Saskatoon CanPL

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

This image certainly looks promising. We might be ushering in CPL 2.0 with this one. 

Screenshot_20220607-144545_Facebook.jpg

Yep, knew I'd seen it. It's used as a stock photo on the Canada Rugby League website:

http://www.canadarugbyleague.com/get-involved/the-game/ 

(obviously one of the two has had its pitch markings doctored)

Edit: might be Old Trafford, pre-roof reno

Edited by Tigers

Just got back from the presser. It surpassed my expectations for sure. As mentioned I'm not a fan of non enclosed stadiums but this site would be absolutely stunning. 

It will also be used for Rugby, potentially Lacross and cricket too, although they might just build a cricket pitch elsewhere on the grounds as it wouldn't work in the stadium. 

20220607_163846.jpg.78dd4d0697940edd4dfd6754b5ebd02d.jpg

Big turn out of people, over 200 I would think. BIG job is convincing members of the council now. They meet on June 13th. There are councilors against (maybe due to horse racing ties? I'm not sure.. it's a no brainer) I don't think the amount they are asking for is unreasonable considering what this city spends on other things. The major obstacles are people pushing to move the hockey arena downtown. That's $374m in a downtown with zero infrastructure to cope with it. This stadium is around the 30m mark. 

Big job swaying those against.

Edited by toontownman

Think they were starting at 5-7k with potential to grow over time.

The owner mentioned it took him 3 minutes to drive from the centre of downtown to the stadium. It's about a 20-25 minute walk back along the river to city center but is attached the Circle drive, the majory ring road in the city so it's as accessible as it comes. Tons of parking, easy bus route downtown and potential for river ferries.

Looks like Prarireland is tossing in $2 million and "hundreds of thousands of dollars in staff support

Big Al is throwing another $2 million for the stadium.

Total stadium cost is only $28 million. 5500 capacity.

CPL as early as 2024.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskatoon-s-planned-soccer-stadium-has-team-lined-up-would-host-concerts-1.5937080

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm in. Where do I sign?

https://lsse.ca/support-marquis-downs/  the more support the better, wherever anyone comes from!

Couple of other tidbits. 

- As in the video they will be giving 100k of the yearly revenue back the the city each year.

- While Al Simpson is putting 2m of his money into it, he is not claiming any ownership of the ground/land. He is donating that to Prairieland/city. 

- They have worked with the Rugby Association to ensure the stadium meets code to be able to host national and international Rugby.

There are a few councilors apparently dead set against it. From what I have been told it's around a 50/50 split with a couple on the fence. I am not sure why four or so are opposing, maybe they were connected to the horse racing and believe turning it down might force it back. It won't, it was losing Prairieland significant money each year. There is also a new racecourse owned by moosimin first nation hopefully being built just outside the city. Prairieland is donating all the equipment and racecourse parts to them. That will take time though. 

People just don't understand the scope of pathways soccer creates. They don't realise how many leagues there are, concacaf champions league potential etc. and also don't understand why the team couldn't play at the university or Gordie Howe Football field. It's simply not an option for scheduling or cooperation with stitched in lines or removing goals. They won't accommodate. Lots of misnomers and myths to dispel and potentially people not interested in listening. 

I was hugely impressed today though. The presentations did their homework and it was very professional. I've seen MLS events and franchise launches worse than this. Prairieland was a stunning setting and the turn out was great. The tie in with the Cricket and Rugby associations is smart, likewise a very passionate speaker from Sask Tourism. 

Fingers crossed but it needs more public support and noise which is hard.

21 hours ago, toontownman said:

Think they were starting at 5-7k with potential to grow over time.

The owner mentioned it took him 3 minutes to drive from the centre of downtown to the stadium. It's about a 20-25 minute walk back along the river to city center but is attached the Circle drive, the majory ring road in the city so it's as accessible as it comes. Tons of parking, easy bus route downtown and potential for river ferries.

When discussing distances between Point A and Point B, where either Point A or B is a sporting/concert venue, it is standard practice to express said distance in beer. For example, what you wanted to say here was, "the stadium is a 1-2 traveler walk from town." Please don't make me tell you this again. 😉 

https://www.cjme.com/2022/06/09/could-regina-be-next-for-a-soccer-specific-stadium/?fbclid=IwAR2JvwaksIkz816UcCPvfhqCmAcg7fUUhoYRwWW2aYbfM6tBx9Z7V4uMJAE#.YqNaFhQ2c7Y.facebook

“Living Sky Sports & Entertainment was awarded the exclusive rights to launch professional soccer in Saskatchewan. That meant either Saskatoon or Regina or both,” Simpson explained.

“With Regina being involved, it would be much of the same as Saskatoon — to make a commitment to a soccer-ready stadium up to FIFA and CPL standards. Once that is done, I think Regina would be a great location for a CPL franchise.”

According to Al Simpson