Saskatoon CanPL

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

This is unacceptable slander which cannot be allowed to stand! Rauter, while not necessarily a great football commentator, is a good sports commentator, in general, and seems to be a genuinely pleasant human being. Wheeler is the unwanted double threat of both being atrocious at his job and coming across as a massive cunt of a bloke. Give me Rauter and Leggat over Dobson and Forrest, and without question over Wheeler and Dunfield.

Having read this, I've reconsidered my opinion.  

I've never heard Rauter do anything other than footie and a minute or two of curling before I switched over to something even more exciting.  He's horrible at his job.  However, I did hear him interviewed once about the original Canadian Soccer League, and he did come across as, as you said, pleasant.  I just couldn't stand listening to him do CSL and national team games.   I also got tired of hearing Leggat call every cheating little fucker who was fouling our players during qualifying "a great little player."

I haven't heard much of Wheeler, so the amount of unpleasantness hasn't added up yet, but if I think about it, you get more bang for your buck with Wheeler if you're looking to be annoyed.  He is also rude, which Rauter certainly isn't.  

"Mo BEE LEE o.....YEEEEE-esssss" isn't any more annoying than "Oh Canada...Oh Baby."

So, in conclusion, I stand corrected.

I've said my peace many times in detail as to why I prefer enclosed stadiums.

There remains, IMO a romantic notion amongst N.American owners of having this big come one, come all, chilled out open plan game experience. Maybe that's just based on maximizing profit on attendance, food/drinks any other shenanigans they like putting on around the ground on match days. People seem to love the relaxed wander around the ground, set the kids loose environment over here, I'm still aclimatizing but its no different from something like Cricket i guess. 

I'm not saying it's wrong or right for our communities going open plan but it's always going to grind on me given what I grew up with and am conditioned to. When you are in the ground it's support for two sets of 45 minutes, no getting up mid game for beers, holding it in until half time for the toilet etc. No leaving early because you are getting soundly beaten. To me there is nothing better than the escape and full focus of an enclosed stadium and nothing like walking into it for the first time. If people are milling around, aren't focused on and dont care about the game it bleeds to the pitch. To me choosing that environment speaks volumes to the vision, ambition and ethos of the club. That said, I'm sure I'm out of touch, I'm getting older and more of a curmudgeon with each passing day 😀 whatever gets consistent crowds and keeps the league growing.

• 2 weeks later...

will ferrell anchorman GIF

Also for anyone intetested and that wants to support please join the teams chat for the Saskatoon stadium tonight at 7pm CST

Click on this direct link to the teams meeting.

Or if you don't trust me (I wouldn't either) you can go via the prairieland page if you scroll down to the online community meeting section. https://prairielandpark.com/soccer-stadium/

On 11/20/2022 at 11:51 PM, toontownman said:

I've said my peace many times in detail as to why I prefer enclosed stadiums.

There remains, IMO a romantic notion amongst N.American owners of having this big come one, come all, chilled out open plan game experience. Maybe that's just based on maximizing profit on attendance, food/drinks any other shenanigans they like putting on around the ground on match days. People seem to love the relaxed wander around the ground, set the kids loose environment over here, I'm still aclimatizing but its no different from something like Cricket i guess. 

I'm not saying it's wrong or right for our communities going open plan but it's always going to grind on me given what I grew up with and am conditioned to. When you are in the ground it's support for two sets of 45 minutes, no getting up mid game for beers, holding it in until half time for the toilet etc. No leaving early because you are getting soundly beaten. To me there is nothing better than the escape and full focus of an enclosed stadium and nothing like walking into it for the first time. If people are milling around, aren't focused on and dont care about the game it bleeds to the pitch. To me choosing that environment speaks volumes to the vision, ambition and ethos of the club. That said, I'm sure I'm out of touch, I'm getting older and more of a curmudgeon with each passing day 😀 whatever gets consistent crowds and keeps the league growing.

No you are not out of touch you are bang on, I went to a Europa qualifying game in Milan a few years ago Milan versus I think a Romanian team, 99 percent of the people did not move from their seats until half time , I had to get up and go to the bathroom during the game and I was the only one in there , go to any sporting event in North America and if you need to use the bathroom during the game you are in a lineup and will miss at least 15 minutes of the game . 

On 11/18/2022 at 8:32 AM, m-g-williams said:

Having TD Place as an open-ended stadium here in Ottawa, I'm honestly a big fan. Being able to have the enormous jumbotron at the one end and peering out at the rest of Lansdowne Park at the other makes the whole experience feel "bigger", somehow - there's less of a feeling of being boxed in. And not that I'd want a ton of people watching matches for free, but the open end does allow for maybe 50-100 people who are curious to peek in and see what the fuss is all about. I wouldn't exactly call it a key marketing tactic, but seeing as Praireland would also be in a re-developed park, it might help convert a few curious passers-by. 

Friends of mine who are more into gridiron have also told me that having the north and south side stands physically separated creates a pretty fun intra-stadium rivalry, with the fans in one stand playfully razzing those in the other. 

Yes because most people are not there for the actual game here in North America but because of the beer garden. There is a reason why most stadiums in actual real soccer countries are enclosed , because people are there to watch the game on the field not to enjoy the the skyline or the beer garden . You want a beer you go get one at the con session area in the stadium . The best stadiums in the world are enclosed as they should be but we are in Canada and must bow down to the pointy ball sport with open end stadiums. 

Basic update from the reasonably mundane info meeting.

- Still "aggressively" aiming for a 2024 start but they have to get shovels in the ground by next spring. That dependent on the city passing amendment plans for the use of the Prairieland grounds.

- This process is for the city to decide whether they allow the amendments to the land. It's open to the public to ask questions until January 2nd. Everything will then be passed to city councilors to have time to view and then a decision will be made (date undetermined as of now). If they proceed that is likely the point PL and LSSE would be asking for financial support from the city. No money has been given or granted by the city at this point. This amendment planning has been happening for over a year to this point. It's a long process. 

- There was a question on winter use and doming the pitch were discussed. PL are aware of domes and exploring that possibility for year round use. They have plans for the site to be active and used by the public all year round ex: water feature would likely be a skating rink in winter.

- The stadium plan is for 5800 seats. There are no plans to expand beyond that. If they wanted to they would have to go through the same amendment process. Not a surprise as that would be a long way down the line anyway.

- Possibility of a baseball ground adjacent to the soccer stadium in future phases that could home a baseball franchise.

- Artificial turf as expected, grass was looked at. Didn't mention if it would be a hybrid turf of any kind.

- No Al Simpson, although he might have been watching. There was the Prairie Land Director of facilities and operations talking and taking questions and the one of the city council planning directors.

I feel pretty positive, I doubt there is much issue getting the amendment passed but where it goes for the funding ask is the biggest hurdle coupled with how quickly decisions get made after the January 2nd deadline for public input. 

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess they were hoping to ride the wave of euphoria after a last 16 qualification with the timing of this meeting and 0 points out of 9 put a bit of a dampener on that.

Maybe, but I think the timing was a coincidence. It wasn't a big PR fest and there wasnt a forced agenda, it was a reporting of facts for public info. I think it's genuinely taken this long (over a year) to get to the point of a public consultation for the ammendment to the land. 

A big group of SK soccer supporters are in Qatar so I think if they wanted a big PR fest about soccer they would have planned it for when everyone is around and not in a teams call where you can't see how many attended or who was on the call.

The big push and plug will happen from PL and LSSE to the city council once the ammendment is passed. I see little evidence at this point as to why it wouldn't.

It is not going to hurt the application to the city. If they are smart LSSE will be a part of the potential women's team but I realize their pockets aren't also a bottomless pit. 

Will be interesting to see how the women's league schedules around the men's, especially if there are different ownership groups for each but I am sure there are reasonably painless solutions. Very exciting development and potential.

Just now, toontownman said:

It is not going to hurt the application to the city. If they are smart LSSE will be a part of the potential women's team but I realize their pockets aren't also a bottomless pit. 

Will be interesting to see how the women's league schedules around the men's, especially if there are different ownership groups for each but I am sure there are reasonably painless solutions. Very exciting development and potential.

The women's project is far enough down the road that it doesn't matter. You can state you are on board as a club to pressure for the stadium to get support. They'd be idiots at Saskatoon City Hall if they were to ask them to put up bonds as a guarantee for the women before approving funding for the stadium.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

"no money but wanna be involved" Belan vs "I got money but just putting a little" Simpson

Result: no cpl in sask in near future

I don't think it's that simple. Simpson asking for public funds for an infrastructure on land he won't own and that will benefit the city as well doesn't mean he can't put more. That's usually the MO for sports teams in North America.

Why volunteer 100% of the funds when there's a real chance you can split the bill?

Also, a lawsuit is one thing - making it stick is another thing entirely.

We shall see what rolls out but past the game over for dramatic effect, I don't see this derailing the PL/LSSE bid. It potentially doesn't make them look good and worse leaves them out of pocket. Don't believe it's going to stop plans or even effect council vote etc. Prairieland are in good standing and have long term credibility within the city/province/beyond.

We shall see though. Nothing is easy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 6:48 PM, Big_M said:

"no money but wanna be involved" Belan vs "I got money but just putting a little" Simpson

Result: no cpl in sask in near future

It seemed more like, "we're interested in trying a team if the city will put up all the real money for a stadium so there's very little risk to us".

Something like Halifax - owners willing to put up their own money for a less expensive, modular stadium - and there'd be a team in Saskatoon.

Hopefully an expansion team can still result somehow.

• 1 month later...