Jonathan David

Vince193

6 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I don’t think this 4-4-2 system does him any favours when the midfield lacks so much vision. David’s role is very much between the goal posts. Seems like half his goals were created on his own last year… running in for rebounds and anticipating. I would be interested to see how many of his 13 goals last year were actually assisted by a teammate. I think you put him on a top team and he produces for them.

You may be right.  I just see some things that it seems like most high level strikers can do things that he can’t - or at least doesn’t do well.   He very rarely beats defenders and doesn’t seem as fast as I used to think he was.  I also find he goes down way too easy looking for calls.   

I am probably sounding very critical when that isn’t really the case.   I just see things that I think need work if he wants to be a striker that can compete at the highest levels.   

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

David subbed off early..not a good performance.

As i said a few pages back, he also did nothing at all in the preseason so it was worrisome to me that he was headed for another slow start to the season

Completely different circumstances to start this season. No way in hell he needs 10+ games to score this year.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You may be right.  I just see some things that it seems like most high level strikers can do things that he can’t - or at least doesn’t do well.   He very rarely beats defenders and doesn’t seem as fast as I used to think he was.  I also find he goes down way too easy looking for calls.   

I am probably sounding very critical when that isn’t really the case.   I just see things that I think need work if he wants to be a striker that can compete at the highest levels.   

Honestly I agree with your criticisms and he does need to work on those areas of his game before he can be a starter for a top team. Maybe it’s my bias but I feel like his instincts and his clinical finishing make up for it quite a bit.

Just now, Floortom said:

David subbed off early..not a good performance.

As i said a few pages back, he also did nothing at all in the preseason so it was worrisome to me that he was headed for another slow start to the season

The Iceman needs some more fire.  I still don’t think Lille is the right place for him… kind of hoping that a disastrous start to the season for Lille may trigger a late panic transfer away.  

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He's never really shown the ability to take defenders on though - i dont think thats going to be something he develops.

I wish he was better with a defender on his back - where he can gather the ball, hold it up or even get a shot off. He's way too easily disposessed or just flops looking for a foul. 

One of David's greatest strengths and something he doesn't really get to showcase at Lille is his short passing and 1-2's. If he played with a tica taca style team he would excel but that style doesn't really seem to be in vogue in at the moment. I think he can develop his hold up play, but yeah I think it's obvious that Lille isn't the best place for his type of profile.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He's never really shown the ability to take defenders on though - i dont think thats going to be something he develops.

I wish he was better with a defender on his back - where he can gather the ball, hold it up or even get a shot off. He's way too easily disposessed or just flops looking for a foul. 

In this system he's a poacher plain and simple.  So that means he needs to be closer to Yilmaz - who looks slow and rusty - and service from wide areas.  Also you can't have Yazici as your central midfielder.  

He ran the break well in Belgium and did well sitting behind striker(s).   Early days, see what their team ends up being by the end of the transfer window. 

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In this system he's a poacher plain and simple.  So that means he needs to be closer to Yilmaz - who looks slow and rusty - and service from wide areas.  Also you can't have Yazici as your central midfielder.  

He ran the break well in Belgium and did well sitting behind striker(s).   Early days, see what their team ends up being by the end of the transfer window. 

And he’s quite a good poacher, but coaches need to accommodate a player like that, and being pulled by your new manager at 60’ when you’re up a man and needing goals isn’t a great sign. My hope is that this manager will try him in another role, because I don’t think we see the best of him. 

Great fight back by Lille 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Thats why Yilmaz is still by far the most important attacker on Lille. 

That seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction. David scored arguably the most important goals at the end of last season and it's one game into this season. David and Yilmaz are both extremely important to Lille.

4 minutes ago, frmr said:

That seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction. David scored arguably the most important goals at the end of last season and it's one game into this season. David and Yilmaz are both extremely important to Lille.

The difference is that Yilmaz can create goals out of nothing - and he did that all season last year. So even when Lille can’t create anything or connect two passes together a he’s able to generate opportunities on his own. That’s not something anyone else on this squad has shown the ability to do.

Just now, Floortom said:

The difference is that Yilmaz can create goals out of nothing - and he did that all season last year. So even when Lille can’t create anything or connect two passes together a he’s able to generate opportunities on his own. That’s not something anyone else on this squad has shown the ability to do.

Yeah I agree he probably is the most impactful attacker, but saying he is by far their most important attacker is an exaggeration. He's also 36 and has no transfer value. David also showed that he can turn a game around last season.

2 minutes ago, kacbru said:

How is this relevant? Transfermarket values don't win you anything.

I would consider monetary value an important factor in declaring someone an important player. Do you think Lille would prefer a career ending injury to David or Yilmaz?

34 minutes ago, frmr said:

I would consider monetary value an important factor in declaring someone an important player. Do you think Lille would prefer a career ending injury to David or Yilmaz?

I suspect they prefer that none of their players have career ending injuries.  What a strange question.