Jonathan David

Vince193

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. If he played like he did for the second half of the season for the whole season we wouldn't even be having these conversations. He was one of the important players that won Lille the championship last season and we was scoring at a very good pace, so I don't see why that shouldn't continue into this season. We like to blame his teammates on this board, but David came into last season extremely unprepared for the challenge at hand (largely due to factors out of his control). With a proper preparation, his calm confidence back (having already won the whole damn thing), the trust of his teammates, and the experience and knowledge of how those players play... I think David will have a fine season.

Edited by frmr

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

Soumare definitely played a centre mid beside Andre, never on the wing. You might be thinking of someone else.

Or maybe he recalls Soumare being a centre mid, but taking up wide positions in order to provide an outlet. I don't really recall this, however.

Just now, Obinna said:

Or maybe he recalls Soumare being a centre mid, but taking up wide positions in order to provide an outlet. I don't really recall this, however.

Yeah me neither, Lille players were pretty static in their positioning under Galtier. Sanches was a guy who played both centre mid and wing depending where Galtier put him, definitely more wing towards the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Soumare definitely played a centre mid beside Andre, never on the wing. You might be thinking of someone else.

Weird.  It’s hard to mistake him for Luis Araujo or Xeka.  Likely old age on my part.  

The wide midfielders would often tuck inside and the full backs would take up winger positions. In those cases I think one or both of the centre mids would sometimes be a little wider than usual, taking up the position vacated by the pushed up full back. There was a tactical article on Galtier that mentioned something to that effect, I think, but I am having trouble remembering instances of it. I remember more that Celik would be high and wide and Bamba or Ikone would be tucked inside, getting on the ball in the positions I wanted David to be finding the ball in.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The wide midfielders would often tuck inside and the full backs would take up winger positions. In those cases I think one or both of the centre mids would sometimes be a little wider than usual, taking up the position vacated by the pushed up full back. There was a tactical article on Galtier that mentioned something to that effect, I think, but I am having trouble remembering instances of it. I remember more that Celik would be high and wide and Bamba or Ikone would be tucked inside, getting on the ball in the positions I wanted David to be finding the ball in.

Yeah I think this happened even more so on the right, often Andre would be found in the right back zone when Lille had possession.

We also have to ask, what does one mean that he played on the wing? In possession, or out of possession? My mind defaults to out of possession, but certainly in possession the centre mids would support the channels.

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

They already lost Maignan and Soumare. Sanches is rumored out next.

New manager.

Yilmaz and Fonte are 1 year older.

PSG are retooling. 

I think Lille will be lucky to be top 3

I honestly couldn't really care less how Lille does now that they won last year. I just want David to be top 3 scoring in the league and then get another big money move and keep climbing his way to the top.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

I honestly couldn't really care less how Lille does now that they won last year. I just want David to be top 3 scoring in the league and then get another big money move and keep climbing his way to the top.

Agreed. It's like they're playing with house money now in my eyes. Another trophy would be nice, but the main thing I want to see if for David to better his production from last season and grow his reputation. I guess I don't care where they finish in the table, but I don't want them falling out of the top half, ideally. That could potentially tarnish David's scoring exploits, which I expect will be substantial this campaign.

Is asking for +20 Ligue 1 goals too much?

If he keeps his scoring pace from the second half of last season he'd reach that.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is asking for +20 Ligue 1 goals too much?

I don't think so. I think 20+ league goals and ~30 all comps would be 👌. Not that this should be any sort of real predictor but his numbers last season weren't that different than his first season with Gent, and if that pattern was to continue in France, he was well on his way to ~30 goals in all competitions in his second season before the Belgian league got stopped. He continues to get better so I think we'll see the best JD yet this year.

Watching the first half of today’s Lille friendly…It’ll be a long year for David if they plan on using Ikone in the #10 roll.  It’s even more frustrating when he’s in the centre of the pitch… the guy can’t pass with any accuracy and is a horrible decision maker.  He also doesn’t seem to make any unselfish runs to create space.

Edited by TOcanadafan

40 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Watching the first half of today’s Lille friendly…It’ll be a long year for David if they plan on using Ikone in the #10 roll.  It’s even more frustrating when he’s in the centre of the pitch… the guy can’t pass with any accuracy and is a horrible decision maker.  He also doesn’t seem to make any unselfish runs to create space.

Yilmaz is the starting #10 but he's not playing yet due to load maintenance from the Euros.

50 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Hopefully they play how they were at the end of last season because that was their best formation.

At the end of the 1st half of the last friendly the two Portuguese players on Lille, Xeka and Djalo got into a fight and were both red-carded. 

There's a partial view at the end of this clip

https://sportnieuws.nl/voetbal/buitenland/vechtende-spelers-lille-xeka-tiago-djalo-oefenduel-onderling-ruzie-op-veld/