 team division? Sure would have helped Schalke last year. 

Because the logic was a smaller top flight was higher quality and had less filler. That since up to 6-8 had European competition and most had internationals, there was too much pressure on players (fixture congestion). 

The contrary position mostly has to do with letting more teams share the economic spoils of a top flight. 

I think there were UEFA attempts to shrink divisions, think that was over 15 years ago. There may still be regulations. 

Objectively with Bundesliga 2 also 18 teams, it is the most competitive D2 in the world, you could argue. But that's another (though related) question. 

Alphonso Davies at the press conference:
"I am enjoying my time at Bayern, it's one of the best clubs in the world. I see my future here, I focus from day to day and then we'll see what happens.
Nagelsmann has a different mentality. I am satisfied and can show my qualities. For me it is a learning process to learn the new tactic. It also suits me with the way I play. I am happy that I can show what I am capable of. I am very happy that he is back again on the bench, we have missed him.
Against Gladbach, something like that can happen. But we are strong in defense, we have loud leaders at the back. Our defense is strong and will get even better. I'm glad I'm back and can help the team.
It's not always easy as a defender. We conceded a lot of goals, but we also scored a lot. We know we're a good team. We have to find the right balance, as we did before. Of course we don't want to concede goals, that's what we aim to do every time."