Jonathan David

Vince193

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Has David scored yet this season? Hope he doesn’t get off to another terrible start to the season 

Today is Lille's first match of the season. And it's their Super Cup. The league starts next week (match will be on One Soccer by the way)

So Lille wins 1-0. That end's PSG's 8 year winning streak for the Trophée des Champions.

David played 76 minutes.

Costa Rica's Navas was the GK for PSG. I wonder if that will be his last start as he is due to be released by Donnarumma.

Edited by narduch

40 minutes ago, narduch said:

Today is Lille's first match of the season. And it's their Super Cup. The league starts next week (match will be on One Soccer by the way)

I understand that lol - I was including the 5-6 preseason matches he has played in.

likely not a big deal but just a random observation 

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

I understand that lol - I was including the 5-6 preseason matches he has played in.

likely not a big deal but just a random observation 

Preseason is preseason. He was playing with Ikone as a strike partner for a lot of those games and only played a half for most of them. I really wouldn’t worry about a lack of production in preseason and I think he’ll hit the ground running this year. 

9 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I know I read somewhere that David didn’t want to go to Liverpool but it seems like a really good fit for his style of play… 

Call me grouchy but anything feels like a better fit than Lille. As much as I like watching Bamba hot dog and not look to find his teammates….

Edited by ag futbol

13 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I know I read somewhere that David didn’t want to go to Liverpool but it seems like a really good fit for his style of play… 

I’ve heard this a few times.. anyone have a source on this?

I decided to see what Liverpool fans had to say about the rumour and ending up finding out last year in a Belgian interview he said something along the lines that he liked a lot of premier league teams but specifically said he didn’t like Liverpool. Seems like a quote that’s gonna blow up if a transfer did happen and turn a lot of fans against him. 

I remember seeing a video of the interview. Not a smart thing to say in hindsight, but it felt like he was speaking as a care free teenager, as if he were just fan giving opinions on styles of play. He didn't even seem like he could put his finger on it, he just wasn't a fan of how they played. He didn't appear to dislike the club itself.

I don't think he would have anticipated his comments to be a problem back then, but perhaps it will be a lesson learned for speaking so candidly.

I can understand where he's coming from. Liverpool are annoying. Big club, successful, but think they're more real and legit than the other big clubs in their midst. Just as many glory hunting fans jump on the Liverpool bandwagon without the flak their cohorts get for following a Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal or United. For all their real community club baloney they still joined the breakaway six. Maybe not a traditional comment from him, but he's allowed to have a preference. Still many clubs for him to move to England to.

7 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I can understand where he's coming from. Liverpool are annoying. Big club, successful, but think they're more real and legit than the other big clubs in their midst. Just as many glory hunting fans jump on the Liverpool bandwagon without the flak their cohorts get for following a Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal or United. For all their real community club baloney they still joined the breakaway six. Maybe not a traditional comment from him, but he's allowed to have a preference. Still many clubs for him to move to England to.

John Henry joined the breakaway six, everyone else at the club was in horror at the prospect. The reality is is that Liverpool really is a special club and they do have an extremely tight community spirit. You don't go through Hillsborough and not come away with a little something that other clubs wouldn't have. They are a global brand also and it is run as such, but at the core it is one of the more "special" clubs in the world. Full disclosure, I am a Liverpool supporter.

In hindsight it was probably a dumb thing to say, but it is what it is. Hopefully people understand that as a Canadian saying this, it doesn't really mean much. It's not like he has a deep-seated dislike for them that he would have if he grew up in Manchester or something. I think he would be a great fit at Liverpool and I'm sure the prospect of playing under Klopp and with Salah and Mane on the wings, and challenging for the leauge and Europe every season would trump any surface-level preference he had against the club as a kid.

Edited by frmr