Jonathan David

Vince193

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Today was the moment that could see Jonathan's first ever true rookie card released after his goal. Keep your eyes out for Topps Now Champions League next release in the next couple days. It is something you will not want to miss. 

Depends how you define rookie card.  

*But I will keep an eye out for the Topps Now.  

320A0047-D16E-47E4-A181-1E6C00EFDFB4.jpeg

FC27CBE0-5FFD-42DA-B067-85A557F2B843.jpeg

That was a good performance by Lille, one of the better I've seen from them. 

Sevilla is a good team, I think they deserved to be ahead 1st half and seemed to be handling Lille, pressuring them and not letting them play. Lille is not as talented on the ball and will cough it up if pushed.

Then after the penalty things really turned, you could see a more confident Lille and then, with the 2nd goal, they did exceptionally well to control the match. I don't think Sevilla had any good chances 2nd half, and there were long stints where Lille was close to the third. You could argue it was a poor performance by the locals, and the crowd was unusually quiet I thought.

David is efficient, sometimes you feel he does a bit less than he could. 

They are getting good performances from a few players, like Renato Sanches, better than last year, Celik is a step up for them, even Bamba was better and more focused than usual. The keeper is a good find, and strong in the air. I think after losing the lead to PSG the other day they had the resolve not to lose the points. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Depends how you define rookie card.  

*But I will keep an eye out for the Topps Now.  

320A0047-D16E-47E4-A181-1E6C00EFDFB4.jpeg

FC27CBE0-5FFD-42DA-B067-85A557F2B843.jpeg

Oh I know, I have the Panimi XL cards, Jonathan signed one for me last month before the Panama game. The Panini XL cards were only sold in France, Topps Now would be his first major release if it were to happen. 

Well that was fun.

A dozen cards, a VAR penalty call, and a wide open Group after the final whistle.  Weeeee!

Glad for the PK, and can't complain about David's movement this match but I still don't know.  Lille is looking better, there's some intelligent improvement in the on field play in real time but still...

It's always a good day at the office when you score in Champions League.

None of Lille's wide or central mids are playmakers which generally makes for poor possession and few scoring opportunities. Sanches is  decent when he is on his game but is inconsistent. I'm not sure why they keep subbing out  Weah as he is the other mid that looks to have the most potential to create something and combine with the forwards. Great to see David continue with his hot scoring streak. 

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

None of Lille's wide or central mids are playmakers which generally makes for poor possession and few scoring opportunities. Sanches is  decent when he is on his game but is inconsistent. I'm not sure why they keep subbing out  Weah as he is the other mid that looks to have the most potential to create something and combine with the forwards. Great to see David continue with his hot scoring streak. 

It really makes it scary to think what Jonathan could do with consistent player makers arounds him, creating chances for him. A transfer to a big club like Liverpool just makes me drool (  thinking about what he could do. If you think he is great now, just wait ...

On 11/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, Stoppage Time said:

Was? What is the story behind this player? Is he still eligible? Thanks.

Not eligible for Canada.  He was born Montreal to Moroccan parents but left Canada at a young age and moved with his family back to Morroco where he grew up.  Joined the Moroccan powerhouse Wydad youth team before joining the senior team.  Soon after, he moved to Spain where he has been playing ever since.

Played for Morocco U 20 & U23 teams and has racked up 33 caps for the senior squad and has become the main keeper for their national team.  Similar to Tomori without the youth caps for Canada but very little connection to Canada aside from being born here and then moving away as a young child.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

Not eligible for Canada.  He was born Montreal to Moroccan parents but left Canada at a young age and moved with his family back to Morroco where he grew up.  Joined the Moroccan powerhouse Wydad youth team before joining the senior team.  Soon after, he moved to Spain where he has been playing ever since.

Played for Morocco U 20 & U23 teams and has racked up 33 caps for the senior squad and has become the main keeper for their national team.  Similar to Tomori without the youth caps for Canada but very little connection to Canada aside from being born here and then moving away as a young child.

Thanks for that, I was being lazy not filling it in.

I knew Bounou was Canadian-born when he was playing for Girona in 2nd division, which was only a few years ago, he went there in 2016 (Girona is owned by the same group as Man City, in fact Guardiola's brother Pere is a shareholder). So a guy on a team in Spanish 2nd was not going to replace Borjan, he was not going to be a big factor on our radar. He's only just now turned into a Spanish top flight keeper. He helped Girona promote, did not play much (if at all) in the year in top flight, and when they went down again transferred to Sevilla, in 2019. 

In any case, as you say, he has been in the Moroccan system since an u-20.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks for that, I was being lazy not filling it in.

I knew Bounou was Canadian-born when he was playing for Girona in 2nd division, which was only a few years ago, he went there in 2016 (Girona is owned by the same group as Man City, in fact Guardiola's brother Pere is a shareholder). So a guy on a team in Spanish 2nd was not going to replace Borjan, he was not going to be a big factor on our radar. He's only just now turned into a Spanish top flight keeper. He helped Girona promote, did not play much (if at all) in the year in top flight, and when they went down again transferred to Sevilla, in 2019. 

In any case, as you say, he has been in the Moroccan system since an u-20.

I agree 100%.  He is a unique case because has really just emerged as an elite keeper in the past couple of seasons.  In my opinion, he would be our number 1 goalie right now.  19 of his 33 caps have come in the past 3 years.  Only 14 caps in the first 8 years as a professional.

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Thought this was later so missed the first half.  How is he playing? 

Fine - he’s been pretty isolated per usual. He had a good chance in the first five minutes off a nice Yilmaz / Bamba pass and dummy. He got a decent strike and the keeper made a nice save. He could have done better but it was a solid effort IMO.