Saskatoon CanPL

Will try to aggregate as much info RE: Saskatoon club in CanPL as I can here. 

Most recent article (I believe): https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/recreation-pitches-city-1.4296670

Focuses more on stadium presentation than anything else but that pres. was done by Joe Belan, who is the primary in the SK ownership group. 

Please link any new info you find on SK/Saskatoon. 

Really let myself get too sucked in believing this one was a go for the first year. Still sat in a pitty puddle. I think there is a huge amount of support and would be here as shown by the facebook group, which is barely scratching the surface.

Hopefully Joe Belan or someone in the potential ownership is in touch with the Bridge City Firm and are working together to grow things and keep them updated as much as they can. I think there are lots of people willing to help and spread the word. I can only imagine it's a bit chicken and egg, from an owners point of view they likely want to see the fans being proactive and mobilizing while from a supporter point of view I think there needs to be a bit of direction from the ownership to what can help make the club happen from our end.

From the outside its impossible to know what the hold up is. Its just sit tight and watch the first season at least go without us at the moment. Lots of speculations pieces put Saskatoon in the first 8 teams, the temporary stadium at Prairieland was speculated to be in place, which I actually prefer to a downtown location and all the noises were positive. Its been dead silent for a good 8 months now .

With all that said I don't have a clue who to follow for the first year. I don't know if I can break years of structured mental training to watch without rooting for a team. Can't be supporting Winnipeg/Edmonton as potential local rivals down the line. Likewise Calgary feels a bit wrong, but then so does supporting a team further afield.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

With all that said I don't have a clue who to follow for the first year. I don't know if I can break years of structured mental training to watch without rooting for a team. Can't be supporting Winnipeg/Edmonton as potential local rivals down the line. Likewise Calgary feels a bit wrong, but then so does supporting a team further afield.

I know it seems hard, but personally I have never been less interested in who wins the World Cup than this year, and yet have thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

is it for sure going to be Saskatoon or is Regina still in the mix as well?

Saskatoon seems more likely, but Belan has stated that both are possibilities. It's just that Saskatoon city council has been a bit more receptive so far and a club there wouldn't have to compete with the Roughriders as much.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:54 PM, lazlo_80 said:

Consider the only presentation that has been made publicly has been for Saskatoon. Also, Mosaic Stadium’s turf has the pointy ball lines sewn in, which won’t fly with CanPL head office. 

I’d speculate that closer to WC2026, when Mosaic’s turf needs to be replaced, we could see movement in Regina. CanPL will be a more mature League by then and there’ll probably be less investor fear (hopefully if all goes well for the initial five seasons). 

• 4 weeks later...

That was/is the plan, isn't it to play there? Whether the permission to do so is viable who knows. I would rather a permanent stadium was here to be honest. Parking is great as is the accessibility. Throw in some extra bus routes and river taxis and away we go! It really isn't that far from the city centre either. 

p.s. Gutted I missed the Smash n' bash. 

• 7 months later...

I think Saskatoon makes more sense from a stadium stand point. I can't know what's going on in Joe Belan's head but the tea leaves certainly point to Saskatoon.

Belan is doing a Q&A this evening in Saskatoon and one tomorrow in Regina. I'll be going to the Regina one, so we'll see if the topics of discussion are different between the two cities. It's kind of bad timing though, considering Regina's biggest tournament (WCP World Cup -- founded by former NT player Kevin Holness) is just getting underway :P

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

I think Saskatoon makes more sense from a stadium stand point. I can't know what's going on in Joe Belan's head but the tea leaves certainly point to Saskatoon.

Belan is doing a Q&A this evening in Saskatoon and one tomorrow in Regina. I'll be going to the Regina one, so we'll see if the topics of discussion are different between the two cities. It's kind of bad timing though, considering Regina's biggest tournament (WCP World Cup -- founded by former NT player Kevin Holness) is just getting underway :P

Guess who’s speaking to the WCP opening ceremonies tonight. ?

On 7/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, lazlo_80 said:

Regina has a CFL team, so I think Saskatoon is the smarter choice. The best places to make teams are either in populated areas, or places without teams of anything. Take Halifax.

Let's also not take that too literally though! Imagine a team in Yellowknife or Whitehorse. For good attendances the whole town would have to show up! ?

Courtesy of the legendary Luis Rancagua:

...As he was exiting the pitch, stage right, Vandale took time to issue a red card to an ongoing complaint of his -- the condition of creaky old Foothills Athletic Park.

"It's the biggest obstacle we faced,'' he reiterated. "We go to a one-off in Saskatoon and draw 6,000 fans, then we come home to Foothills and play in front of 1,500,'' he sighed.

"Calgary is a city of a million people with a lot more money than Saskatoon. So why (are) there 6,000 there and only 1,500 here? ...