Saskatoon CanPL

• 2 weeks later...

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/regina-red-sox-pitch-plan-for-new-baseball-stadium-on-dewdney-ave-1.5378036

Living Sky Sports and Entertainment is working with the WCBL's Regina Red Sox in efforts towards building a 3500 seat stadium just north of downtown.  Costs estimated at 20 to 25 million depending on amenities. 

Edited by bugsey2k
Clarification on costs

On 4/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, bugsey2k said:

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/regina-red-sox-pitch-plan-for-new-baseball-stadium-on-dewdney-ave-1.5378036

Living Sky Sports and Entertainment is working with the WCBL's Regina Red Sox in efforts towards building a 3500 seat stadium just north of downtown.  Costs estimated at 20 to 25 million depending on amenities. 

Wow a 25 million dollar stadium for a team playing in a league that looks like it’s a regional type league . So it would be like if there was a League 1 Ontario type league that included Saskatchewan, Manitoba and say Alberta and say one of the teams in that league decides to build a 25 million dollar soccer stadium. That’s actually pretty impressive that a team in that league wants to spend that kind of money for a new baseball stadium.

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Wow a 25 million dollar stadium for a team playing in a league that looks like it’s a regional type league . So it would be like if there was a League 1 Ontario type league that included Saskatchewan, Manitoba and say Alberta and say one of the teams in that league decides to build a 25 million dollar soccer stadium. That’s actually pretty impressive that a team in that league wants to spend that kind of money for a new baseball stadium.

Well the goldeyes stadium in WPG cost over 20 mil, many years ago and its 7500 capacity.  What they are picturing in that article doesnt look anything like it, but with inflation etc, its probably right.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well the goldeyes stadium in WPG cost over 20 mil, many years ago and its 7500 capacity.  What they are picturing in that article doesnt look anything like it, but with inflation etc, its probably right.

I was looking at that baseball league it looks like a regional type league with teams in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta that’s pretty cool actually and to play in those type of baseball parks is impressive. I’m jealous as a soccer fan that we can’t have those types of regional leagues for soccer right across Canada like that . We are starting too in a way with League 1 Ontario and it’s equivalent in Quebec hopefully we get leagues in the west and even in the Maritimes like those two for soccer.

Edited by SoccMan

40 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I'm wondering what impact this stadium would have, if any, on a future CPL Regina team?

Depends on where the money comes from. There is a already a downtown ice hockey stadium proposal. If both happen the city, residents at least, might be stadiumed out. 

Might well be potential for a soccer stadium right next door to the baseball stadium though? It is a big parcel of land.

I presume it can't be used for both baseball and soccer?

31 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Depends on where the money comes from. There is a already a downtown ice hockey stadium proposal. If both happen the city, residents at least, might be stadiumed out. 

Might well be potential for a soccer stadium right next door to the baseball stadium though? It is a big parcel of land.

8 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I presume it can't be used for both baseball and soccer?

It's an interesting thought. Maybe not ideal yet it worked for NYC. Could be a long term play as LSSE wants a team in Regina once Saskatoon is up and running or it will go to Regina if Saskatoon City Council don't approve it. 

Honestly there will never be a team in Saskatoon if it doesn't happen with this. The set up is practically perfect and a minimum spend for the city/province in comparison to other projects like the rough riders which cost 15x's more. There isn't a better place for it so if it is ruled out it will never happen imo.

24 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Yeah it's a sketch. I really hope they put the pitch and stands tight though. Hate the blase walk around space in between the pitch and the stands. Contain the noise and atmosphere.

Assuming it is the existing one at Marquis Downs the problem might be that it is raised at the front with a shallow overall slope to the seating in a way that probably makes it awkward to see the edge of a soccer pitch from the front and back rows otherwise:

image.jpg

Grandstand.jpg

18 hours ago, SoccMan said:

The Regina Red Sox aren't the ones paying for the renders, and most of their contribution to the $5 million down.  That's LSSE.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

That's weird. Why would your best stand be on one of the ends?

The tweet says they had to be "convinced" of the north to south orientation.  Pretty clear that you can't have a keeper staring into a setting sun.

The new stands look like a copy from the modular structures Phoenix Rising built

image.png.7c0f5540b064c47df69717e4b3905960.png

15 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The tweet says they had to be "convinced" of the north to south orientation.  Pretty clear that you can't have a keeper staring into a setting sun.

Not sure what you are saying, that it would or wouldn't.

It seems to me that the stand looks north-west, so in the summer that far north you do get the setting sun going straight into that sight-line, right into that stand. 

Now we know that times for games can vary, if they play midday or early afternoon that light is fine with the main stand behind one goal.

Problem here is that Simpson admitted he had never been to a match outside of North American, and then they are asking engineers, who are not experts in stadiums or in what game-day atmosphere is all about. 

So I am getting a sense the guy does not know what he is doing.

First, establish where a field might lie in function of Fifa-approved dimensions, make the pitch average size.

Then, look at the terrain for any question that could be factor, like soil, drainage, environmental, etc. 

Third, focus on what sort of stadium works best for game-day experience for football fans. That helps you eliminate a track, think about proximity to a pitch, think about angle of stands (vertical better than flat), supporter groups behind goals.

Finally there are factors like pricing, how it is tiered. Are they going to charge more to be up high in a comfy stand behind a goal? The premium covered stand you already have gives you an automatic premium pricing option, but only if it on the centre line.

Think Al!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

If they went with the "east-west" alignment it looks like they might have a restricted view issue because the Marquis Downs grandstand isn't long enough to run along the entire side of a soccer pitch. Having it at the end with a large space in front means everybody in the expensive glassed-in part can easily see the whole field of play when looking straight on.

Grandstand.jpg

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If they went with the "east-west" alignment it looks like they might have a restricted view issue because the Marquis Downs grandstand isn't long enough to run along the entire side of a soccer pitch. Having it at the end with a large space in front means everybody in the expensive glassed-in part can easily see the whole field of play when looking straight on.

Grandstand.jpg

So you are arguing that people in a main stand centred over a field can't turn their heads left and right in function of where the ball is? 

Someone tell me why of all the stadiums in CPL, not one is what soccer fans would call "standard", maybe excepting Halifax. And when they start talking about a new one, they stay freaky. 

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If you are talking about the fans, I would say they are passionate, dedicated and opinionated.

I'm generally curious if this has been your experience, because I would say this describes a very select few of the fans I've met in stadiums in Canada over the years. Committed supporters aside, most just seem to be there to catch a game, but they know next to nothing about the players, teams or league. This holds true for MLS, NASL, USL, PDL, CPL, PCSL Varsity etc. I don't blame the fans. We give our players next to no recognition