Jonathan David

Vince193

The coach playing a bit too much Football Manager,  if you put only one player (Andre, who aging a bit as well) in your mid and front six that has any kind of defensive nous, you are going to struggle to control the game. Your "best" players are not not your best team.  

For the record I don't think David would have made a huge difference. 

31 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

How many Canadians have played in Ligue 1?

Mike Klukowski (who also played for Lille) may have had some first team appearances.   Though i could be wrong.   We know that he was in their academy and or reserve side for at least two years before being transferred to Belgium.

Thats the only one i can think of.  

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

Mike Klukowski (who also played for Lille) may have had some first team appearances.   Though i could be wrong.   We know that he was in their academy and or reserve side for at least two years before being transferred to Belgium.

Thats the only one i can think of.  

I don't think Klukowski made it beyond the B team. Similarly, Brym and Bassong were with Lille's B team in the last few years and ZBG with Lyon 2.

I can't think of anyone besides David getting real Ligue 1 play time. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Do Ligue 1 (and others)  have something like this? 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/appearances?co=1&se=-1&cl=-1&iso=-1&po=-1?se=-1  (You need to reset the nationality every time and it is only from when the Premier League started)

Canadian stats.png

Radz: made his name in Belgium and through his play in Champions league while his was in Belgium.  Transferred to Everton Later in his career.

Forrest:  he was a backup keeper.  Do backup keepers still count as premier league players or premier league talent?   Hirshfeld was backup keeper at Tottenham also.  Went straight there from a lousy calgary USL team.

Stalteri:  Similar trajectory to Radzinski in that he made his mark elsewhere and only the. got interest from a PL club in England..

Arfield:  is really a scottish player (born, raised  and developed) but due to  some fifa regulations can count as canadian.  Lucklily for him they probably didnt know his father was canadian or his career might have been adversly affected 😀

Yallop:  i have only faint recaollection of his career but he was an english player who became a canadian.

Hoilet:  no arguments from me here.  Same with Simeon Jackson.  The only two good examples showing that going to play in england was good for their careers and for Canada

Other than that england has been lousy for for our MNT’s and Canadian soccer.  And the list is very long.  You cant compare to what Germany and German clubs (as well as several other european countries) have been able to do for developing and providing fair opportunities to canadian players or players who have left canada to go overseas to better their game in career.  Its not just Davies, its also “the unmentionable one”, Stalteri, JDG, mckenna, and several others that escape my mind. These players got oppotunities to play in top divisions and make themselves known.   Its the opposite in england where several promising talent would languish in the lower divsions and even if they were key players in getting their players promoted to top flight, the clubs would, drop them

Why that is? i dont know for sure.  But somewhere down the line or further down the list of reasons,  there might be a paternalistic or colonialistics attitudes as the reason for this.  For example, See the saga of the “almost transfer” of Dero to Newcastle.   Anyway, i dont feel any enjoyment or optimism when i hear of a certain interest in a canadian player from an english club.

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Radz: made his name in Belgium and through his play in Champions league while his was in Belgium.  Transferred to Everton Later in his career.

Interesting analysis but honestly not sure what you are saying.  That is just a list of appearances. The game was bad and we (I) got to talking about Canadians squaring off in the top five leagues.  I remember Radzinski v. Stalteri, though not much about the games themselves and was wondering if other leagues had similar resources to compare. 

I would say a couple things

Radzinski was a pretty regular player for 6 years for two clubs.

I know Forrest the best.  He was the regular starter for Ipswich for almost a couple seasons before he got a move to Chelsea where he was a backup.  He then played a bit more at my club, and ended up with 25 or so starts over 4 years there. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

Angers beat Lyon 3-0 this morning.

Looking like it will be a PSQ walkover this season.

The only thing that can stop them is an implosion due to Neymar and Ramos having to make space for each other and Messi as well.  I wouldn't bet against it.   

16 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Interesting analysis but honestly not sure what you are saying.  That is just a list of 

Ok. I missed the point that what you were doing was inquiring if there existed a similar portal to the one you posted but for other leagues.   
i took it to mean that you were posting a list of cnd players who have played in Eng in order to highlight the number of cnds players in england versus elsewhere.  So my reply should not have been to your post but as general off topic observation 

Edited by Free kick

On 8/14/2021 at 1:05 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Do Ligue 1 (and others)  have something like this? 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/appearances?co=1&se=-1&cl=-1&iso=-1&po=-1?se=-1  (You need to reset the nationality every time and it is only from when the Premier League started)

Canadian stats.png

Nothing provided by Ligue 1, but the closest thing seems to be a Wikipedia database of foreign Ligue 1 players: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Ligue_1_players:_C If you scroll down to Canada, it states that David is one of two Canadians to play in Ligue 1. 

The other, Ostap Steckiw wasn't really Canadian at all while he played in Ligue 1. Steckiw is a Ukrainian-born and raised player who spent 1948-1951 in Ligue 1 with Lyon, Valenciennes and Nice. It wasn't until after his Ligue 1 stint that Steckiw moved to Canada and spent a decade + with the Toronto/Montreal Ukrainians in the NSL. Eventually, Steckiw was able to naturalize and earned 1 Canadian international cap in 1957, scoring in a win versus the US.

42 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Nothing provided by Ligue 1, but the closest thing seems to be a Wikipedia database of foreign Ligue 1 players: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Ligue_1_players:_C If you scroll down to Canada, it states that David is one of two Canadians to play in Ligue 1. 

The other, Ostap Steckiw wasn't really Canadian at all while he played in Ligue 1. Steckiw is a Ukrainian-born and raised player who spent 1948-1951 in Ligue 1 with Lyon, Valenciennes and Nice. It wasn't until after his Ligue 1 stint that Steckiw moved to Canada and spent a decade + with the Toronto/Montreal Ukrainians in the NSL. Eventually, Steckiw was able to naturalize and earned 1 Canadian international cap in 1957, scoring in a win versus the US.

Steckiw is a really interesting story, thanks for bringing it to my attention.