Jonathan David

Vince193

I'm curious to see if they can keep their goals against down as low as last year.  Team defense is very much down to coaching, so I'm keen to see if the replacement coach does as well in that regard.  To me, it looked like that aspect of their game is what won them the championship last year.  If they slip and start allowing more goals against, I don't think they have a hope in hell of winning the title again.

4 hours ago, frmr said:

David gets the start in a friendly against Benfica.

Trying to figure out the line up here...Andre seems like the only CM.

Was Ikone inside again (thought he was going to the Olympics btw)? Yazici and Ikone as dual 8s with Andre at the 6?

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Trying to figure out the line up here...Andre seems like the only CM.

Was Ikone inside again (thought he was going to the Olympics btw)? Yazici and Ikone as dual 8s with Andre at the 6?

Yazici was in the middle with Andre.  Ikone roamed but was mostly playing behind David.

3 hours ago, rkomar said:

I'm curious to see if they can keep their goals against down as low as last year.  Team defense is very much down to coaching, so I'm keen to see if the replacement coach does as well in that regard.  To me, it looked like that aspect of their game is what won them the championship last year.  If they slip and start allowing more goals against, I don't think they have a hope in hell of winning the title again.

Coaching and Maignan.  Maignan was incredible for them, in my opinion.  Definitely a bigger loss than Soumare so far.

New interview on the LOSC site.

One year ago, Jonathan David arrived at LOSC from KAA Gent (Belgium). Ambitious, the native of Brooklyn wasted no time, winning the French championship with his partners in his first season. Real executioner of the defenses of Ligue 1 Uber Eats (13 goals), Jonathan David is not satisfied. Back with the group after a well-deserved vacation, the number 9 Lille delivers his ambitions, talks about the arrival of Jocelyn Gourvennec and praises the return of José Fonte. Interview.
You joined the group during an internship in the Netherlands two weeks ago. How were your holidays ?  
(Smiles)  When you've just been crowned champion, you can only have a good vacation! These few days allowed me to rest with my family and my friends in Canada. And then, I also had time to think about what we had just accomplished together. It was crazy. 

Now that you allude to it… Have you taken the time to digest this title? 
The time, I took it. But I think people don't realize how tough it is to win a title. I didn't realize it myself. I tell myself that we did something incredible. We will realize this all the more in the future, it is obvious.  

And from a personal point of view, how do you see your first season in the Lille jersey? 
We were crowned champions, so obviously it ended well (he smiles). Now, I am not forgetting my difficulties at the start of the season. I made a lot of progress and the second part of the championship went very well. I arrived in a new club, in a new league and in a new country. Obviously, it takes time to adapt. It lasted a bit, it's true. But it ended well. 

A few days after your title of Champion of France, you joined your national team to play four matches. You even scored four goals. What are your goals with Canada? 
We want to qualify for the World Cup. We have a very good, very tight-knit group. Our coach  (John Herdman, editor's note) did a really big job. Now we move forward, we continue to win. It is a dream for every football player to play in a World Cup and represent his country. The World Cup is played every four years, so to have a chance to play it, you have to be efficient.  

Speaking of a competition you want to discover, you are going to play, for the first time in your career, the UEFA Champions League.  
When I arrived at LOSC, I knew it was a very ambitious club playing at the top of the table. I knew I would have the opportunity to play in the Champions League by signing here. At the start of the season, it wasn't something I thought about because I was taking game after game. And then, as we went along, we started to think about it, more and more strongly. It is the best European competition for clubs. It's exciting, I can't wait to get started. 

And then you can listen with your own ears to the Champions League anthem, music so dear to every footballer.
To tell you a secret, I often heard players talk about the Champions League anthem. They all say that she is exceptional, that she gives the chills. When we tell you that, you want to experience it for yourself!  

This summer, Jocelyn Gourvennec took over from Christophe Galtier. How do you judge his first steps at the head of LOSC? 
We chatted when I arrived in the Netherlands. Over the days, he gives me more instructions. He is a calm person who knows what he wants. He knows how to do it. Over time, I'm sure we'll do good things together.  

Against SL Benfica (0-1), the team made a good performance but lacked success, like your strike on the crossbar. Is that also how you feel?  
To be honest, I felt on the pitch that we had moved to another level. There was a big difference in intensity compared to previous matches, from their side as from ours. With the sequence of matches, we progress, we regain form, we put our game in place. We are more and more dangerous, and we must continue. In my opinion, we are not yet 100%, including myself, but we are getting closer. I have had opportunities. Now I have to be decisive.  

In the stands of the Estàdio Algarve, we heard a familiar voice, that of José Fonte, who has extended his contract for another season. I imagine it is a satisfaction for you and the group to find your captain! 
Obviously we are happy to find him. José brings leadership and discipline. It puts us all in the right direction. With him, everyone knows what to do, and this is very important for a group. We have performed in our discipline thanks to him. The role of captain is something he has in him. It is made for this. He is preparing to join us in a match, and we also want to find him quickly.  

In a few days, you will face Paris Saint-Germain at the Trophée des Champions. What are the group's ambitions before this meeting? 
It's a final. We're going to play it to win, to lift the cup. Last season we played a very important game against them (0-1 victory at Parc des Princes, 31st day of Ligue 1 Uber Eats) . Although I have fond memories of it, I know it will be a very different game. But we will do everything to win and make our supporters proud. 

What are your ambitions for this season? 
I want us to go as far as possible in all the competitions in which we are going to play, including the Champions Trophy. We want to finish as high as possible everywhere. Regarding the championship, we will see at the end of the season where we are, and what we can do. Personally, I want to score as much as possible and be as decisive as possible. Obviously, I want to be better than last season in terms of statistics. Like any competitor. 

Supporters, I only have one thing to tell you:  See you soon  ! 

On 7/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, frmr said:
New interview on the LOSC site.

One year ago, Jonathan David arrived at LOSC from KAA Gent (Belgium). Ambitious, the native of Brooklyn wasted no time, winning the French championship with his partners in his first season. Real executioner of the defenses of Ligue 1 Uber Eats (13 goals), Jonathan David is not satisfied. Back with the group after a well-deserved vacation, the number 9 Lille delivers his ambitions, talks about the arrival of Jocelyn Gourvennec and praises the return of José Fonte. Interview.
You joined the group during an internship in the Netherlands two weeks ago. How were your holidays ?  
(Smiles)  When you've just been crowned champion, you can only have a good vacation! These few days allowed me to rest with my family and my friends in Canada. And then, I also had time to think about what we had just accomplished together. It was crazy. 

Now that you allude to it… Have you taken the time to digest this title? 
The time, I took it. But I think people don't realize how tough it is to win a title. I didn't realize it myself. I tell myself that we did something incredible. We will realize this all the more in the future, it is obvious.  

And from a personal point of view, how do you see your first season in the Lille jersey? 
We were crowned champions, so obviously it ended well (he smiles). Now, I am not forgetting my difficulties at the start of the season. I made a lot of progress and the second part of the championship went very well. I arrived in a new club, in a new league and in a new country. Obviously, it takes time to adapt. It lasted a bit, it's true. But it ended well. 

A few days after your title of Champion of France, you joined your national team to play four matches. You even scored four goals. What are your goals with Canada? 
We want to qualify for the World Cup. We have a very good, very tight-knit group. Our coach  (John Herdman, editor's note) did a really big job. Now we move forward, we continue to win. It is a dream for every football player to play in a World Cup and represent his country. The World Cup is played every four years, so to have a chance to play it, you have to be efficient.  

Speaking of a competition you want to discover, you are going to play, for the first time in your career, the UEFA Champions League.  
When I arrived at LOSC, I knew it was a very ambitious club playing at the top of the table. I knew I would have the opportunity to play in the Champions League by signing here. At the start of the season, it wasn't something I thought about because I was taking game after game. And then, as we went along, we started to think about it, more and more strongly. It is the best European competition for clubs. It's exciting, I can't wait to get started. 

And then you can listen with your own ears to the Champions League anthem, music so dear to every footballer.
To tell you a secret, I often heard players talk about the Champions League anthem. They all say that she is exceptional, that she gives the chills. When we tell you that, you want to experience it for yourself!  

This summer, Jocelyn Gourvennec took over from Christophe Galtier. How do you judge his first steps at the head of LOSC? 
We chatted when I arrived in the Netherlands. Over the days, he gives me more instructions. He is a calm person who knows what he wants. He knows how to do it. Over time, I'm sure we'll do good things together.  

Against SL Benfica (0-1), the team made a good performance but lacked success, like your strike on the crossbar. Is that also how you feel?  
To be honest, I felt on the pitch that we had moved to another level. There was a big difference in intensity compared to previous matches, from their side as from ours. With the sequence of matches, we progress, we regain form, we put our game in place. We are more and more dangerous, and we must continue. In my opinion, we are not yet 100%, including myself, but we are getting closer. I have had opportunities. Now I have to be decisive.  

In the stands of the Estàdio Algarve, we heard a familiar voice, that of José Fonte, who has extended his contract for another season. I imagine it is a satisfaction for you and the group to find your captain! 
Obviously we are happy to find him. José brings leadership and discipline. It puts us all in the right direction. With him, everyone knows what to do, and this is very important for a group. We have performed in our discipline thanks to him. The role of captain is something he has in him. It is made for this. He is preparing to join us in a match, and we also want to find him quickly.  

In a few days, you will face Paris Saint-Germain at the Trophée des Champions. What are the group's ambitions before this meeting? 
It's a final. We're going to play it to win, to lift the cup. Last season we played a very important game against them (0-1 victory at Parc des Princes, 31st day of Ligue 1 Uber Eats) . Although I have fond memories of it, I know it will be a very different game. But we will do everything to win and make our supporters proud. 

What are your ambitions for this season? 
I want us to go as far as possible in all the competitions in which we are going to play, including the Champions Trophy. We want to finish as high as possible everywhere. Regarding the championship, we will see at the end of the season where we are, and what we can do. Personally, I want to score as much as possible and be as decisive as possible. Obviously, I want to be better than last season in terms of statistics. Like any competitor. 

Supporters, I only have one thing to tell you:  See you soon  ! 

For someone who was born and lived less than one year there, how exactly is he a "native of Brooklyn"?

Edited by MtlMario

28 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

For someone who was born and lived less than one year there, how do exactly is he a "native of Brooklyn"?

I wouldn't worry about it. They probably just think it's cool that he was born in Brooklyn or something. Everyone knows he's Canadian. It feels nice having a star player and not having to worry about fighting for the fact that he's Canadian. It's so nice that we didn't have the usual dual-national drama with David and Davies.

46 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

For someone who was born and lived less than one year there, how do exactly is he a "native of Brooklyn"?

You want to fill an article and not repeat the same name and phrases.  Writing sports at a (very very tiny) paper taught me that you find every which way to describe a subject. 

My favourite one the rags use here -  for any player slightly above average height - is "colossus" 

52 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

This is very typical in France, and Spain as well. Perhaps more southern European countries. They'll call a game for tv and they'll make references to the nationality, to the origins, the birthplace, instead of using the player's name. They look for synonyms constantly. In print journalism as well. Also do it for coaches. 

One interesting consequence is that, for example for me in Spain, I know where a lot of players are from, their hometowns, however small. Or the county. 

I think a kind of equivalent is how in NFL or NBA you can often hear what college they went to, "the 5th year tackle out of Oregon" and the like. 

Eek-- maybe I'm reading into preseason results too much, but my personal prediction for the coming Ligue 1 season and UCL campaign is a 6th place finish and a bottom of the group elimination. They are seriously missing the presences of Maignan and Soumare.

All this ensures that David is sold to Liverpool after hitting 30 goals in all comps😎

46 minutes ago, SwedishBadMan said:

Eek-- maybe I'm reading into preseason results too much, but my personal prediction for the coming Ligue 1 season and UCL campaign is a 6th place finish and a bottom of the group elimination. They are seriously missing the presences of Maignan and Soumare.

All this ensures that David is sold to Liverpool after hitting 30 goals in all comps😎

There are more rumours now. Inter and Fiorentina are chasing Celik.

Just now, narduch said:

There are more rumours now. Inter and Fiorentina are chasing Celik.

There are a ton of rumours.  Sanches is the other one I still am hearing a fair bit. But also the Jonathans and even Burak.

Low transfer activity everywhere though, I probably should not be surprised they still have most of the team.

They overachieved.  Anyone beating PSG had to.  But remember David was not the biggest factor early, by his own admission.  He hits the ground running and it's hard to see them drop too far.  (Barring a huge late sell off without decent replacements.)