Saskatoon CanPL

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hard not to believe infastructure handicaps expansion in too many markets.  No investor wants to see their war chest emptied out of the gate because they need to finance a building. 

And just the matter of getting things built!  Locations, consultations, impractical time lines.  Shifting to alternative locations.  Construction inflation.  Blah, blah, blah.   

And just proposing your building idea is expensive.   Expensive enough that you're not going into the effort unless you're pretty damned sure it's going to be acceptable to all concerned.

Ug.  What a business.        

• 1 month later...

Not sounding too upbeat unfortunately:

...The president of Living Sky Sports and Entertainment (LSSE) struck an agreement with the Canadian Premier League, the country's top flight of professional soccer, awarding exclusive expansion rights to the province. The only problem is no up-to-standards soccer stadium.

"Well, our issue in Saskatoon isn't really so much fan support. The big hurdle for us right now is to have the City of Saskatoon participate in the project," Simpson said.

"We've had many meetings, we've had numerous discussions, but nothing that would take us to what I would call that level of discernible public interest in trying to get a project done," Simpson said...

18 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not sounding too upbeat unfortunately:

...The president of Living Sky Sports and Entertainment (LSSE) struck an agreement with the Canadian Premier League, the country's top flight of professional soccer, awarding exclusive expansion rights to the province. The only problem is no up-to-standards soccer stadium.

"Well, our issue in Saskatoon isn't really so much fan support. The big hurdle for us right now is to have the City of Saskatoon participate in the project," Simpson said.

"We've had many meetings, we've had numerous discussions, but nothing that would take us to what I would call that level of discernible public interest in trying to get a project done," Simpson said...

Interesting words and use of words. It has not been presented publicly or officially to the City Council as far as I am aware. Until that happens there can't be a yes/no or commitment. They would need a proposal and then councillors will have to vote on it. Maybe the ownership believes a proposal would get voted down at this stage? I am not sure what can change at this point if there is no interest. There will never be a team in Saskatoon if it doesn't happen now.

The Prairieland Park spot and their partnership is the best possible site in the city for the lowest possible cost commitment, an overall projected cost of $21m for the stadium is absolutely nothing in comparison to the new library build and recent Rider stadium. I don't know what they are asking from the city, maybe a quarter of the overall cost or 5-8m and the same from the province, that is what was implied a year ago? Building fresh somewhere else will at least double that cost. Canadian Soccer couldn't be at a higher point in the public eye and clearly showing signs of exponential growth. If they don't see the value now they never will. Maybe the Ownership feels the council are cognizant of another expense coming out of the pandemic and are biding their time pulling the trigger. There will always be other projects though be it concert halls, moving the CUC downtown or whatever else comes to the table. Maybe they are asking for more than they are putting in themselves? who knows. Either way there is surely a fast approaching shit or get off the pot moment for everyone as far as Saskatoon is concerned. It will go to Regina otherwise.

^ Or they could just go the Halifax route where, if I recall correctly, the team spent about $4 million of its own money and got the stadium built.  No need for the city at all (aside from a building permit).  They can always talk to the city about a $20 million stadium after they've proven they can fill the one they built themselves.  I imagine their reception at city hall would be warmer.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

^ Or they could just go the Halifax route where, if I recall correctly, the team spent about $4 million of its own money and got the stadium built.  No need for the city at all (aside from a building permit)...

Are Saskatchewan and Windsor entry not both conditional on a stadium deal rather than a popup, while Vancouver/Fraser Valley has fewer strings attached? Halifax's popup is also only supposed to be a stopgap solution to a permanent stadium and is not viewed as being sustainable longterm.

The City of Halifax provided a prime piece of real estate for the popup so they still had an important role in what unfolded and my understanding is that CanPL are hoping that the Wanderers Grounds get handed over by the city council for something permanent.

Around the same time the popup was unfolding in Halifax, Regina could have been a contender but their city council didn't go for Joe Belan's concept of retrofitting the old Taylor Field for pro soccer. My understanding is a local school board also didn't go along with what Barry MacLean and K-W United had in mind with a well located package of land to have a Kitchener team in for the launch. Things don't always fall neatly into place with the local politicians like they did in Langford.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Are Saskatchewan and Windsor entry not both conditional on a stadium deal rather than a popup, while Vancouver/Fraser Valley has fewer strings attached? Halifax's popup is also only supposed to be a stopgap solution to a permanent stadium and is not viewed as being sustainable longterm.

I don't know the stadium conditions for any of the bids.

I imagine Halifax (and anyone else) would eventually want a "real" stadium.  Halifax's popup seems to be working really well for them, however.  It will probably age more quickly than a permanent stadium but I could see the long term plan for a permanent stadium truly being pretty long term.

25 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The City of Halifax provided a prime piece of real estate for the popup so they still had an important role in what unfolded and my understanding is that CanPL are hoping that the Wanderers Grounds get handed over by the city council for something permanent.

True, the city did allow the Wanderers to use the land.  (I think it was a three year deal to start?)  So you're right, there was that help from the city.

I can also see the CPL and Wanderers hoping the city gives them a good deal to make in permanent.  Who wouldn't hope that in their place?  But if the city does that, it will be because they see a history of Haligonians packing the stadium, proving the viability of the team, and generating meaningful economic activity for the city.  It won't be, "We have a nifty power point presentation showing that soccer is a sure thing in Saskatoon so give us $20 million for a stadium."

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

A little bump for Saskatoon.  Calgary helping to win over some SK fans.  

https://rodpedersen.com/monday-commentary-we-need-this/?fbclid=IwAR01TxOphSM5ODKNdeHcVXyK0MNI7hz_Bx81plmnlcEvkE3ViFL57KisEa0

What's this guy's story? Sounds like he was likely a soccer hater in the past (assuming he is a sports guy) but his experience over the weekend has converted him? Is this guy popular? A powerful voice?

Think he is a reasonably big name in the SK sports scene. Has 22k followers on twitter, less with 8-10k on Facebook and Instagram. His podcasts on youtube don't pull huge numbers but he is known. I know one of the Wheatpool members has worked pretty tirelessly to get soccer content on to his show over the past 2 or so years, it was laughed at but he and the other guys on his podcast have turned definitely and had reasonably consistent Soccer talk and guests which is exposing a pure CFL and Hockey crowd to soccer and normalizing it a bit more. 

Hopefully some news and the final rendering on the way with the next month or so. Then it's a matter of how much LSSE and Prairieland are demanding from the City and Province as to whether it goes further. I hope it is a reasonable amount if its a $21m stadium, I'd hope LSSE and Prairieland weren't expecting the Province/City of Sask to be stumping up more than 5/6m each. There is support to make this happen but the financial demands has to be reasonable imo. 

simpson wants the public side to pay the large majority...and we know that with what hes said in the media and what ppl around him have reported...thats basically why its not moving as it should...if he was willing to pay the large majority we would not be here

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

simpson wants the public side to pay the large majority...and we know that with what hes said in the media and what ppl around him have reported...thats basically why its not moving as it should...if he was willing to pay the large majority we would not be here

I haven't seen that said or written anywhere or by him but that was my feeling with why its so slow. There are lots of key figures onside from what I can tell and everything makes sense...so 2 + 2 = asking for an unreasonable amount of money from City/Province compared to what the ownership is putting in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else get this in their inbox?

You are invited to the following two events:
1. Stadium Unveiling and Press Conference
Living Sky Sports and Entertainment and Prairieland Park cordially invite you and a guest to join us for the official unveiling of the multi-purpose soccer stadium video and renderings.

Date: June 7, 2022
Time: 4:30 p.m.

Refreshments served.
RSVP by June 1st, 2022

If you would like to attend, please RSVP with the link below.

2. Meet and Greet
You and a guest are cordially invited to participate in a MEET and GREET with other soccer supporters and your City Councillor to talk about the importance of soccer in Saskatoon. The MEET and GREET will be held the week of June 14th at Prairieland Park, subject to your Councillor’s availability.

Date: TBD

Edited by m-g-williams

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

What is a multi purpose soccer stadium? Doesn't leave one hopeful for a nice grass surface...

I think the ownership have mentioned looking into both grass and artificial and have taken advice from other clubs experiences and the climate. I hope it's grass but I would be surprised if it is.

• 2 weeks later...