Saskatoon CanPL

Someone suggested Sask County in the chat last night. Didn't like it initially but it grew on me. 

The video is up from last nights Q and A if anyone is interested on the Wheatpool Website:

www.thewheatpool.ca 

Some great take aways with the use of the stadium, his take on Grass vs Turf, honesty but a lot of vision and positivity. 

Edited by toontownman

He has provincewide territorial franchise rights in what is supposed to be an independent club based league would be what stands out in my opinion. That and the Joe Belan isn't getting a Saskatchewan team subtext to it all not long before a rival D2 was supposed to be going to the CSA AGM for sanctioning. Wouldn't be surprised if x number of years down the road we ultimately find out Bob Young is the main investor behind this in a similar manner to what is rumoured to be the case in Halifax.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 3/20/2021 at 12:25 PM, Raven said:

and Living Sky Sports has exclusive rights for the CPL for the whole province. He mentions 1st Saskatoon, then likely try and set up a team in Regina.

There's probably a time limit to the exclusivity. 

Edited by Macksam

On 3/20/2021 at 9:25 AM, Raven said:

and Living Sky Sports has exclusive rights for the CPL for the whole province. He mentions 1st Saskatoon, then likely try and set up a team in Regina.

I dislike this, in the sense that I think they should be avoiding owners having multiple teams and also granting one team rights to such a large swath of territory.

Edited by Watchmen

2 hours ago, narduch said:

MLS did the same thing when TFC joined,  except it was for all of Canada.

I doubt they granted TFC the right to put a 2nd team somewhere else in Canada or the ability to block a 2nd MLS team from being put somewhere in Canada, which seems to be what this move by the CPL is doing in Saskatchewan. 

Edited by Watchmen

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't they granted TFC the right to put a 2nd team somewhere else in Canada or the ability to block a 2nd MLS team from being put somewhere in Canada, which seems to be what this move by the CPL is doing in Saskatchewan. 

Believe it was exactly that.

Even recall Saputo bitching about it.

34 minutes ago, narduch said:

Believe it was exactly that.

Even recall Saputo bitching about it.

If they'd been given the right to block any new team in Canada, then both the Whitecaps and Impact would have been paying TFC a territorial rights fee, and I've never heard anything remotely like that.  But I'd be interested in it if you can pull it up.

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If they'd been given the right to block any new team in Canada, then both the Whitecaps and Impact would have been paying TFC a territorial rights fee, and I've never heard anything remotely like that.  But I'd be interested in it if you can pull it up.

Here you go.

TFC had exclusive Canada rights until the end of 2009.

Rights for Ontario continued afterwards. 

Back when TFC was awarded a franchise in 2005 MLS was still allowing ownership of multiple teams

Edited by narduch

On 3/25/2021 at 7:13 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He has provincewide territorial franchise rights in what is supposed to be an independent club based league would be what stands out in my opinion. That and the Joe Belan isn't getting a Saskatchewan team subtext to it all not long before a rival D2 was supposed to be going to the CSA AGM for sanctioning. Wouldn't be surprised if x number of years down the road we ultimately find out Bob Young is the main investor behind this in a similar manner to what is rumoured to be the case in Halifax.

From what I heard he has a company worth 1.5 billion and other business interests, so probably doesn't need Bob Young's money.  Exclusive rights to Saskatchewan could be time limited to allow him to get his team in Saskatoon up and running.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Here you go.

TFC had exclusive Canada rights until the end of 2009.

Rights for Ontario continued afterwards. 

Back when TFC was awarded a franchise in 2005 MLS was still allowing ownership of multiple teams

Interesting. Thanks for that. I guess the question would be if there's a time limit on Simpsons rights in Saskatchewan as well, and I'm still not a fan of multiple teams under one ownership. 

39 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Interesting. Thanks for that. I guess the question would be if there's a time limit on Simpsons rights in Saskatchewan as well, and I'm still not a fan of multiple teams under one ownership. 

Neither am I, but that was the only way that MLS survived and look at where they are now. So if that what it takes, I don't mind a few.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:53 PM, Watchmen said:

I would think it would have to be time limited.   There is no way CPL brass would grant someone an empire in SK forever.  

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would think it would have to be time limited.   There is no way CPL brass would grant someone an empire in SK forever.  

Absolutley. Let's be honest they pushed this to stop Joe Belan. If LSSE doesn't pan out in Saskatoon or subsequently Regina (which I have no reason to think it won't) I don't think the CPL would hesitate to accept another investor coming in. They want a Saskatchewan team.

For it to happen in Saskatoon it will hinge on City Council passing it. So if you have any relatives, relatives friends, your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate etc. That live in Sask or are willing to sign to say they support PLEASE push them to add their email to the list. Optics will be everything.

https://lsse.ca/support/

I know it's been posted before but it will be a big data piece.

Edited by toontownman

33 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Prairie Sky FC would not be bad.

🤮

Sounds like the watercolour painting club For Children. 

The name obviously fits the province but not one to strike fear or respect in anyone lol

Stick to something simple like Bridge City FC , Aurora FC or SKFC actually scratch the last one not fingering lickin good enough. None of my suggestions are much better to be fair. Probably has to be a more Saskatoon related name rather than province wide if Regina looks like getting a team down the road.